PDA

View Full Version : Latest Acquisition

UKönig
07-18-15, 01:20 PM
The other day I went out and bought a book from my local Chapters store.

I could ill afford it (just means more noodle soup for dinner), but I could not let it sit on the shelves any longer.

It's chock full of pictures and information and although it tends to repeat it self a little here and there and occasionally mis-identifies a boat or a boat type, I can recommend the "Haynes" U-Boat 1936-1945 type VIIa-b-c, and c/41 Owners' Workshop Manual.

It also has some pretty good technical information and operating specs on the type VII U-boat. A good description of how the diving procedure was carried out, in 5 major steps.
I'd give it 4 stars (lost points for mis-identified boat types and odd spelling mistakes -for example type XII instead of type XXI), but because of the pictures , well worth the space in one's own library. Another must have for any U-boat "fan".

Sailor Steve
07-18-15, 01:35 PM
It's too bad you missed the Subnuts (Daryl Carpenter) review here.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215814

It seems this book is not up to Haynes's usual standards.

UKönig
07-18-15, 06:58 PM
About the only real plus is the amount of photographs, but old historical as well as current day, such from the U-995. I suppose that'd be the only reason to have the book at all. I love to devour the eye candy that is old war pictures.

UKönig
07-18-15, 07:08 PM
I mean, anybody who knows a great deal about the U-boat war and the battle of the atlantic already is better off trusting his/her own memory, to be sure. It's chock full of photos (should be a warning right there) and probably the only reason to have it is for photo hounds. Subnuts is correct, it doesn't contribute to the lore very much at all.