PDA

View Full Version : looking for book advice please?

slipper
06-14-15, 08:30 AM
Hi all,

I am after a bit of advice please, my knowledge of surface engagements and ships in general from WW2 is not brilliant.

So I am after 2 books if they exist, firstly is there any recommended book with an encyclopedia type layout giving descriptions of WW2 ships?

Secondly is there a good reference book detailing WW2 naval actions? More interested in Europe, North Atlantic, Mediterranean really.

If the above two books do not exist, can anyone recommend any other books covering some of the areas mentioned above, individual battles, type of ship etc?

Thanks for any help

Slipper

tmccarthy
06-15-15, 12:35 AM
For Naval Actions check out author Vincent P. O'Hara.

-Tim

slipper
06-15-15, 04:12 PM
Many thanks Tim, exactly what I was looking for. Any other suggestions welcome, still looking for an encyclopedia type book as well please.

Cheers

Slipper

Sailor Steve
06-15-15, 05:07 PM
More pictures and drawings:
http://www.amazon.com/Janes-Fighting-Ships-World-War/dp/0517679639

More Accurate:
http://www.amazon.com/Conways-Worlds-Fighting-Ships-1922-1946/dp/0870219138

slipper
06-15-15, 05:17 PM
Thanks sailor steve, both look good mate have to decide which one I go for.

Quick question on the o'hara books. The reviews on Amazon seem to agree to a slight pro Italian and anti- British bias. Would you agree? Would rather read an unbiased view.

tmccarthy
06-15-15, 10:52 PM
Quick question on the o'hara books. The reviews on Amazon seem to agree to a slight pro Italian and anti- British bias. Would you agree? Would rather read an unbiased view.

I have two books by O'hara, "The U.S. Navy Against the Axis: Surface Combat 1941-1945" which I can recommend and enjoyed because it covered exactly what I was looking for - surface engagements.

I also have "Struggle for the Middle Sea" but have not read yet so unfortunately can't comment on any bias.

You also might like "Subchaser" by Edward P. Stafford a great first hand account of wartime experiences in command of a small ship in the Mediterranean.

-Tim

slipper
06-16-15, 04:13 AM
Ok, cheers Tim

Ahead Flank
06-25-15, 11:37 AM
I'd like to recommend you to read Junio Valerio Borghese's "Decima Flottiglia MAS" book. Probably, it's not quite that you've expected, but you will definitely like it. It's about Italian naval frogmen commando training and operations in the Mediterranean sea during WW2. Very live, detailed, realistic, but a bit embellished, as some experts consider.
That's one of my personal top-list. :Kaleun_Wink: