PDA

View Full Version : Subsim main page & forum mobile style added

Onkel Neal
08-24-16, 06:14 AM
Neal, was it possible to do something in Nucleus to show news in a way more suited for mobile devices?

Yes sir, now the main page with the news sections should be able to detect mobiles and respond appropriately. And the latest five reviews too. I am looking to options for converting the bulk of the site to a dynamic system, although I don't really think there is a lot of value to this, considering it could mean adding mobile duplicates of all 813 webpages.

Apps are not nessesarily the best option, so maybe theres options...

1) Tapatalk
Tons of the traffic goes to the forums and vBulletin supports Tapatalk, which is a great app for forums.

2) Mobile version of Subsim
A cleaner version of Subsim, where the news is just a list of news topics
A link to the forums

Responsive mobile style added. If you are on a smartphone, the mobile version is all you should be able to view. Any testing and feedback is welcome.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=994&pictureid=9137

Sorry for taking so long to implement, Jon. I really need a kick in the butt for dragging this out. :O:

Elphaba
09-21-16, 09:28 PM
Could you please disable viewing the mobile version on iPads please?

I rock the 12.9" pro, as well as a 9.7" pro and I don't need a cutdown mobile version. Fine on my iPhone, but not on my iPads please,

Onkel Neal
09-21-16, 10:05 PM
I'll see if I can make that change to the script.

Elphaba
09-21-16, 10:35 PM
That would be wonderful. Thank you. I wish all other sites were so considerate.

Onkel Neal
09-22-16, 09:56 AM
PM for testing sent.

Onkel Neal
12-16-16, 11:16 AM
So, is anyone using the mobile platform?

It's been up about 6 months now, Comments and feedback welcome.

u crank
12-16-16, 11:33 AM
I meant to comment earlier but forgot. I use it every day and although at first I didn't like the change, once I got use to it I think it's great. Much easier to navigate than the full site. I usually check in every hour or so when I'm away from home.

I give it :up::up:

:D

Buddahaid
12-16-16, 11:43 AM
Yes I use it and as I recall my phone didn't give me much choice about it. At first I hated it because I hadn't asked for it, but since then I'm accustomed to it and it works great.

Redwake
12-16-16, 12:40 PM
I didn't even know there was a mobile app, ill look for it now.

Rhodes
12-16-16, 01:28 PM
I didn't even know there was a mobile app, ill look for it now.
The same. I am still using tapatalk.

Redwake
12-16-16, 02:14 PM
Just downloaded it, so far so good, will report more once iv done some exploring.

VirtualVikingX
12-16-16, 02:16 PM
I use Tapatalk. I get informed that the forum plugin isn't up to date.

No biggie; but might be worth a look?

THEBERBSTER
12-16-16, 05:17 PM
Never new anything about this until now.
Peter

Rockin Robbins
12-16-16, 07:36 PM
It's much less confining than Tapatalk. Still, browsing on a cell phone is like driving while looking through a toilet paper tube. There's no way to make it an enjoyable experience. The web is just too big to be comfortable on a 5" screen.

I can't automatically go to the last post. I can't go to my last unread post. I just feel like a cripple whenever I have to use a cell phone for the internet. I don't think the experience is savable.

fireftr18
12-16-16, 09:15 PM
I didn't know there was an app. I won't be using it though. When I'm away from my computer, I'm usually too busy to bother getting online. I like the bigger screen of the computer.

Rockstar
12-16-16, 10:40 PM
I use it on my cell phone when I visit on lunch breaks, I like it a lot. Though I prefer the full site when Im using my iPad.

blkdimnd
12-16-16, 11:49 PM
I'd use it if it was available on Android. Mostly use Tapatalk, but the mobile webpage looks good too.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jimbuna
12-17-16, 06:57 AM
I use it on occasion with my iPhone but I find the small screen size makes it lose a lot of its appeal, much preferring the computer monitor at home.

GoldenRivet
12-17-16, 02:30 PM
if you're talking about an APP through the app store. i had no idea there was one. (and i would not be very likely to download an app and use it for access to subsim... Im just not a big APP guy)

if you're talking about accessing subsim through safari on iphone, i do that almost every day. the format is easy to use. though i wondered why the change was warranted because the desktop version of subsim worked just fine too and was what i was used to seeing every day anyhow.

honestly, it works just fine, and i dont really have much of an opinion about it one way or another beyond that i guess :hmmm:

Onkel Neal
12-17-16, 04:41 PM
No app, just a mobile version.

The desktop version worked ok for me too, that's what pinch-zoom is for, right? But I was getting a lotta flack from mobile users, etc so we added the mobile version.

thanks for the feedback

Redwake
12-17-16, 07:36 PM
I bounce back and forth between my mobile and my laptop, so the small screen is never an issues as stated above me, pinch and zoom. But so far that app seems to run fine, obviously not as detailed as a actual computer but it has enough the website to be functional.

VirtualVikingX
07-01-17, 03:53 AM
I use Tapatalk. I get informed that the forum plugin isn't up to date.

No biggie; but might be worth a look?

Would it be possible to reinstate the Tapatalk functionality?