PDA

View Full Version : Don't drink and drive over the holiday period

Jimbuna
12-21-16, 07:39 AM
A warning to all of you that live in or around Newcastle (or anywhere else) at this festive time.
Be careful about drink driving now we are getting near to Christmas and police are out there checking on people.
Last night I was out for a few drinks. One thing led to another and I had a few too many beers and then went on the vino. Not a good idea.
Knowing I was over the limit I decided to leave my car at the Bridge Tavern and took a bus home along Scotswood Road back to Shields.
Sure enough I passed a number of checkpoints where they were pulling over drivers and performing breathalyser tests.
Because I was in a bus they just waved it past.

Arrived home safely and without incident, which was a real surprise as I've never driven a bus before and I am not even sure where I got it from...

Merry Christmas to you all.

August
12-21-16, 08:04 AM
:haha: :salute: :up:

Rhodes
12-21-16, 09:50 AM
:Kaleun_Thumbs_Up::Kaleun_Cheers::haha:!
Jim, never do mixes. They are terrible... :Kaleun_Sick:

DragonRider
12-21-16, 09:52 AM
:har:

AVGWarhawk
12-21-16, 10:36 AM
:up:

Commander Wallace
12-21-16, 10:43 AM
A warning to all of you that live in or around Newcastle (or anywhere else) at this festive time.
Be careful about drink driving now we are getting near to Christmas and police are out there checking on people.
Last night I was out for a few drinks. One thing led to another and I had a few too many beers and then went on the vino. Not a good idea.
Knowing I was over the limit I decided to leave my car at the Bridge Tavern and took a bus home along Scotswood Road back to Shields.
Sure enough I passed a number of checkpoints where they were pulling over drivers and performing breathalyser tests.
Because I was in a bus they just waved it past.

Arrived home safely and without incident, which was a real surprise as I've never driven a bus before and I am not even sure where I got it from...

Merry Christmas to you all.

That's how an intelligent and responsible person is supposed to handle driving and the consumption of alcoholic drinks.:Kaleun_Thumbs_Up: If you drink, get a ride, stay where you are or have a designated driver.

I get together now and then with friends I have had since I was a kid and we always pick a designated driver for the evening which more often than not, is me. We have gone right through checkpoints, which are a good Idea, with no problems or issues. I never forgot the story of a family of 5 around the holidays. The youngest was about 2 and was left with another family member for a few hours. The family of 4 then was on the way home from shopping at the mall when their car was hit by 2 teenagers who were street racing.

The entire family was killed in the accident. It was later determined the teens had been drinking and thought it a good idea to drink and then race each other on a busy thoroughfare. I had no connection to any of them but it still bothers me as the child who wasn't with them lost his entire family over something stupid. I think of them often, more so around this time of the year.

One question though, " you drove the bus " ? Did you mean you " rode " the bus.

Quote : Arrived home safely and without incident, which was a real surprise as I've never driven a bus before and I am not even sure where I got it from...

:Kaleun_Wink:Have a nice and festive holiday season everyone, hopefully with family and stay safe. We want everyone back in the New Year.

Eichhörnchen
12-21-16, 12:33 PM
:har: I just never saw that coming :haha:

Schroeder
12-21-16, 12:43 PM
One question though, " you drove the bus " ? Did you mean you " rode " the bus.

It was a joke. He implied that he stole a bus to drive home.:yep:

Jesus, now the Germans have to explain humor...what has the world come to?:wah::wah:

Commander Wallace
12-21-16, 12:55 PM
It was a joke. He implied that he stole a bus to drive home.:yep:

Jesus, now the Germans have to explain humor...what has the world come to?:wah::wah:

I thought as much but sometimes things get lost in translation from one country to another. :yep: That's why I asked.

Look at Eichhörnchen and his English usage. :D

August
12-21-16, 02:24 PM
...sometimes things get lost in translation from one country to another.

You mean from Texas? :)

Eichhörnchen
12-21-16, 03:50 PM
Wot? I speaks the bestest Inglish on this hole forum :06:

Platapus
12-21-16, 04:24 PM
Be sure to drink and drive on New Year's Eve. Hundreds of EMT students need the field work to qualify.

But please fill out an organ donar card so that something useful will come out of your life.

mapuc
12-21-16, 04:41 PM
I understand Jim toke(stole) a bus to drive home safely after a visit at the local pub. But I didn't get whether he toke the first bus there was in the garage or he had to mover all the other busses so he could get the right one-The one with the correct number

(and I know it's a joke)

Markus

Commander Wallace
12-21-16, 06:52 PM
Wot? I speaks the bestest Inglish on this hole forum :06:

I'm sure. :haha: you does speak gooder englishe than I do. :D

As far as the thread theme, I will repeat what a friend says who smokes " different " things.

" Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly " ? :03:

Sometimes August, I think Texas is another world. Back to you Neal. :03:

Sailor Steve
12-21-16, 07:25 PM
A very old joke, posted at least twice in the Joke thread over the years, usually as a slam against the Irish, with "Paddy" taking the place of "I".

Commander Wallace
12-22-16, 06:41 AM
I had never heard it before my friend said that and I certainly never saw it in the forums. Even with that, your point would be what ?

DragonRider
12-22-16, 07:26 AM
It’s a classic joke and the way it was used here left you not expecting that certain punch line.
As Steve said posted a few times on the forums :up:

Sailor Steve
12-22-16, 07:37 AM
I had never heard it before my friend said that and I certainly never saw it in the forums.
It's there. Have I ever mentioned that I consider my memory to be a curse, not a blessing?

Even with that, your point would be what ?
My point would be to tweak Jim, who is my best friend in the whole world.

Commander Wallace
12-22-16, 07:47 AM
It's there. Have I ever mentioned that I consider my memory to be a curse, not a blessing?

My point would be to tweak Jim, who is my best friend in the whole world.

Again, your point is what ? Steve, who cares if that saying is in the forum ? Do you by chance have a copyright to it ? As far as Jim, no one took a shot at him. Why would anyone want to ? Jim gave good and reasonable advice. We made a joke. Simple as that.

I said it before Steve, if you want to be a school marm, leave it at home. We are not here to be lectured to by you.

August
12-22-16, 09:02 AM
Again, your point is what ? Steve, who cares if that saying is in the forum ? Do you by chance have a copyright to it ? As far as Jim, no one took a shot at him. Why would anyone want to ? Jim gave good and reasonable advice. We made a joke. Simple as that.

I said it before Steve, if you want to be a school marm, leave it at home. We are not here to be lectured to by you.

You're taking this way too seriously. Jim did not give reasonable advice. He made a joke and Steves reply was a joke to Jim as well.

Wolferz
12-22-16, 05:23 PM
Jim probably posted that immediately upon his arrival home.
(Drunk posting)

Good joke though. But you can use a different strategy to get past a check point by peeling the label off of your beer bottle and stick it to your forehead and just tell the inspecting officer that you're on the patch and have no need to drink.
:yeah::O:

All of the bus passengers are still wondering how they ended up in Surrey.