PDA

View Full Version : Question about mines.

sshellokitty
06-03-15, 03:07 PM
So we have a chart from Sjizzle that shows some of the mine barrage locations around the UK and outbound from Wilhelmshaven, and I've gotten the message about the British laying mines in certain positions when starting a tutorial in historic missions. Are mines actually in the game with The Wolves of Steel pack? I've never seen them before.

Sjizzle
06-03-15, 03:15 PM
So we have a chart from Sjizzle that shows some of the mine barrage locations around the UK and outbound from Wilhelmshaven, and I've gotten the message about the British laying mines in certain positions when starting a tutorial in historic missions. Are mines actually in the game with The Wolves of Steel pack? I've never seen them before.

yup the mines are in the game :D i killed my crew 3 times cos of the mines :D

sshellokitty
06-03-15, 03:47 PM
yup the mines are in the game :D i killed my crew 3 times cos of the mines :D

Oohhh boy, good thing I just replotted my course to the British east coast so I go south of the North Sea's barrages! Thank you good sir. :salute:

THE_MASK
06-03-15, 06:49 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2314587&postcount=3969

sshellokitty
06-04-15, 03:05 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2314587&postcount=3969

Ouch! Well I'm glad I'm not using dead is dead, sober lol. I would hate to randomly run into a mine and then have to start all the way back at Memel again. That's too hardcore for me :P Thanks for the link!

kevinsue
06-05-15, 02:52 AM

Here's an interesting excerpt from the book "Steel Boat Iron Hearts: A U-boat Crewman's Life Aboard U-505" regarding precautions against mines while transiting harbours. You just don't imagine the the gallant U-boat departing or returning triumphantly into harbour, with nearly the entire crew kneeling in the prayer position on the deck like worshipers caught without their prayer mats. :nope:

We departed for our third war patrol at exactly 1800 hours on the 4th of October 1942. Our transit out of Lorient harbor had a new wrinkle: all non-essential personnel had to assemble on the upper deck until we cleared the breakwaters. A red buoy in the channel marked the spot where, just a few weeks before, a returning U-boat had struck a mine laid by enemy aircraft the previous night. The boat sank in full view of the horrified spectators. Only two members of the crew survived, even though the water was only about ten meters (33 feet) deep. Apparently, the concussion of the mine had broken the backs of many of the men. As a result, all departing and returning boats were now under orders to assemble non-essential crewmen on the upper deck wearing life jackets. Furthermore, we were required to kneel, because it was believed this precaution would prevent our legs from being driven into our spines by the concussion.

On August 1, 1943, we once again departed Lorient harbor for the bountiful hunting grounds of the Western Atlantic. This time we left in the company of U-68, U-523, and U-123. I joined the majority of the crew, kneeling on the upper deck with a life preserver around my neck as a precaution against injury from mines. The religious symbolism of departing the harbor on bended knee was not lost on us.

sshellokitty
06-05-15, 03:35 PM
Here's an interesting excerpt from the book "Steel Boat Iron Hearts: A U-boat Crewman's Life Aboard U-505" regarding precautions against mines while transiting harbours. You just don't imagine the the gallant U-boat departing or returning triumphantly into harbour, with nearly the entire crew kneeling in the prayer position on the deck like worshipers caught without their prayer mats. :nope:

Oh wow, thanks for this I will have to check out that book.