PDA

View Full Version : Luftwaffe thieves!

K-61
10-21-15, 01:47 AM
Finally, after years of playing this game, I got to witness my one and only Luftwaffe attack on the enemy at sea. I've read other players' accounts of these with envy, but now I have one to relate.

Sorry, in all the excitement I forgot to note the grid but it was off to the southwest of the U.K., northwest of the Bay of Biscay, on my way to my patrol grid to the west of Ireland. My crew called out a ship sighting, a fast freighter by herself doing nine knots. It was dusk or dawn and I was set up for a lovely perpendicular attack from off the port beam, when my watch crew calls out, "Flugzeugen sichted!" Crap! I was just about to hit the crashdive button but decided to ID them. Well, imagine my surprise when I saw two JU-88's attacking MY target! They dropped several bombs and I saw lots of splatter around the ship, which I guess was machinegun fire. In fact it was, because I remember hearing MG fire. They made several passes and heavily damaged the target, setting it ablaze and slowing her down significantly.

Too bad for "Der Dicke" [The Fat One, Hermann Goering's nickname] I got a torpedo into her before the Luftwaffe boys finished her off. They tried to steal my glory, but on the other hand, I asked Onkel Karl to send a case of French wine to their base, as compensation for stealing back my kill.

No hard feelings, flyboys. After all, we do serve under the same flag.

Sorry, no screenshots to share. In all the excitement I forgot to get the Leica from my bunk. Leutnant Werner was in the head with a bad case of gypy gut; by the time he finished wiping his pale behind, it was all over. I kept telling him to avoid the kebab stands, but would he listen? Oh, well, at least he doesn't have the crabs like most of the boys in the torpedo compartment.

I have only a handful of screenshots from all of my LSH2015 patrols. A couple of times my system froze up on me. Wasn't sure if I hit a bad key combination, but I hope you will understand my reluctance to take screenshots the one and only time I see those fancy flyboys do something to earn their pay.

I'm running LSH2015 on an ASUS G73J gaming notebook. It was a very cutting edge notebook when I bought it, shortly after its release. But you know how it is with PC'ss, today's Cray supercomputer is tomorrow's doorstop or spare boat anchor.

Niedowidek
10-21-15, 03:57 AM
Wow, great. Thanks for this account. I didn't know such Luftwaffe attacks were possible. Good to know that SH3 still has surprises for me.

THEBERBSTER
10-21-15, 05:02 AM
Hi Randy

I had a similar experience to yours where I was taking up an attacking position on a freighter and got beaten to it by the fly boys.
I was still able to lock on and sink it.
Boat boys 1 Fly boys 0

Peter

UKönig
10-21-15, 10:37 AM
I had a flight of 4, JU-88s attack Malta while I hung back underwater, observing. when it was over, they had damaged a few ships in the harbor and sunk one of the destroyers that was protecting the anchorage. I just sailed up after when the action was over and mopped up, so to speak. That too was the only time I could recall actions by the airforce.

Aktungbby
10-21-15, 10:59 AM
IN SHII AND SHV there are helpful Luftwaffe in the Norway and Malta scenarios. Occasionally a pesky destroyer is taken off my back in SHII. IN DC the Heinkels, when crippled, are deadly when they crash into the destroyers; I've been sunk a few times in the Channel and Mumansk scenarios.