PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter IV- Crashes when any external view is used

Victor_Bowman
07-06-15, 06:57 PM
I recently downloaded Silent Hunter IV from Amazon, it installed fine and runs on my Windows Vista (x86), but whenever I try to use any external view, periscope, bridge, or otherwise, the game crashes. Has anyone experienced this problem before, and if so how is it fixed?

SilentPrey
07-06-15, 07:29 PM
Mine did this when I forgot to make the game large address aware.

Your setup doesn't sound like that will fix it for you though. Do I understand correctly that your operating system is 32-bit? If it's 64-bit and you have more than 4gb of ram then read this thread. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=202192

If not, hopefully someone who knows the answer will stumble by.

Welcome to subsim!

TorpX
07-06-15, 11:16 PM
I wonder if it could be a video card/driver issue.

Try playing a mission in a different place; one out at sea with only a couple other ships involved. Being in port can cause strain on the system, as there is a lot of scenery to render.

Victor_Bowman
07-07-15, 11:32 AM
Mine did this when I forgot to make the game large address aware.

Your setup doesn't sound like that will fix it for you though. Do I understand correctly that your operating system is 32-bit? If it's 64-bit and you have more than 4gb of ram then read this thread. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=202192

If not, hopefully someone who knows the answer will stumble by.

Welcome to subsim!

My system is 64-bit,I'll check it out.

merc4ulfate
07-07-15, 07:22 PM
Remove the game and reinstall it. You have a corrupt file. No one really needs the LAA. I'm not sure why people still think it is important. I have ran with and without and never saw a difference in the game or reliability. Reliability comes from clean installs and not buggering with it so much.

TorpX
07-07-15, 08:41 PM
Agree. You should be able to run the game ok without LAA. There might be some advantage to using it, if you have a heavy mod load, but something is wrong if you cannot run the game without it.

Victor_Bowman
07-09-15, 01:03 PM
Remove the game and reinstall it. You have a corrupt file. No one really needs the LAA. I'm not sure why people still think it is important. I have ran with and without and never saw a difference in the game or reliability. Reliability comes from clean installs and not buggering with it so much.

I did uninstall/reinstall it. Also, what's LAA?

SilentPrey
07-09-15, 01:17 PM
LAA = large address aware.

Some people apparently don't need it. My system won't run a clean install (unmodded) without it. That's why I recommend it for people having trouble keeping the game running.

TorpX
07-09-15, 11:30 PM
You might want to try experimenting with turning off/down some of the graphic options. I found my frame rates were rather low because of the 'volumetric fog' effect. This only occurred in the exterior views, of course.

SH4 is a pretty old game, I'm surprised anyone would need the LAA to run it. I've never needed it.

SilentPrey
07-10-15, 02:14 AM
You might want to try experimenting with turning off/down some of the graphic options. I found my frame rates were rather low because of the 'volumetric fog' effect. This only occurred in the exterior views, of course.

SH4 is a pretty old game, I'm surprised anyone would need the LAA to run it. I've never needed it.

That actually does work for me. But I LIKE the graphics cranked all the way out. I run 1600*900 at 60hz with everything but environmental effects turned on. (Can't stand being able to see through my crew.) The only thing that drops me below 60 fps is something moving into range. I use vertical sync so my laptop doesn't get too hot. It gets rather toasty making 130 fps. When I don't make it LAA I can't look outside with those settings. As soon as I go to periscope or deck view, "SH4.exe has stopped working." With LAA I only crash when something else (accidental unplug or quicktime update, etc.) happens.