PDA

View Full Version : The Evolution of Subsims

Onkel Neal
04-07-16, 10:15 PM
The Evolution of Subsims, from 1982 to 2016 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuL5k6XRPlg)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=994&pictureid=8772 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuL5k6XRPlg)

Which one was your first?

I got a chance to play Silent Service II, and that was all it took. I was hooked.

Neal

bstanko6
04-07-16, 11:03 PM
The big SH 1. The best game at that time I ever played followed by 688i Hunter/killer.

Barkerov
04-07-16, 11:03 PM
Silent Service II was my first introduction to submarine warfare as well. Back when the ship recognition manual was actually a manual you physically held in your hands.

I used to play it with my dad

Torplexed
04-07-16, 11:39 PM
Silent Hunter One.

The hours I spent listening to the pinging of destroyers in this little room.

http://www.subsim.com/conn.gif

Kapt Z
04-08-16, 12:14 AM
I think it was Silent Service or Silent Service II that was my first, but it was SHCE that really set the hook.

Wow, it is easy to forget how far we have come.

Sailor Steve
04-08-16, 01:04 AM
Silent Service 1, and SS2, and Epyx Sub Battle Simulator. But yeah, the big one for me was also Silent Hunter 1.

Von Due
04-08-16, 04:13 AM
For me it was 1985... C64... Silent Service by MicroProse

I don't recall anymore but it was definitely on the C64, could very well have been Silent Sevice. That's a while ago.

Onkel Neal
04-08-16, 07:43 AM
Silent Hunter One.

The hours I spent listening to the pinging of destroyers in this little room.

http://www.subsim.com/conn.gif

I remember thinking, man, the graphics are amazing! :rock:

Kapt Z
04-08-16, 08:07 AM
I remember thinking, man, the graphics are amazing! :rock:

I still remember the first time I booted it up and saw the little intro scene with the freighter getting sunk and thinking, "oh yeah, this is going to be GOOD!!!".

I also loved the little movie shorts with narration by the capt of the SKATE who was advisor to the game. Great for setting the tone.

Bilge_Rat
04-08-16, 10:28 AM
my first was "688i Hunter Killer", still have fond memories of that sim.

cdrsubron7
04-08-16, 10:51 AM
Started with the original AOTD. Then graduated to SH1.

The first computer I ever had wan an old Compac. When I found out about SH1 and finally got a copy of it still me about three months of constant searching to find a way to get it to run on that old computer. I finally found the solution here on these forums. After I got it working I played every night for a solid year and had the time of my life. :yep: :D :up:

Aktungbby
04-08-16, 11:05 AM
AoD followed by SHII and SHV-still playing all three with DC for relief! I might even load in SHIV :shucks: and be one of the 'good guys' but at my age I probably will need that IV for myself...:huh: :O: :k_confused:EDIT: oops I forgot this gem at a truckstop in West PA when blizzards forced me off I-80 into a truckstop's arcade-once you master this ...no need for a TDC just "aim the boat"! The 1969 Midway Sea Raider" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnQ9R8fpSdc&nohtml5=False (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnQ9R8fpSdc&nohtml5=False) http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/105/1052368818.jpg U actually had to wait in line to play after long hours in the 'conning tower' of an interstate Freightliner; I burned up whole rolls of quarters on this BBY!

fumo30
04-08-16, 11:35 AM
AOD dos.

Thanks for the video, I saw many sub sims never heard before.

EmeAzul
04-08-16, 01:06 PM
For me it was the 1993 Type VII "U-Boat" simulation by Deadly Games for the Apple MacIntosh, followed by its improved sequel the 1995 Type IX "Drumbeat" simulation by Deadly Games. Then it was on to Silent Hunter I, II, and III on a PC and the rest is history. Still have all those games in their original boxes. First interested in Submarines when I had a chance in 1959 to tour a WW II Gato sub given to Brasil by the US Navy.

ivanov.ruslan
04-08-16, 02:02 PM
In ''nearby'' 1983 i play it, shoved a face in UZO
There was a club for electronic games :cool:
http://calvertjournal.com/images/uploads/articles/11-14/Computer_games/game1_3.gif

aanker
04-08-16, 03:06 PM
SHCE since @ 2000 +/-

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p157/ptcbupers/SHCE_99_zps9b92b96a.jpg

Happy Hunting!

