PDA

View Full Version : Torres Strait

Crannogman
06-11-15, 03:59 PM
Does anyone actually sail through this waterway between Australia and New Guinea?

cdrsubron7
06-11-15, 04:45 PM
Does anyone actually sail through this waterway between Australia and New Guinea?

I've used the Torres Straits a number of times when transitting from the west coast of Australia to the east coast. Some areas can get pretty shallow when diving. So in case you caught on the surface by a Japanese plane, make sure you know how much water you've got under you. :salute:

Crannogman
06-11-15, 05:55 PM
I found a good chart of the Strait and have been going nuts adding shoals and reefs - it should make a transit even more interesting

TorpX
06-11-15, 09:58 PM
I think I did once.

Nothing happened, but I realized half way through, it probably wasn't a good idea.

Actually, it may have been another game, now that I think about it.:88)

Hambone307
06-12-15, 06:13 AM
I have a couple times. The first time I didn't realized how shallow it was and thought to myself that I hope nothing turns up. Had a mini heart attack when I got a radar contact, but it was friendly aircraft. The second time I got another radar contact and figured it was friendly aircraft again, but was sadly mistaken. In my attempt to dodge an incoming bombing run, I ran aground and lost my boat.

I try to stay away from that place now.