PDA

View Full Version : SSBN Missile Test San Diego

Buddahaid
11-08-15, 11:04 AM
Anybody else see it? I'm hundreds of miles north and it was plain as daylight. I thought it was a helicopter with the searchlight pointing aft at first but then thought it was a launch of some sort, but not that far away and a west flight path is the wrong way for putting something in orbit.

Buddahaid
11-08-15, 12:07 PM
Anybody else see it? I'm hundreds of miles north and it was plain as daylight. I thought it was a helicopter with the searchlight pointing aft at first but then thought it was a launch of some sort, but not that far away and a west flight path is the wrong way for putting something in orbit.

This is pretty much what I saw but my angle was more to the side so the cone was more pointed. Look around 1:30s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu7mNmqJJ10

Sorry l didn't mean to quote myself. The thing is I'm 400 miles north of this video and it didn't look much different. Amazing.

Sailor Steve
11-08-15, 02:17 PM
I like the one comment on the video: "It's the new Star Wars trailer..."

mapuc
11-08-15, 02:40 PM
Even though it was mentioned on several pages such as IFL, that is was because of a missile test, some people are so sure it was UFOs and nothing else.

I would love to see the test from nearby.

Markus

Stealhead
11-08-15, 03:12 PM
Pretty cool too bad people are always convinced something is a UFO. That was funny the woman "living!!".

Jimbuna
11-09-15, 07:40 AM
It certainly made the news here in the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34759304

ikalugin
11-10-15, 01:16 AM
I remember that time when a BM launch made cool spiral shapes in the arctic.

Rockstar
11-10-15, 11:01 AM
We should name submarines things like "Nothing" and "No Submarines". This way we can get in front of the UN and honestly say "We have Nothing in the waters off the coast of China. We have No Submarines ready to deploy warheads against IS forces." :D

Aktungbby
11-10-15, 11:22 AM
We should name submarines things like "Nothing" and "No Submarines". This way we can get in front of the UN and honestly say "We have Nothing in the waters off the coast of China. We have No Submarines ready to deploy warheads against IS forces." :D I see you've been reading the Odyssey again on your longer Peterson 44 voyages:D :salute: Nuthin good goes outta style BBY! 1250 BC: "...But Odysseus had his men take a huge pole that was inside the cave, sharpen one end of it, and heat it in a fire until it was hard and dry. When Polyphemus came back to the cave, the men drove the pole into the Cyclops's eye, blinding him. Polyphemus sealed off the cave again, and spent the night trying to catch the men, but he could not. He roared out, "Who has done this to me?" and Odysseus replied, "I am Noman, and Noman has done this to you!" In the morning, Polyphemus rolled the boulder away from the door to let out the sheep. He felt the back of each sheep to see if the men were riding the sheep out - but Odysseus had each of his men hang underneath the sheep as they left the cave, and the blind Cyclops missed them. The Cyclops called to his brothers to come and help him, and when they asked who had harmed him, Polyphemus said "No man! No man has done this to me!" The others said, "If no man has done this to you, then it must be a god who has done it. We will not interfere in the affairs of the gods!" and they left him alone. Odysseus got his men back to the ship, and made good his escape...

Rockstar
11-10-15, 12:53 PM
"If 'no submarine' launched that missle, then it must be a god who has done it. We will not interfere in the affairs of the gods!" and they left him alone.

Yep that could work. :har:

vienna
11-10-15, 03:29 PM
Saw the missile flash a couple of days ago, but knew what it was at once since there have been several launches over the forty-plus years I've lived in LA, although I can remember the last one from the sea; almost all launches are from bases inland. The Navy has put the airspace over the Pacific off-limits to non-military aircraft for an entire week, disrupting the incoming (landing) flight patterns to Los Angeles International Airport. Flights are rerouted to make their approach overland from the east rather than west over the ocean, causing many complaints by persons living under the flight path...

There were news reports yesterday a second launch had been made, but I haven't seen any pictures or footage on the local news...

<O>

Buddahaid
11-10-15, 06:25 PM
I thought I saw one the day before but that one didn't do the bright cone. It looked like a jet departing SFO but going the wrong way.

Stealhead
11-10-15, 06:38 PM
I live a few miles from Ft.Campbell here in Kentucky. As of late I have noticed US Navy P-8 Poseidons flying from the airfield at Ft.Campbell. AH-64s,UH-60s and CH-47s are a very common site as are C-17s and you can also if you know your choppers spot MH-60s,MH-47s and MH-6 belonging to the Nightstalkers who are also stationed at Ft.Campbell. The P-8s are certainly not a common sight and are not stationed at Ft.Campbell I think the Navy started flying them 2011 or 2012. Based on the 737 airframe.

vienna
11-10-15, 06:56 PM
I thought I saw one the day before but that one didn't do the bright cone. It looked like a jet departing SFO but going the wrong way.

Are they also doing firings in Northern CA, also, or are you seeing the tests from down here, up there? Local news reports in LA have been saying the bright cone was seen as far south as Mexico and as far north as Monterey...

<O>

Buddahaid
11-10-15, 08:34 PM
I'm ten miles north of the Golden Gate bridge and it looked every bit as bright and large as the videos. It was about the size of my hand held out in front of me.

Buddahaid
11-10-15, 10:10 PM
I'm ten miles north of the Golden Gate bridge and it looked every bit as bright and large as the videos. It was about the size of my hand held out in front of me.

EDIT: Well testing the hand measure to reality tonight I'll scale down to a half hand. :hmmm:

Crap! I must be getting senile as I've quoted myself again instead of editing.

vienna
11-12-15, 05:27 PM
EDIT: Well testing the hand measure to reality tonight I'll scale down to a half hand. :hmmm:

Crap! I must be getting senile as I've quoted myself again instead of editing.

Don't feel too bad; I'm not sure half the time if I've actually posted or not... :)

There were no noticeable local reports on the second launching, but I heard on a national talk show the second launching was a daytime event, so the impressive pyrotechnics did not accompany...

<O>