PDA

View Full Version : So damn sick of it...

Meldric
06-06-15, 07:00 AM
Greets!

First of all, I have to say thank you to all the modders out there! And, having that said, I have to curse Ubisoft down to the deepest hell existing!

I am so damn sick of it! I have been around for some years and I always come back to SH5, because I love to play Subsims. I have been fiddling with my own mod-soup for a long time, but there was always something not working, whether because of the soup or bugs in the game (or a mix of both).

Now I finally decided to go for a megamod and I choose "Wolves of steel". I did that primarily to get rid of the problems by taking a tested set of mods. Secondary, I decided to go there, because my hardware can manage it meanwhile. I did a fresh install and followed the instructions BY THE LETTER. It really looks phantastic and the modders did a great job to make a simulation game worth the time out of what Ubi has thrown on the market.

But now I am getting very new problems! I start getting game freezes in the middle of an attack. This is so damn frustrating. I have GWX installed parallel and hop back and forth all the time. GWX works and everything is where it belongs to... but it looks kind of old (graphic-wise). Then, I jump back to SH5, because it does look so phantastic...
But I always stumple across the smallest and simplest things that do simply not work in SH5...

I ended up using more than 80% (estimated) of my time in patching, modding, editing files, fiddling with mods and supermods and still running into issues again and again. Just crashed in the middle of an attack (game froze, there was nothing I could do)... The waiting times to start up and load a game are ridiculous...

Well, I just wanted to tell it to someone who can hopefully understand my desperation. Frustrating as hell all this. And I DO NOT WANT to play SH-Online...

:(

mobucks
06-06-15, 07:13 AM
Post your hardware specs please.

vdr1981
06-06-15, 07:19 AM
I ended up using more than 80% (estimated) of my time in patching, modding, editing files, fiddling with mods and supermods and still running into issues again and again. Just crashed in the middle of an attack (game froze, there was nothing I could do)... The waiting times to start up and load a game are ridiculous...

Well, I just wanted to tell it to someone who can hopefully understand my desperation. Frustrating as hell all this. And I DO NOT WANT to play SH-Online...

Hold you horses there and calm down...:D
Do you want to hear what is my hardware configuration? AMD athlon 5000+, 4GB DDR2 of RAM and old 8800GT with 512MB of VRAM...:smug:
PC is almost 10 years old and yet I'm able to play SH5 more or less smoothly with moderate time compression...

According to your post something has gone wrong with your game, we meet number of people who said that they followed instruction by the letter only to discover later that they actually overlooked something. This must be the case here also because if I'm able to play it with my PC, certainly other people will bee able too.

You also have to read FAQ and especially tips for stable gameplay, have you done that?

Meldric
06-06-15, 07:26 AM
As I said, I am doing this for years. Have been around in the forums a while...

My hardware:
Proc: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor 4000 MHz
Memory: 8 GB of RAM
Board: ASRock 970 Extreme4
Graphics: NVIDIA GForce GTX 970 (running on 1920x1080, 32Bit)

Should be more than enough to run this. And I do not think it is about hardware after all. As I said, I think it is the soup in combination with a bug or whatever...

It is just that I cannot get this to run in a pleasing way...

Mods:
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Spiele\SilentHunter5\MODS]

The Wolves of Steel 1.03
The Wolves of Steel 1.03 - Patch 5
The Wolves of Steel 1.03 - Patch 5_HotFix 2
The Wolves of Steel - 16x9 Resolution Patch
Dragons WoS Addon
Raven Corax' German Patch v5

vdr1981
06-06-15, 07:39 AM
As I said, I am doing this for years. Have been around in the forums a while...

My hardware:
Proc: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor 4000 MHz
Memory: 8 GB of RAM
Board: ASRock 970 Extreme4
Graphics: NVIDIA GForce GTX 970 (running on 1920x1080, 32Bit)

Should be more than enough to run this. And I do not think it is about hardware after all. As I said, I think it is the soup in combination with a bug or whatever...

It is just that I cannot get this to run in a pleasing way...

Mods:
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Spiele\SilentHunter5\MODS]

The Wolves of Steel 1.03
The Wolves of Steel 1.03 - Patch 5
The Wolves of Steel 1.03 - Patch 5_HotFix 2
The Wolves of Steel - 16x9 Resolution Patch
Dragons WoS Addon
Raven Corax' German Patch v5

OK, now please tell me where did you read in my install instruction that dragon addon is compatible with TWoS 1.03?!:D
Then read first sentence in my tips for stable gameplay...:yep: Raven Corax patch may be outdated and/or faulty too, I never test it...

