PDA

View Full Version : Simple navigation and hydrophone question

vegeta020
12-03-15, 06:30 AM
I have a very simple question. I have joined the 7th in my career and I am finding the start of the war to be very very atmospheric with all of those radio messages and listening to gramophone.

But, i have one question. What is the right way to move around the map. Mostly surfaced or submerged? When to submerge? I made a crucial mistake of trying to sneak by Dover :haha:

The other question is related to hydrophone. I have turned off the "stealth meter" as i've found it to be very unrealistic, but i am interested if hydrophone "tracking" gives way my position. It's very convenient that my officer can track other ships but not so much if it gives away my position.

Thanks in advance :)

oksbad
12-03-15, 08:14 AM
Hydrophone sweeps are passive and cannot be detected in the same way as radar or sonar. (think of the difference as that between looking at somebody and shining a light on them)

sublynx
12-03-15, 10:05 AM
Surfaced early war, submerged late war. U-boat Commander's handbook will help in deciding, as well as using JFO! mod.

Sailor Steve
12-03-15, 10:09 AM
WW2 "submarines" were for the most part merely submersibles. They couldn't stay underwater for much longer than a day. The batteries would drain out and they would run out of air. It is always best to keep the batteries charged and the air fresh, and this is done by travelling on the surface. Only dive when absolutely necessary - when setting up an attack or when you think you might be attacked by them.

As was pointed out, the hydrophone is purely passive. It contains an array of microphones that listen for the sounds made by enemy ships. It can't give you away.

vegeta020
12-03-15, 10:39 AM
Only dive when absolutely necessary - when setting up an attack or when you think you might be attacked by them.

This hits the spot! Thank you very much! :subsim:

T.Von Hogan
12-03-15, 10:21 PM
WW2 "submarines" were for the most part merely submersibles. They couldn't stay underwater for much longer than a day. The batteries would drain out and they would run out of air. It is always best to keep the batteries charged and the air fresh, and this is done by travelling on the surface. Only dive when absolutely necessary - when setting up an attack or when you think you might be attacked by them.

As was pointed out, the hydrophone is purely passive. It contains an array of microphones that listen for the sounds made by enemy ships. It can't give you away.

and don't worry about those pesky mosquito's :har: