PDA

View Full Version : Question for USN folks

Pilot_76
01-31-16, 07:23 PM
Hi.
I'd like to know nowadays when a person becomes crew of a nuke sub how many tours will he/she participate until retirement since the first tour? What is the road to become CO? Can this person deny promotion to a higher job/rank to remain aboard a sub as CO?

How are women doing in the sub force?? :)
Tks

em2nought
02-04-16, 06:56 PM
Hi.
Can this person deny promotion to a higher job/rank to remain aboard a sub as CO

The USN frowns upon that sort of thing, which I find funny because they also advocate placing inferior people in higher positions anyway thru "equal opportunity".

Osmium Steele
08-17-16, 11:29 AM
Thread necro...

SH3 Commander rotates sailors in and out by number of patrols. Not so in the US navy of my day, 1985 - 1991.

The amount of time a sailor remained aboard was dependent on MANY factors, but 3 - 4 years per tour was normal for enlisted. Same for junior officers on their first boat.

Senior Lieutenants on their 2nd or 3rd boat, in Department Head positions, i.e. Weapons, Navigator, Engineer, expect 2 - 3 years then off to a shore billet.

An XO spot is next, then usually a short shore billet before Command School and their own command.

In a typical 20 year career one could expect to serve on 3 to 5 different ships with shore duty rotations between each.

A dear friend just retired after 32 years in submarines. He started as an E-1 and finished a LCDR. Weapons officer aboard an Ohio class SSBN. Very rare career path, but didn't surprise me a bit. He's that stellar.

ETR3(SS)
08-19-16, 04:12 AM
A dear friend just retired after 32 years in submarines. He started as an E-1 and finished a LCDR. Weapons officer aboard an Ohio class SSBN. Very rare career path, but didn't surprise me a bit. He's that stellar. He enlist as a non-nuc rate? The Nuc's of my day were push button E-4.

Osmium Steele
08-19-16, 01:12 PM
He was a lowly FT.