PDA

View Full Version : OM Patrol Log

cadaha
08-22-16, 12:41 PM
Hi,

I've reinstalled SH4 and added OM Mod as I like the ATO. I had issues before with saves crashing when loading but I am trying with a clean install of SH4. I've read a lot of posts regarding saved game crashes with Mega Mods and hopefully I'll be able to conduct a career relatively painlessly.

I tried to change the nav map bearing tool to the 3000 metre one but had no success. The OM bearing tool is one of the things I dislike but will have to cope with if I want to play the campaign. I did carry out the procedure of adding subs to the mod data file but still no success. OM doesn't seem to have added the xxx_shp.dds file to any of the type VII folders even though the OM bearing tool is shown, so I'm not sure which boat the type VII's use for display on the nav map.

Anyhow I've just started my first patrol (96 hrs off the western approaches) and I have already have my first victim (600km west of Brest), 8000 tons of lovely cargo vessel. Setup as I normally would but this time I'm using metric for realism so speed was calculated at 3'15" which equals distance in metres x 10 = spd in kts. Fire 2 fish, 2 impacts and a very nice explosion.

Settings are all realistic use of fuel/O2/battery life etc and also manual targeting. I'm keeping external view for any screen shots but have event camera turned off.

http://www.carlhackman.com/images/sh4_om_01_01.jpg

I'll keep you updated on progress and let you know if I come across any issues as my career develops.

Threadfin
08-22-16, 02:13 PM
I highly recommend the KiUB periscope mod. It's great, keeps everything you need for manual right there on the same screen.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o215/dbond88/KiUBpic_zps079b9c6f.png

Here's one of my OM careers with more shots http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215991 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215991)
in case you might be interested. Played 'dead is dead', at 88% with only map contacts enabled.

cadaha
08-22-16, 02:33 PM
I highly recommend the KiUB periscope mod. It's great, keeps everything you need for manual right there on the same screen.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o215/dbond88/KiUBpic_zps079b9c6f.png

Here's one of my OM careers with more shots http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215991 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215991)
in case you might be interested. Played 'dead is dead', at 88% with only map contacts enabled.

Looking forward to the career, reading your log at the moment. I'm going to add OMEGU and KiUB as well as I like the idea of not having to switch screens when making the attack. I use the Fast 90 method of manual targeting which works very well for me. I can set up everything before I'm in position and only have to re-check course and speed to fine tune the solution as the target closes.

cadaha
08-22-16, 02:46 PM
Okay, well that was an inauspicious start. First saved game crashed. No contacts around,had just sunk the only one in the area.

I have no other mods activated just the three OM ones. If anyone knows how to prevent this happening I'd be very grateful for advice because this is one Mod I'd love to be able to play :(

Threadfin
08-22-16, 03:04 PM
I still get crashes (I'm in the midst of another OM career). I save often. Before and after every attack at least, and occasionally other times, if we've gone a while without a contact. Have you applied the Large Address Aware fix? I don't know what effect it might have on OM, but I found it essential to play mods like Trigger Maru and Real Fleet Boat. I had already applied it before I tried OM, so can't speak to it's effect. But as mentioned I still get crashes in OM even with it.

Read about the fix here

http://www.subsowespac.org/the-patrol-zone/give-silent-hunter-4-a-memory-boost.shtml

cadaha
08-22-16, 05:08 PM
I still get crashes (I'm in the midst of another OM career). I save often. Before and after every attack at least, and occasionally other times, if we've gone a while without a contact. Have you applied the Large Address Aware fix? I don't know what effect it might have on OM, but I found it essential to play mods like Trigger Maru and Real Fleet Boat. I had already applied it before I tried OM, so can't speak to it's effect. But as mentioned I still get crashes in OM even with it.

Read about the fix here

http://www.subsowespac.org/the-patrol-zone/give-silent-hunter-4-a-memory-boost.shtml

I've applied the 4gb utility and will try again, thanks :)

cadaha
08-24-16, 07:08 AM
Fresh install and load of OM mods, now to start again.

First patrol very quiet (possibly because it is 1939). Sank 3 coastal vessels NW of Scapa Flow with deck gun and carried on to patrol area 1000km NW of Northern tip of Ireland. After 96 hrs and no contacts I headed NE to see if I could pick up a merchant. Finally after several days of sailing at 1/3 spd I came across a 5000 ton cargo ship. I ran ahead and set up in the ideal position, rechecked spd and course as she came within 4000m and thought all was well. I watched her cross the periscope at 350 degrees and fired 2 Ge Mk II's at her. I quickly jumped to the attack nav screen and groaned. The fish were going to pass her astern by a huge margin because (like the numpty I am) I neglected to do a final check on the attack screen to make sure the solution was dialed in correctly. I had put her as approaching on her port side instead of stbd so basically wasted 2 fish. I quickly adjusted the solution and managed to launch 2 more fish at her as she reached 10 degrees. The first broke her in two and the second slammed into her aft of the funnel (although it was really a wasted fish as the first did the job).

http://www.carlhackman.com/images/om01011.jpg

At this point I had 4 vessels sunk for around 6000 tons and I was unhappy at the dearth of targets. I had 3 fish left aft and 7 fwd and was not going to return from the patrol with fish left onboard.

I headed back towards Kiel knowing that the area near Kristiansand would provide opportunities for upping my tonnage count. Very bad visibility in the area meant detection of shipping was reduced to 1500m or less and I would have to be quick if I was to carry out successful attacks.

The first to come along (0300 hrs, rain and fog) appeared on my stbd bow at a range of 1300m. I quickly turned to port and flank spd to open up a gap before she spotted me. We were pretty close to land and I didn't have time to get an accurate speed so I turned to stbd and sat on the surface. The TDC was setup for 90 degrees port AOB and 9 knts (estimated from bow wave). She quickly came into view and I launched 2 fish at her resulting in another 5000+ tons.

I had just regained my breath and a hog island freighter appeared astern at 1400m. This time I managed to get seaward side of her and headed away at flank speed. I gave myself a good 8km lead on her and set up the solution, dove to periscope depth and waited patiently. Again two GeII's sent her to her watery grave.

http://www.carlhackman.com/images/om01012.jpg

I'm going to remain in this area for a few more days as I have 7 fish left and am hoping that the crap vis in this area will allow me to surprise some more merchants. :)

cadaha
08-24-16, 10:27 AM
End of first patrol was a bit of a fubar. I came across a 9000 ton cargo ship when the visibility was only 500m. I set up the attack with my remaining stern fish and as the ship approached I could only just make out a slight silhouette. I fired the fish and as I hit the fire button I realised that I had made the same error as before DOH! I had set the TDC up for a stbd beam approach instead of Port. The fish went off into the distance and I surfaced to take out the merchant with the deck gun. Finally I had my 11th kill of the patrol.

http://www.carlhackman.com/images/om01013.jpg

I made the final dash home with no fish, 30 rounds of HE and 25% fuel left. I arrived on October 20th 1939 after 46 days at sea.

Below is the final tally for U-51
http://www.carlhackman.com/images/om01014.jpg

I was awarded the Knight's Cross and given another patrol in the Western Approaches. The trip there should be interesting as the only realistic route to the patrol area is through the English Channel which will mean staying submerged during the day to avoid air patrols.

Patrol Log for 1st patrol Operation Monsun. I've just noticed that the dates for the attacks are wrong. I definitely didn't sink that many ships on the date I left Kiel LOL. It took couple of days to get north of Scapa Flow where I intercepted the trawlers and from then on It was several days between each ship until I made my way back to the area south of Kristiansand to attack my final 6 ships.
http://www.carlhackman.com/images/om01015.jpg

Threadfin
08-24-16, 12:48 PM
The northabout route past Scapa Flow is perfectly viable to reach the Western Approaches, and the only one I use. Cruise at 6 knots to maximize range and endurance. The Channel is not for submarines :) But I suspect you know this.

The 'date' issue in your logbook is common, and it happens I think when you save and reload, so you probably played up to the sinking of the Old Raked Bow Split Merchant in one sitting, and then the rest in another?

As for the reversed AoB shots that you took, we've all done it, I sure have. What I try to do is always make my final check a gyro check, because after some experience you can usually instantly recognize an error by seeing an unexpected gyro angle. Even so, scheisse happens.

How are you finding target speed? Surely the estimate 'by bow wave' was a one off due to time restrictions?

Congrats on your successful patrol and good luck on the next.

cadaha
08-24-16, 01:37 PM
The northabout route past Scapa Flow is perfectly viable to reach the Western Approaches, and the only one I use. Cruise at 6 knots to maximize range and endurance. The Channel is not for submarines :) But I suspect you know this.

The 'date' issue in your logbook is common, and it happens I think when you save and reload, so you probably played up to the sinking of the Old Raked Bow Split Merchant in one sitting, and then the rest in another?

As for the reversed AoB shots that you took, we've all done it, I sure have. What I try to do is always make my final check a gyro check, because after some experience you can usually instantly recognize an error by seeing an unexpected gyro angle. Even so, scheisse happens.

How are you finding target speed? Surely the estimate 'by bow wave' was a one off due to time restrictions?

Congrats on your successful patrol and good luck on the next.

The patrol I've just started is at the south western approaches basically level with landsend which is why I'm risking the channel route. I travel at 6 kts as well to conserve fuel

Yes, the speed estimate was rushed due to close proximity of target due to night time and fog. I had to react pretty quickly and that is also the first time I've carried out a surface torpedo attack.

I normally get target speed by distance traveled in metres in 3'15" x 10 for U-Boat. SSN is distance traveled in yds in 3' x 10.

Threadfin
08-24-16, 01:51 PM
Well then certainly you've drawn the patrol grid of BF24 eh? Off Crow Sound? The Channel would save a lot of time and fuel no doubt. And it surely can be done, I have myself. The problem is if you are detected, there's no where to run or to hide. So I always choose the northabout as I play my patrols dead is dead and it's much more likely to be dead going through the Channel.

FWIW, a career three removed was ended in BF24 when attacked by aircraft out of the low overcast while on the surface. Sunderland I do believe. I don't like this area and get the hell out as soon as the star turns grey. Too many coastal craft that I plot interceptions on only to discover later that they aren't worth a torpedo. Of course this puts me closer to them while hoping to avoid. It's just got some bad juju or mojo 'round those parts.

cadaha
08-24-16, 02:30 PM
Well then certainly you've drawn the patrol grid of BF24 eh? Off Crow Sound? The Channel would save a lot of time and fuel no doubt. And it surely can be done, I have myself. The problem is if you are detected, there's no where to run or to hide. So I always choose the northabout as I play my patrols dead is dead and it's much more likely to be dead going through the Channel.

FWIW, a career three removed was ended in BF24 when attacked by aircraft out of the low overcast while on the surface. Sunderland I do believe. I don't like this area and get the hell out as soon as the star turns grey. Too many coastal craft that I plot interceptions on only to discover later that they aren't worth a torpedo. Of course this puts me closer to them while hoping to avoid. It's just got some bad juju or mojo 'round those parts.

Yes I'm playing dead is dead so I intend to stay submerged during the day and run at slow speed to conserve batteries. I hate setting up an attack only to find out that the targets are trawlers, the torpedo is probably worth more than they are. I usually break off and slink away submerged if I don't take them out with the deck gun. I'll be glad when I can transfer to one of the western french ports like Brest which will save a lot of time getting to patrol areas.

Threadfin
08-24-16, 02:53 PM
It depends on which Flotilla you're in, but I'm in the 7th with a VIIB. I recall from my previous career that the 7th transfers to St Nazaire in September 1940. It may be earlier or later if you're in a different flotilla (Brest, Lorient etc).

So what I've done on my past few careers is set sail on a patrol a few months before, say June, and then make it a double-barrelled patrol by putting in to one of the 'clandestine' ports in Spain like Cadiz or Vigo and getting a reload. By the time the second barrel of the patrol is done, the 7th has made the move and I tie up there.

I did notice in my current career that Brest is already active in the early summer of '40.

cadaha
08-24-16, 10:48 PM
It depends on which Flotilla you're in, but I'm in the 7th with a VIIB. I recall from my previous career that the 7th transfers to St Nazaire in September 1940. It may be earlier or later if you're in a different flotilla (Brest, Lorient etc).

So what I've done on my past few careers is set sail on a patrol a few months before, say June, and then make it a double-barrelled patrol by putting in to one of the 'clandestine' ports in Spain like Cadiz or Vigo and getting a reload. By the time the second barrel of the patrol is done, the 7th has made the move and I tie up there.

I did notice in my current career that Brest is already active in the early summer of '40.

I'm in the 7th too, so hopefully next year (I'm October 1939 at the moment) I'll transfer to St Nazaire.

Threadfin
08-25-16, 07:56 AM
You made a good choice of flotillas. The reason I say that is there may be an issue in OM where conning tower upgrades cause problems. As luck would have it, the VIIB gets no conning tower upgrades. There is a thread here at subsim from some time back, titled something like How to Survive Operation Monsun. that describes the issue

a little search, and, here it is

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=205967

Personally I have no experience with this happening as I've only joined the 7th in all of my OM careers, and if I've ever been offered an upgrade to a newer boat I've declined.

