PDA

View Full Version : SH4 Wondows 10 screen issue

Burlngame24
08-10-15, 11:38 AM
Greetings mates,

I've been absent from this page for probably 4-5 years (under a different SN); anyway I've got a quick question. I've been loyally doing patrols with my many different boats since 2008. Played well with XP, Vista, and on Windows 7, never experiencing any problems or issues. Just this last weekend, I upgraded my 2 yr old laptop to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Lastnight, I flipped on to continue my patrol with the Tambor and see that my screen size has now shrunk to 1024/768 frame with 4:3 aspect ratio (Monitor and my Radeon card handle a 1600/900 16:9). The game was still playing well with no other problems other than my screen size has shrunk to a 'box'. I've changed game resolution to the recommended settings and even checked my ATI card settings and nothing is bringing back my wide screen playability. Under Windows 7, I played with full view size with no hiccups except now. I'm wondering, since I was already on patrol, will I need to delete my saves and start all over and change settings at main menu or am I missing something in my monitor settings?
Current specs: HP Laptop with a ATIRadeon card/Corei3/6Gb memory and custom built/installed 750 Gb of Ram. The monitor is currently set to 1600/900 16:9 aspect at 32 htz. The game was also set to the same aspect ratio and played well in W7. Now, with W10, it went back to a 1024/768 ratio. Changing while the game was playing changed nothing. Any thoughts?

fitzcarraldo
08-10-15, 11:53 AM
Greetings mates,

I've been absent from this page for probably 4-5 years (under a different SN); anyway I've got a quick question. I've been loyally doing patrols with my many different boats since 2008. Played well with XP, Vista, and on Windows 7, never experiencing any problems or issues. Just this last weekend, I upgraded my 2 yr old laptop to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Lastnight, I flipped on to continue my patrol with the Tambor and see that my screen size has now shrunk to 1024/768 frame with 4:3 aspect ratio (Monitor and my Radeon card handle a 1600/900 16:9). The game was still playing well with no other problems other than my screen size has shrunk to a 'box'. I've changed game resolution to the recommended settings and even checked my ATI card settings and nothing is bringing back my wide screen playability. Under Windows 7, I played with full view size with no hiccups except now. I'm wondering, since I was already on patrol, will I need to delete my saves and start all over and change settings at main menu or am I missing something in my monitor settings?
Current specs: HP Laptop with a ATIRadeon card/Corei3/6Gb memory and custom built/installed 750 Gb of Ram. The monitor is currently set to 1600/900 16:9 aspect at 32 htz. The game was also set to the same aspect ratio and played well in W7. Now, with W10, it went back to a 1024/768 ratio. Changing while the game was playing changed nothing. Any thoughts?

I have an Nvida GC, so I donīt know how works your ATI. But, in my Nvidia, there is a config panel where you can check "full screen", and the resolution addapt itself to your full screen. Iīm using SH4 with W10 without problems, in 1920x1080.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

Burlngame24
08-10-15, 06:48 PM
Thanks. I'll keep checking some of the config settings and mess with monitor and game resolutions. As I've said: it plays wonderfully other than the fact I'm now looking at a 'box' view instead of a full-screen. Kinda annoying to say the least. :hmmm:

Harmsway!
08-10-15, 09:57 PM
There is a known problem for games running on Windows 8 or 10. This might solve it. Give it a try and let us know.

The solution is to change the SHx.exe properties | Compatibility| tab and check

X__'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'

X__'Run as administrator'

Aktungbby
08-10-15, 10:03 PM
Burlngame24!:Kaleun_Salute:

Jimbuna
08-11-15, 10:13 AM
Welcome :sunny:

Burlngame24
08-11-15, 06:25 PM
Thank you for welcoming me aboard mateys. My graphics card is already set to full screen and I've tried the different resolutions in the game, still gives me a 'boxed' view. I did however try to rollback the driver, no luck there; tried uninstalling and then tried re-installing a driver but when I did that I lost my Radeon compatibility (??) so I had to do a whole new install - all to no avail. Go figure. If anything else, I'll just revert back to Windows 7 and go from there. I'm not about to go losing my patrols to a browser upgrade.

Burlngame24
08-11-15, 06:47 PM
Harmsway - I spent an hour trying to find this sh(x).exe file. I can't find nothing suggesting changing compatibility or running as admin. I don't like what W10 did with my Radeon card properties. I can change resolution, refresh rate, anti-aliasing properties, and full-screen and that's it. (Yes, it is set to full-screen.. lol). I seem to recall having more control over my Radeon properties before this upgrade.

ReallyDedPoet
08-12-15, 09:25 AM
Welcome to SUBSIM :up:

How about reinstalling your drivers? May be worth a try.

10 seems to be running fine on my work computer, only Word Perfect is messed up. For some reason I cannot save
my work. I am thinking a reinstall will fix the issue.

Harmsway!
08-12-15, 08:20 PM
Harmsway - I spent an hour trying to find this sh(x).exe file. I can't find nothing suggesting changing compatibility or running as admin. I don't like what W10 did with my Radeon card properties. I can change resolution, refresh rate, anti-aliasing properties, and full-screen and that's it. (Yes, it is set to full-screen.. lol). I seem to recall having more control over my Radeon properties before this upgrade.

It's in your Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific folder. And is the called SH4.exe. The "x" is alias for any SH in the series. Right click the SH4.exe and select properties from the pop up menu. Go to the compatibility tab and look under settings. Check the box
X__'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'

Zero Niner
02-17-17, 02:36 AM
Sorry for the thread necro, but I've just re-installed the game (incl UBM) after a long hiatus and I'm having a problem with the game resolution. It appears that no matter whatever resolution I pick in graphic options the game appears "stretched".
I'm using a wide screen monitor 1920x1080 but even when I select 1024x768, or 1920x1080 I still have this issue.
How can I get the game to look normal again?

THEBERBSTER
02-17-17, 05:06 AM
Hi ZN
This would appear to be a driver or GPU setting issue
Post #8 Changing The GPU Settings (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2297826&postcount=8)
Post #9 Changing AMD Radeon GPU Settings (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2297828&postcount=9)
Make sure your drivers are up to date.
Peter

cdrsubron7
02-17-17, 06:57 PM
What Aspect Ratio do you have the game set to? Most likely it should be 16.9. :D

Zero Niner
02-17-17, 09:41 PM
I'm using the native resolution of my monitor. But it's all good now, I found a solution elsewhere on the interwebs. :; :D

cdrsubron7
02-17-17, 10:45 PM
I'm using the native resolution of my monitor. But it's all good now, I found a solution elsewhere on the interwebs. :; :D

Please share your solution with us, you never know when someone else might have the same problem.

Happy to hear you got things up and running. :D :up:

Zero Niner
02-18-17, 01:32 AM
I searched Subsim and couldn't find a solution that worked so I googled and came across this forum: http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30590

Post #5 in that thread has 2 files available for download that replaces the SH4 exe and one of the camera files. I used it and the game looks normal again.