PDA

View Full Version : ¿MULTITASKING COMMANDER?

jorgegonzalito
07-26-15, 12:10 PM
One of the questions that intrigue me of certain video games and simulators, is the tendency to charge a single person -the player- to the sum of the duties actually performed in two or more people. An example is Fligh Simulator, where the player must fly commercial aircraft only sizable function normally carried out two or even three people. Although the topic in the forums I have discussed, I think it is very difficult to do the work of two people at once, and have the performance that the game aims Player. In Silent Hunter happens something similar. In any world war two American submarine film, the commander observes the target to sink through the periscope, and when it has fixed question: "Bearing?" "Range?" An official at the opposite side of the periscope up and down read and answer the required figures, and a third officer entered them on the attack board to regulate the torpedo. As this function shared by three people in real life, with the game mechanics in one person is consistent must do everything, and even intended to make all calculations manually aim? I am very interested to hear your opinions. Thank you very much!

razark
07-26-15, 12:36 PM
Since I don't have a crew available to handle the multiple tasks, I simply pause the game while plotting on the map or doing calculations.

Rockin Robbins
07-26-15, 12:41 PM
Great observation. We spend a lot of time fussing about realism in computer simulations of submarines, but as you show, realism isn't on the menu. It isn't available. Not only do we not have a plotting team, accurate radar screens and the fear of death to deal with, we are also lacking many of the plotting tools that submarines depended on to make their aim more sure.

There is no reality available, just the best compromise we can reach with the raw materials the game developers made available to us.

And what is real? Is it real that a low percentage of US submarines were lost during the war so it should be very difficult for a Japanese destroyer to sink a submarine? Or is it real that the American submariner was afraid for his life and in fact did not expect to survive the war and so made decisions based on that conclusion? Well we can't have both in the game. RFB, for instance seeks objective reality (when objective reality doesn't exist!) and says only 17% of American subs were sunk in the war so it is very difficult for you to die. And we act that way, charging around like Rambo doing very unrealistic things because hindsight is 20-20.

TMO says "Those guys were afraid for their lives!" and it makes you afraid for your life by making your life very dangerous. Now the mathematical statistics of dying are not the same as real life, but your behavior becomes more like that of the real submarine sailors. Some say "that's not realistic! Only a small percentage of American boats were sunk." The aim of TMO is to make YOUR BEHAVIOR realistic. The conclusion of TMO was that you have to introduce unreality to produce realistic behavior and attitude in the game.

Which is real? Neither one. They both have their arguments. They both teach you different aspects of the truth. When you are writing or modding a computer simulation there is no victory, only continually sacrificing reality for fake reality. And everybody will always take you to task for the negative side of any compromise you make.

Hey, where's MY spamhunter badge I earned? It's gone! I was proud to wear that one.

jorgegonzalito
07-26-15, 01:57 PM
Rockin Robbins

Forums Flight Simulator I have argued that if you can fly a commercial plane serving as pilot and copilot at a time, but I think not, for many reasons that are long to explain and submarines we deal no aircraft . Therefore I felt happy when a fan created a "addon" (equivalent to mods SH), with a virtual co-pilot to help in the task of piloting the plane. I think this could also be introduced in Silent Hunter, a first officer -Commander right arm- to help in the task of driving the ship. The first officer as virtual co-pilot, is of course the computer itself involved in automating your help logical tasks, through modifications to the program. In a moment of action where your sub is attacking or being attacked, it is absurd that a subordinate come to tell you that crew missing in a compartment, and have to go to put the dolls one by one, when caring these aspects is work of official who make up the crew. If only that aspect of the system will automate we would be taking a big step. In fact someone design a MOD for SH3, which makes the officer of the deck automatically raise the bridge to emerge the submarine without having to be placed manually each time. Another aspect that I find completely unnecessary is the question of the crew: assign names and titles of fictional characters, dealing with their decorations and promotions are administrative tasks that divert resources from what is really looking for in the game: the action.

jorgegonzalito
07-26-15, 02:23 PM
Rockin Robbins

You have played another interesting point that refers to the sense of realistic risk in the game. If you browse a German u-boat between 1943 and 1945 knowing that your country will lose 70% of its submarine fleet, you go directly to suicide and not much more to say. That's the main reason I left Silent Hunter III. If navigating change in a US submarine, 16% of submarines lost in the war is a much more reasonable number, so you could say that each mission is a calculated risk. That does not mean its share of suspense to the game, just because you rely on your own skills for survival, and well can be part of that 16% of casualties.

Crannogman
07-26-15, 07:14 PM
The most difficult parts of the sim can indeed be automated - you can turn on automatic targeting and show contacts, et cetera. Crew management adds a way to further personalize and optimize your boat, but you can completely ignore it as well.

As for risk, you can never cause a player to have the same amount of existential fear experienced by the real submariners; thus the risks taken by the players will always be greater.

Rockin Robbins
07-27-15, 07:27 AM
Rockin Robbins

The first officer as virtual co-pilot, is of course the computer itself involved in automating your help logical tasks, through modifications to the program. In a moment of action where your sub is attacking or being attacked, it is absurd that a subordinate come to tell you that crew missing in a compartment, and have to go to put the dolls one by one, when caring these aspects is work of official who make up the crew. If only that aspect of the system will automate we would be taking a big step. In fact someone design a MOD for SH3, which makes the officer of the deck automatically raise the bridge to emerge the submarine without having to be placed manually each time.

One thing that is absurd is when you crash dive and forget to return the throttle it cruise position (whatever that is for the mod you play). In real life that would be impossible. Your ears would be destroyed by the noise for one thing, and the engine room would just call you up to remind you that you're still at ahead emergency. Or your exec would.

Show of hands. Mine is up. How many have ruined a cruise by accidentally leaving the throttle on ahead emergency then cranking up the time compression? Uh huh! I thought so. Impossible in real life. We are the brotherhood of the dead battery and the empty diesel tank. Somebody make us a flag!

Now in SH4 we have always had a modding code that is very strict. We decided that modding is changing the parameter text files, not modifying the .exe files that make up the game engine. We assigned the name "hacking" to messing with Ubi's exe property and complained long and hard about any mod that violated the policy. The only exception that I'm aware of is Multi-SH4, which changes the directory of the save game files so you can run more than one installation without confusion.

Most of the problems you cite and I cite here are hard coded in the exe files. As such they are off limits. The most important thing about modding is that we are cooperating with Ubi and the game developers, not hacking on their products. It's most important that future games are made to be modded and the easiest way for us to be locked out is to engage in hacking.

jorgegonzalito
07-27-15, 02:24 PM
Rockin Robbins

It is very true what you raise. It is remarkable that all software companies that create games or simulators, bring to market its products in haste, without making previous tests that would correspond to people who work with responsibility. I saw it with Microsoft which is then forced to issue patches and updates to correct problems that software buyers have had, and the company did not anticipate in advance. Regarding piracy is sometimes not easy to distinguish the thin red line between software modification for personal use and piracy. In fact, in Buenos Aires I can not get a legal copy of Silent Hunter IV, because it has been withdrawn from sale by its age, and I have no choice but to buy a pirated copy that I have promised to deliver in a few days. That's the reason I have not yet installed the SH. I nevertheless believe, which modifies the .exe file to remedy shortcomings of origin game designer does not act evil but he is doing a service to all users, service should offer the game's creator but almost never does.

Rockin Robbins
07-27-15, 02:56 PM
Yes, it's a shame but that's how the publishers view their games. And since they can lock us out, we have to ensure that we act with respect toward their wishes. It would be great if game developers could use submarine experts to evaluate their programs, but you have to realize that their business is not making simulations, but first person shooters.

In those you can let your imagination fly and produce a game where realism is never a consideration. That's why we have special abilities with ludicrous effects. When my crew sprouts a member with special abilities he's shot out of the nearest torpedo tube.

