PDA

View Full Version : Is the steam version compatible with mods?

ChaosDuck7
06-29-15, 07:53 PM
I keep hearing how the steam version is locked at update 1.3 and cant be updated to 1.4.

I would like to use trigger maru, run silent run deep and the pacific sounds mods. Will there be an issue?

CapnScurvy
06-30-15, 10:35 AM
If you already have the first installment of SH4 from STEAM, then you can check for yourself what version of the game they gave you. Look at the "main menu" game screen and see what is listed in the lower right corner of the screen:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/ScreenShot081copy_zpsdc804f6a.jpg

If it's version 1.3 you will need to upgrade your game simply because there are no mods that are compatible to it (we used to have them......... they just became obsolete as the later versions/patches were released).

If you haven't purchased yet, I would forget buying a download from STEAM. I would buy a new disk DVD from someplace like iNetVideo (http://www.inetvideo.com/products/silent-hunter-iv-wolves-of-the-pacific-gold-edition-pc) for less than what STEAM is going to charge you. The "Gold Edition" adds the U-Boat missions, AND is version 1.5......the latest edition. I did several years ago......it arrived in about 4 days from UbiSoft's Montreal Canada headquarters.

Now, I'm sure there are those that will tell you the STEAM downloads will allow you to mod the game (once you install ever thing correctly). That's fine, I have no argument with them. The issue from STEAM is that they sell you an inferior version of the game, and your only course of action is to purchase their next download of SH4 U-Boat Missions as an additional download. Buy a DVD v1.5 of the game, keeping it handy when you find you need to reinstall the game........and you will if you mod your game.

aanker
06-30-15, 11:20 AM
If you haven't purchased yet, I would forget buying a download from STEAM. I would buy a new disk DVD from someplace like iNetVideo (http://www.inetvideo.com/products/silent-hunter-iv-wolves-of-the-pacific-gold-edition-pc) for less than what STEAM is going to charge you. The "Gold Edition" adds the U-Boat missions, AND is version 1.5......the latest edition. I did several years ago......it arrived in about 4 days from UbiSoft's Montreal Canada headquarters.
Good advice from CapnScurvy.

In addition, from my reading of the Subsim forums, the people who seem to have the most trouble with Mods are those trying to install them on to the Steam product, even if updated to 1.5.

Although I bought SH4 from now defunct D2D, I did buy a Gold Edition after it came out to have 'just in case'.

One way to avoid re-installing is to never play the original copy that installs. Make a copy of the entire 5GB game and play and mod that copy of the install instead. Make the shortcut to sh4.exe, not GU.exe in this copy and have fun!

If the game files ever become corrupted I just delete the \Data folder and copy a fresh clean \Data folder from the untouched initial 'clean' install.

Happy Hunting!

SilentPrey
06-30-15, 02:11 PM
CapnScurvy is giving you good advice. Steam's a bit shady on this game. That said; I play a Steam copy (of 1.5; I also bought the expansion) with the following mod list:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Steam\steamapps\common\silent hunters wolves of the pacific\MODS]

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC_Realistic Scopes for 16 to 9 RSRDCv502
Improved Ship Physics 2.6_TMO_RSRDC_OTC
OTC_ISP_Crew Mod
Realism Settings

If you do end up going with Steam make sure you allow it to install DirectX 9 even though you already have 11. Steam also has an option to 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache' that will redownload all the files that don't match a clean install. That's what I use instead of reinstalling when I'm changing mod configurations. It's worked great so far. I just have to remember to make sh4.exe large address aware again afterwards.

So, to summarize, if you spring for the U-boats expansion, Steam works with mods. But there are cheaper alternatives that don't have the appearance of dishonesty that Steam has.