And these problems are visiible from only one post, god knows what could we discover more if we continue to spam here...:D

So do yourself a favor and reinstall the game completely and follow install instructions by the letter. If you are able to do that I can promise to you that you wont have previously described problems...You may have some other problems but that's different story then... :D

Meldric
06-06-15, 08:19 AM
Will do so and start over (again).
Will check if I can find a (compatible) patch to get the strings to german again...

Thanks for the help.

EDIT:
Taking this one:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215259

vdr1981
06-06-15, 10:58 AM
Will do so and start over (again).
Will check if I can find a (compatible) patch to get the strings to german again...

Thanks for the help.

EDIT:
Taking this one:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215259

Keep in mind that İ'm constantly updating the megamod so compatibility with some other mods is questionable.

Meldric
06-06-15, 11:13 AM
This time I got a complete system freeze. I have not seen something like this since I started using Win7. Only reset worked.
I was approaching Danzig in first mission, no TC, no AI around, no enemies, just a lot of water and nice weather...
I have reinstalled as described in the update instructions. Word by word this time.

Going in again... as it looks... marvelous.

mobucks
06-06-15, 07:00 PM
Try doing the entire thing without using JGME

maillemaker
06-07-15, 09:38 PM
It's just the way it is, I'm afraid.

I've installed Wolves of Steel to the letter and I crash at least once a patrol. Always at time compression, but never more than 1024 as that is the max it will go to. Usually when approaching home port.

Interestingly and happily I never have a problem around convoys, which was the nemesis of SH3 for me.

Wolves of Steel is probably the best, most vetted and integrated set of mods available for SH5, as far as I've seen.

Steve

kevinsue
06-07-15, 10:05 PM

I've installed Wolves of Steel to the letter and I crash at least once a patrol. Always at time compression, but never more than 1024 as that is the max it will go to. Usually when approaching home port.

Interestingly and happily I never have a problem around convoys, which was the nemesis of SH3 for me.

Wolves of Steel is probably the best, most vetted and integrated set of mods available for SH5, as far as I've seen.

Steve

I never use anything higher than TCX256 in open waters, TC128 when a few things are going on and TCX2 or TCX4 when close to harbour.

vdr1981
06-08-15, 07:21 AM

Fortunately, it is not...
Most people want to complete their patrol with just a few gamesaves/game restarts and with use of high TC. Unfortunately, modded SH5 needs full game restarts from time to time and especially between situation when large number of units in your rendering area is expected, for example return to the home port from patrol area... The bottom line is, if you skip to save/restart your game when it's necessary, the game will restart it self. :)
The key for understanding when game needs to be fully restarted is in (I wondering how many times i have to wright this ) is in my tips for stable gameplay, in your case especially it is the line when I say that game has to be saved/restarted approx 200km from the home port at the beginning and at the end of every patrol.
Playing game like this I was able to pass Opening and the Happy times campaign with only one CTD and that wasn't random crash, it was (you remember) damaged task force leader CTD which we still dont know how to properly fix but we know how to avid it, luckily...

maillemaker
06-08-15, 11:51 AM
I never use anything higher than TCX256 in open waters, TC128 when a few things are going on and TCX2 or TCX4 when close to harbour.

That's a non-starter for me.

I miss the 4000+ TC in SH3 where I just zip across the sea until a contact is made. Maybe in 10 years computers will be strong enough to let SH5 do it. :)

The key for understanding when game needs to be fully restarted is in (I wondering how many times i have to wright this ) is in my tips for stable gameplay, in your case especially it is the line when I say that game has to be saved/restarted approx 200km from the home port at the beginning and at the end of every patrol.

Good to know. Sucks that you have to exit and restart the game every time you leave/enter patrol, but oh well.

Makes me wish there was a "teleport home" option I could just use like in SH3 once I got 200 km from home.

RealGrognard
07-04-15, 11:11 AM
I agree with you.

I couldn't even get Vanilla to work properly in a basic sense.

I went to Silent Hunter III permanently. It's the only realistic solution. And yes, a curse be upon Ubisoft's 7th grandfather.

vdr1981
07-04-15, 05:53 PM
I couldn't even get Vanilla to work properly in a basic sense.
Of course you couldn't, mods and especially TDW generic patcher will fix the unplayable stock game. But, I must agree that modded SH5 can be frustrating experience for people who are not at least a bit familiarized with modding.

And yes, a curse be upon Ubisoft's 7th grandfather.
+1

maillemaker
07-06-15, 09:12 AM
I've been playing a few months now with the WoS mod.

It's fairly stable for me. The biggest headache is you have to exit and restart the game before you get within about 200km of your home port.

I'm having an issue in my VIIB that when I am in port all my internal loads are electric but as soon as I start the mission my stern tube is loaded with steam.

Steve