But the game developers thought that was fun stuff, making the torpedoes load in 30 seconds, adding ten knots to the speed, repairing damage in seconds. In fact, they broke the game. Even when we said so they just couldn't see it. Every FPS player likes to pick up an overpowered gun. Why are we so weird?

jorgegonzalito
07-27-15, 08:53 PM
You have played another interesting topic. It has been established beyond doubt what the real load time of the torpedo tubes in different types of submarines? For example in an American submarine type "Gato" or "Balao"? I know that 30 seconds is totally unrealistic, but it could be that the actual times imposed by mods are too exaggerated?

jorgegonzalito
07-27-15, 09:14 PM
There is an issue not quite understand regarding these forums Subsim, and I dare to ask in this same thread as we speak in an atmosphere of warmth and camaraderie all. I've noticed that my avatar is constantly changing, I have seen at least 6 or 7 different from that frequent the forum. I do not know if the reason is a joke that makes the new members, or originates in the arguments I presented in my publications. I've noticed that other members always have the same avatar and even some sample your own photograph. This has to do with money donations make the forum, or the question of what in my country call "derecho de piso", ie it must be a certain age in the environment in order to have avatars something more serious and consistent with a person of my age?

razark
07-27-15, 09:34 PM
Your avatar is based on your post count. As you get more posts, your avatar changes. Beware, there are a few (somewhat) humorous ones you will encounter.

If you make a donation to Subsim, you earn the ability to choose your own avatar.

fireftr18
07-27-15, 09:36 PM
There is an issue not quite understand regarding these forums Subsim, and I dare to ask in this same thread as we speak in an atmosphere of warmth and camaraderie all. I've noticed that my avatar is constantly changing, I have seen at least 6 or 7 different from that frequent the forum. I do not know if the reason is a joke that makes the new members, or originates in the arguments I presented in my publications. I've noticed that other members always have the same avatar and even some sample your own photograph. This has to do with money donations make the forum, or the question of what in my country call "derecho de piso", ie it must be a certain age in the environment in order to have avatars something more serious and consistent with a person of my age?

Your avatar will change with your Subsim rank. Look near the avatar and it will show some sort of rank. It changes as you post. When you donate, you can set your own avatar and name your own rank if you want.

Rockin Robbins
07-28-15, 06:30 AM
And when you get a certain amount of posts it seems your avatar no longer changes and you fondly remember the times when you'd discover your new avatar and laugh.
:subsim:

jorgegonzalito
07-28-15, 10:55 AM
Right. I understood the mechanics of the avatars in the forum. I would like to make a donation but I have no credit card, and not as may from Argentina to send you the dollars. Our country has set a trap to the US dollar, and to buy must be a very difficult to obtain authorization. And report this to the moderator who wrote me a message asking for a donation, and hoped that someone from Subsim make me any suggestions on how to resolve this issue.

Sailor Steve
07-28-15, 01:22 PM
Send a Private Message to Neal Stevens (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=209959), the owner of Subsim. He can help you figure out what to do. If you don't hear from him within a few days, let me know. I can help you contact him if necessary.

jorgegonzalito
07-28-15, 11:11 PM
Thanks Steve. They say you can donate money without credit card through PayPal. There PayPal in Argentina, but to open an account require me to have a credit card. I have no credit card, always use a debit card or cash.

aanker
07-29-15, 12:51 PM
Thanks Steve. They say you can donate money without credit card through PayPal. There PayPal in Argentina, but to open an account require me to have a credit card. I have no credit card, always use a debit card or cash.
Paypal seems to be happy with just a link to your bank account that they can use to get their money when you make a purchase.

At Paypal's website #2 says: "Securely link your bank accounts, debit cards, and credit cards" .... so, they appear to be satisfied without a 'real' Visa, they just want access to your account.
https://www.paypal.com/home

When I use Paypal they debit my bank account directly within a day for the $$. I don't have any credit cards linked to my Paypal. (maybe I slipped through the cracks?)

Good luck.

jorgegonzalito
07-29-15, 01:11 PM
Thanks mate, I'll try that way to see if I get well, or you could also buy books, DVDs and other things like that on the Internet.