PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Expedition

CaptainRamius
11-22-15, 05:41 AM
Is it possible to, in any of the Silent Hunter games (preferable 5, but 4 too) to go to the North/South pole or at least go near icebergs?
I thought that it might be possible in 5 because it takes place in Northern Germany.
Thanks!

Eichhörnchen
11-22-15, 06:33 AM
I dunno about that; I think I tried in SH3 once and there was nothing there much to suggest a different environment. Can't say about SH4 or 5.

If you like the idea of exploring like this then you may be better off getting a flight simulator like "Flight Simulator 2004" or "Flight Simulator X", then installing addons for world terrain or some of the fantastic "photoreal" packages. Then you can buzz around in a floatplane like a real bush pilot and get some fantastic screenshots. (You even get things like whales in the sea in FSX).

Nippelspanner
11-22-15, 08:45 AM
I thought that it might be possible in 5 because it takes place in Northern Germany.
Thanks!
...wat...

Dowly
11-22-15, 09:10 AM
:rotfl2:

CaptainRamius
11-22-15, 10:34 AM
...wat...

Northern Germany. In the northern hemisphere. Icebergs happen in the northern hemisphere. I guess not near Hamburg or anything, but travel a bit north and *boom* icebergs. Pretty obvious what I said :nope:

kraznyi_oktjabr
11-22-15, 02:21 PM
Northern Germany. In the northern hemisphere. Icebergs happen in the northern hemisphere. I guess not near Hamburg or anything, but travel a bit north and *boom* icebergs. Pretty obvious what I said :nope:Well... to be honest mentioning icebergs and northern Germany in that way sound a bit silly. North Atlantic is another story but you won't find icebergs anywhere near northern Germany. Thats in normal circumstances.

Eichhörnchen
11-22-15, 02:22 PM
I think this thread's taking on water, Ramius... we better get out and paddle...

CaptainRamius
11-22-15, 02:55 PM
Well... to be honest mentioning icebergs and northern Germany in that way sound a bit silly. North Atlantic is another story but you won't find icebergs anywhere near northern Germany. Thats in normal circumstances.

Ok, well, living near Hamburg, I expected in the winter that there would be, given you travel north for a bit, icebergs. Maybe North Atlantic is the better term. Either way, my bad.

I think this thread's taking on water, Ramius... we better get out and paddle...

Break out the paddles! Ready- heave, ho, heave, ho... :haha:

Oberon
11-22-15, 02:58 PM
The James Caird, I hope. :yep:

Catfish
11-22-15, 02:59 PM
Hi,
there are icebergs, in SH3 for sure. There is also a mod for SH3, to get more icebergs, north of a certain latitude.
There is a great mod for SH 4 transferring it all to german U-Boats with SH4's eye candy, no icebergs but worldwide missions like type IX boats at Penang etc..
I had no idea you lived in Germany. Hamburg's just one hour away, from here :)

OT: And .. welcome :03:

CaptainRamius
11-22-15, 03:15 PM
Hi,
there are icebergs, in SH3 for sure. There is also a mod for SH3, to get more icebergs, north of a certain latitude.
There is a great mod for SH 4 transferring it all to german U-Boats with SH4's eye candy, no icebergs but worldwide missions like type IX boats at Penang etc..
I had no idea you lived in Germany. Hamburg's just one hour away, from here :)

OT: And .. welcome :03:

Cool! You speak German too? It can be our secret language *whisper* :D

swamprat69er
11-22-15, 03:29 PM
In SH4 I have been through the Northwest Passage under the polar cap. Yes it is possible.

Stealhead
11-22-15, 03:50 PM
Cool! You speak German too? It can be our secret language *whisper* :D

Wont work very well as there are other Germans in this very thread and several on this site. Not to mention the members that can at least passingly understand German.

I am fairly certain that no mods have the level of detail that you are looking for. Not so far as a Silent Hunter based mod is concerned.

kraznyi_oktjabr
11-22-15, 03:52 PM
Ok, well, living near Hamburg, I expected in the winter that there would be, given you travel north for a bit, icebergs. Maybe North Atlantic is the better term. Either way, my bad.You are German? I don't know why but somehow I had assumed you to be American.

Dowly
11-22-15, 04:07 PM
You are German? I don't know why but somehow I had assumed you to be American.
Same here. :88)

Catfish
11-22-15, 04:12 PM

Hamburg, is international :)

kraznyi_oktjabr
11-22-15, 04:29 PM
Hamburg, is international :)Oh yea, that ofcourse. :)

Even somewhat backwards places in middle of (quite) nowhere seem to be quite international. Especially if someone once upon a time chose to establish an university there...

EDIT: Oh, and that comment was about my home town - not Hamburg!

CaptainRamius
11-23-15, 12:40 AM

Half German, half American. Speak English as first language, German as second.