For whatever reason, the past two days have been a crash fest for me. I've always had to deal with crashes in OM, but recently it's been quite bad and is preventing me from making any progress on my career (July 1940).

Edit: Turns out somewhere along the way that the 4GB memory fix had become un-applied. Works fine again.

cadaha
08-26-16, 02:35 PM
Patrol 2 for U-51 and the patrol area was at the south western approaches. I chanced the channel to get there and as I had been warned it was a pain. As I mentioned earlier I spent daylight hours submerged due to air patrols and torpedo boats frequenting the area but then had to contend with mines which caused damage on several occasions. All were repaired by my DC team but it is a route I will not take again.

As I approached my patrol area I detected and sank a 5000 ton cargo vessel which I thought bode well for the upcoming patrol. The location seemed as if it would be a natural path for ships approaching the channel and also heading for Liverpool. This was not the case and after 96 hrs and not a single sighting or radio report for the area I moved south to the BF7 area where I had seen several reported ships during my patrol.

Here I was luckier and managed to sink 4 merchants before I was forced to consider a route back to base due to 50% fuel remaining. One of my victims in this area was a 9000 ton cargo vessel which helped bring my total up to 22,000 tons before heading north.

http://www.carlhackman.com/images/om01016.jpg

As the cargo ship sunk below the waves on the western edge of the Bay of Biscay I considered my return course. I wanted to head north and avoid the channel so north of Scotland was the decision. Here I decided to push even further north and try and see if I could attack any targets between the Greenland and Iceland gap. I had seen several ship reports for that area and my real world knowledge of that area as a route made me want to see if it was viable in SH4.

By the time I reached the area I was getting low on fuel and only had one fish fwd and 3 aft so I couldn't really afford to patrol for too long there. My patience paid off and I sank a 5,000 ton cargo vessel as I steamed northwest of Iceland.

I carried on and took a route I like back towards Kiel. The deep water lane west of Bergan and Stavanger (both have been visited by me on a few occasions when in the Navy so for some strange reason felt comfortable for me in game).

As I made my way into the channel south of Kristiansand (another place that brings back memories of service life) I headed east but hugged the south side of the channel as I knew this part would offer more targets to boost my tonnage. Sure enough this channel towards the Baltic was heavily traveled and I took another cargo almost straight away with a single aft torpedo and finished off with the deck gun. I only had 2 more fish left and wanted to make the most of then so I had decided that any vessels attacked would have one fish sent at them and then be finished with the deck gun.

Next in line another juicy target which, even though I thought I'd need 2 to sink it, I fired one and prepared to surface and attack with the deck gun, but to my surprise it blew up almost immediately after the fish detonated.

http://www.carlhackman.com/images/om01017.jpg

The next contact appeared the next evening and I ran ahead to set up. I only had one fish left so my plan was the same as before but, as before, the cargo was destroyed by the impact of the one and only fish that was fired at it.

http://www.carlhackman.com/images/om01018.jpg

As I set up the attack on the previous vessel I had a sound contact report about another merchantman approaching from the west. I quickly recorded it's projected course so that I could head it off once the current attack was concluded. I surfaced after the attack and headed off on the plotted course at flank speed with only a deck gun and AA gun at my disposal. Once I had steamed within 1000yds of the cargo ship I opened fire with all my remaining ammunition. The deck gun pounded the hull and superstructure while I sat on the AA gun and stitched the waterline with Armor piercing rounds, switching to the superstructure when they had finished. Once the final round had been fired by the deck gun (the AA gun was out of ammo now) I was amazed to find the cargo ship still on the surface. My real world experience will tell you that what occurred during that engagement was impossible. Even a 20mm weapon with AP and HE rounds will cause considerable damage to a merchant ship at such close range (over 3,000 rounds were fired) and the 10cm (4") deck gun would have laid waste to to the hull and upper deck. Merchant ships cannot take the pounding that warships can due to the fact that they have very large compartments meaning that huge areas can be flooded when the hull is breached. Warships, on the other hand are honeycombed and can have several compartments flooded and still stay surfaced The largest and weakest area of a warship is the engine room, but even that can be flooded without the ship heading for the bottom. It will be stopped in the water without power or able to move but it can remain surfaced until aid arrives if the rest of the hull integrity is intact.

Anyway I arrived to my home base on 14 January 1940 with just under 54,500 tons to add to my total. Another Knights Cross and a few weeks leave until Patrol 3. :)

http://www.carlhackman.com/images/om01019.jpg