blackswan40
04-08-16, 03:48 PM
Sub sims for me started in 1986 when i bought my Commodore 64 & bought silent service then bought the atari st 520 & bought silent sevice for that computer then bought the amiga & silent sevvce 1 & 2 then Aces of the deep loved that one then moved to pc in 1992 a 486 25mghz machine silent service
1 & 2 silent hunter 1 2 3 4 & 5
of all the silent hunter series SH3 is the best one by far theres no greater satisfaction for me when writing a SH3 Campaign in the scr scripted lair in the SH3 Mission editor & then seeing the members of your clan finding one of the convoys you put in to the Campaign

Jimbuna
04-09-16, 08:33 AM
I started off with Silent Service by MicroProse on the C64 then the Amiga.

razark
04-09-16, 12:05 PM
The first one I played was the beautiful purple waters of the Pacific in Gato, followed shortly afterwards by Silent Service, both on the IBM PCjr. I was still a bit young when playing them, though. Silent Service II was where I really got into it, and I still bless that glorious day I discovered SHCE in the bargain bin.

BrianKir
04-09-16, 02:52 PM
Like many I started out on a C64 with Silent Service at the tender age of 12.

First it was the tape edition before I got a 5 1/4 drive.

Had a summer holiday where me and a mate lived together to play it real time. After 2½ week having one as awoke duty officer all the time (and no going sun bathing), we hadn't encountered a single Japanese ship - but man did we live it out!:rotfl2:

Sailor Steve
04-09-16, 04:11 PM
Welcome aboard BrianKir!

I remember being a pre-teen and doing silly things like that with friends. I never got to use a computer for those antics, since I was thirty-five when Silent Service came out, but still, all these years of sub-sims has been fun. :sunny:

excel4004
04-09-16, 06:43 PM
I started off with Silent Service by MicroProse on the C64 then the Amiga.
Me too. Silent Service I was a "new world" a "new feeling" of gaming. Never forget the great fun with playing Silent Service II too. :yeah:

Aktungbby
04-09-16, 06:51 PM
BrianKir! :Kaleun_Salute: after a long silent run!

Jimbuna
04-10-16, 06:09 AM
Welcome to SubSim Brian :sunny:

siege00
04-10-16, 01:24 PM
688i and SH3... I can't remember which I got my hands on first.

Paco
04-11-16, 04:45 AM
Silent Service 1 on an Atari 800 XL, Epyx Sub Battle Simulator on my C=64 and later AOD on MSDOS.

Paco
04-11-16, 05:06 AM
BTT:
I did not even notice there was AOD on the C-64?!

Ups, You're right. It was on MSDOS.

GT182
04-11-16, 12:08 PM
1969 Midway Sea Raider

I remember that that one. We played it on those same arcade machines during my 2nd year of college in '69. Couldn't hit many targets and spent a lot of quarters trying. LOL

Peter Cremer
04-11-16, 01:37 PM
Started with Silent Service on Atari 1040ST about 1985, I think, and got hooked on sub sims. Went on to Silent Service II, AoD, Grey Wolves, 688i Hunter Killer, Sub Command, Sea Wolf, Silent Hunter 1,2,3,4,5. :yeah:

adrians69
04-11-16, 03:59 PM
For me it was Silent Service on the C64, then Silent Service 2 on the Amiga. I really got into years later with Jane's 688i though. That was the best sub sim around at the time, which led me onto SH2, then 3,4 & 5! I still have 4 & 5 and I also have Sub Command and DW.

Silent Service 1&2 are now available on GOG.com for a small fee. :D

Tupolev
04-11-16, 06:44 PM
I started with AOD way back when, and upgraded to CAOD when it came out. I still played it fairly often using DOSBox up until 2012 when I could finally use Bootcamp (Mac user...don't judge) to run SH3. Been playing GWX & NYGM regularly since then, though I still miss the sunset/sunrise info from AOD.

I've been known to fire up AOD on occasions when I'm feeling particularly sentimental.

T

Pilot_76
04-11-16, 07:48 PM
I feel I do not belong here. 2008 I bought SH IV because it was almost free in a local game store. It took me a couple of months to remember that I actually had it. After installing just to check it out (with the intention of uninstalling next day and to donate it) I got fascinated when I saw a Balao Class surfacing. Then going down. Then maneuvering the sub. When I switched to the Bridge view I got hooked. I found subsim and today I own SH1-5, all Sonalyst's sub games. Silent Service 1-2 (gog.com).
These sub games expanded (I would rather say replaced) my hobbies into:
-sailing
-celestial navigation
-piloting
-coastal navigation
-closest point of approach
-radar navigation
-Enigma/Ultra machines history and software simulation
-thinking of starting to build plastic models (subs, CVs,DDs)
I have bought at least 50 books on sub warfare including an original copy from Roscoe on US WWII (rare?), Uboat warfare, etc.

I am wondering if a woman will ever think I am normal :-p
What happened to the regular guys who used to go bowling and drink?? :)

Simmy
04-11-16, 10:56 PM
It was Silent Service II for me. I too thought the graphics were mind blowing.
The one thing about that game that always sent me into a panic was when you used time compression and when the game threw you back to normal time there were destroyers 300 yards away and coming at 30 knots.:dead:

d@rk51d3
04-11-16, 11:19 PM
It was Silent Service II for me. I too thought the graphics were mind blowing.

Well, the graphics on the box, anyway.

Never quite found out which version the periscope shot came from.

hulldmg
04-12-16, 08:06 AM
Silent Hunter 3 is my first and still to this day my only subsim.
Now that I think about it, I think my only other "sub" game I have ever played was Aquanox.

Nice video tho, never knew about most of these sims.

Fahnenbohn
04-12-16, 09:00 AM
Silent Hunter 3 is my first and still to this day my only subsim.
Now that I think about it, I think my only other "sub" game I have ever played was Aquanox.

Nice video tho, never knew about most of these sims.

Same for me, and i don't know Aquanox ... I saw videos about the other sub simulations, and i just dislike all of them ! :down:

bstanko6
04-12-16, 03:39 PM
I think it has something to do with Das Boot! One of my all time favorite U-Boot movies.

I can't watch this film without wanting to play SH3. I want to be on U-96. I want to yell at Johann to get back to his station! I want to watch my number 1 properly cutting his food in his pristine uniform! I want to see my Funker making a "U-Boat cocktail" and cringe at him drinking it! But what I really want is to attempt passage into Gibraltar! I'm gonna do that now!!!

SH3, to me, is the only way to somewhat replicate the feel of attacking a convoy and then attempting to run away from destroyers.

As always, I thank all the folks at Subsim.com and those that have shared great mods to make a great game even better!

I laugh at the idea that one day I will be very old playing this game, and my grand kids will as why I play such an "old" game. Nevertheless, I will be here playing it!

CapnScurvy
04-12-16, 08:47 PM
My first PC Computer game was Epyx's Sub Battle Simulator:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/sub-battle-simulator_1_zpsobf78ip4.png

This game was IBM PC Compatible with a whooping 4 color CGA capability!! Man-o-Man....a reason to upgrade from my Monochrome monitor!! Still have this 5'' floppy disked game on my library shelf.

'course, my first reason to love sub games was the Mattel Sonar Hunt game that I had when I was a kid:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/green_zpsgg33bdns.jpg

Loved the capability of using the little "Periscopes" at the corners of the game to watch your buddy run into a mine as he moved over my side of the board searching for subs!

Hours of fun when you're 10 years old.

Fahnenbohn
04-13-16, 03:36 AM
'course, my first reason to love sub games was the Mattel Sonar Hunt game that I had when I was a kid:

Loved the capability of using the little "Periscopes" at the corners of the game to watch your buddy run into a mine as he moved over my side of the board searching for subs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD-URVTvEyE

dave46563
04-15-16, 09:11 AM
688 Attack Sub on the Sega Mega Drive (or Genesis if your in the US).....loved that game!

RConch
04-17-16, 07:35 AM
Win 95-Command Aces of the Deep. Loved that game-but the graphics are laughable now.:salute:

Sailor Steve
04-17-16, 09:08 AM
Win 95-Command Aces of the Deep. Loved that game-but the graphics are laughable now.:salute:
True, but the AI is still worlds ahead of anything that followed.

Onkel Neal
04-17-16, 09:44 AM
My first PC Computer game was Epyx's Sub Battle Simulator:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/sub-battle-simulator_1_zpsobf78ip4.png

This game was IBM PC Compatible with a whooping 4 color CGA capability!! Man-o-Man....a reason to upgrade from my Monochrome monitor!! Still have this 5'' floppy disked game on my library shelf.

Wow, that's one I never saw before. Time to hit ebay. :Kaleun_Salivating:

RConch
04-17-16, 12:00 PM
You are so right Steve. When you called in a contact report and the other U boats would show up on the map and you could watch some of them that were close start to converge on the convoy-and-actually attack.

Now I sort of miss it.:Kaleun_Crying:

CapnScurvy
04-17-16, 08:33 PM
Regarding the Mattel Sonar Sub Hunt game.

It was probably the first time a kid learned to "trash talk" during game play! Using those periscopes, you could watch as your opponent traversed your side of the board. Letting out a "I wouldn't do that if I were you!!" was common place as he neared one of your mines. That was helpful when in another turn he was about to center up on one of your subs, making ready for a depth charge! He would usually think twice. :O:

The game used a couple of "D" batteries, that lighted the "Bug" when you received a hit on a sub. You got the ol'buzzer when you hit a mine.

Sailor Steve
04-17-16, 10:32 PM
You are so right Steve. When you called in a contact report and the other U boats would show up on the map and you could watch some of them that were close start to converge on the convoy-and-actually attack.

Now I sort of miss it.:Kaleun_Crying:
I still fondly remember the time a destroyer ran right up my torpedo track and I was sure I was dead, until he ran right over me at full speed, which meant he couldn't hear me, kept going and then started searching and dropping the occasional depth charge a mile to the other side. I managed to torpedo another ship and the poor guy never figured it out. :rotfl2:

It made up for the one who managed to glue himself to my backside and never let go until I was dead.

Also grounding the boat to throw off their sonar (which worked in that game) only to get stuck in the mud when I tried to rise again. Sometimes I was able to rock myself free, but a couple of times we all suffocated. :dead:

I also miss reading the newspaper reports: "Hometown hero promoted!" "Local Captain overdue, presumed lost."

Well, I don't really miss them because sometimes I still pull it out and play.

d@rk51d3
04-17-16, 10:48 PM
AOD had a superior damage model too.

Sailor Steve
04-17-16, 10:57 PM
AOD had a superior damage model too.
And an awesome damage report screen. :yep:

fumo30
04-18-16, 05:01 AM
True, but the AI is still worlds ahead of anything that followed.

The wolfpacks were great in AOD. It is said that they exist also in SH3 in some mod(H.SIE??), but I personally never seen them anywhere. bdu always tells me to attack on my own.

...Wait! Once i was within a hydrophone hearing distance of one of those "circle" convoys, I heard some sort of battle raging there. Too bad the weather was crappiest possible and I couldn't reach the convoy to see what was going on.

RConch
04-18-16, 08:00 AM
I had forgotten about the fate of being stuck on the bottom in the mud.

Who can forget the shout "Smoke on the Horizon".

desertstriker
04-20-16, 01:06 AM
Aces of the deep was my very first, SH3 my second

bstanko6
04-20-16, 03:28 AM
Fumo, it is true. h.sie does have wolfpacks and I have been part of them. In early war you will not see much of them, but become more prominent as the years go by. There is a tutorial as wel with h.sie that allows you to train with the wolfpack. It is a lot of fun!

fumo30
04-21-16, 12:55 AM
Fumo, it is true. h.sie does have wolfpacks and I have been part of them. In early war you will not see much of them, but become more prominent as the years go by. There is a tutorial as wel with h.sie that allows you to train with the wolfpack. It is a lot of fun!

Thanks for the good news and information mate.:salute: I'll look for the tutorial I missed for some reason.:oops:

bstanko6
04-21-16, 02:16 AM
when you install h.sie, the instructions show you how to add this into your game!

fumo30
04-21-16, 05:56 AM
^I have h.sie installed correctly, but seems that something is wrong with the wolf pack mod installation. I ran the wolf pack tutorial single mission 6 times and no "shadow convoy" order received.

I better re-check all.

EDIT.
Now its working, the reason for missing wolf packs probaly was that I have added some mods after the supplement to v.16B1 mod, and instructions say that it must be the last one on the list. I re-arranged them and I got the wolf packs.

Dave Kay
04-22-16, 07:33 PM
This thread would make a great poll~!

For me it was AOD on DOS and later Win95.

I too miss those 'Smoke on the horizon...' calls and actual wolfpacks. Sometime in '42 I was ordered to shadow my first convoy until I got attack orders. What a thrill~! Or did I just dream of that wolfpack on some restless late-night/early-morn after like 9 straight hours of game play.... (*YAWN*)

Thanks as always to all the modders and contributors for the great game you all have made for SHIII and beyond. And last but not least--- thank you Neal---:salute::yeah::rock: :subsim:

CptGrayWolf
04-23-16, 06:32 AM
Silent Service on Atari 800xl around 1985!
Back in the day I loved how we could sail the whole Pacific Ocean. Very cool. I still play it today.
Some of the best memories of my early teens were those MicroProse sims, awesome company.

bstanko6
04-24-16, 05:24 PM
I played silent service on NES! Is it comparable?