PDA

View Full Version : SH5 driving me bonkers!

Monadnock
06-02-15, 07:22 PM
Hey guys,

Fairly new here, but this place is a wealth of information thanks to all of the hard work of everyone here. It is most appreciated.

I have the Steam version of SH5 (Yeah, I know...), and last year I had it working with mods really well. Only intermittent crashes, but was very playable as long as I saved often. I unfortunately had a drive failure and had to reinstall everything. My Steam folders were not backed up.

Anyway, I got around to reinstalling SH5 again, and I did so from Steam. Now the problems began. When I first got into the game, I intended to get to Kiel so that I could then save, exit, and then install some mods. Problem is, I can't actually "dock" at Kiel. Technically, I can, but I can't. Allow me to try to explain this: When I pull the sub into the pen at Kiel, the cutscene with the captain plays (where you get promoted), but the Captain is alone when he should be talking to the Admiral. The Captain talks, but the Admiral just isn't there. He's just invisible or something. So that scene finally ends with my sub crashing into the pen.

At that point, the yellow exclamation point saying "Dock at Kiel" is still there, as if the game never updated. Since the Admiral is playing Ghost, I can't actually do anything. I've done this upwards of ten times now, with the same result every time.

Another problem is character movement. When I'm outside on the conning tower, it's very jerky and doesn't seem to be the same as last year. As a matter of fact, the whole sub itself seems different. I don't remember the deck gun being a 20mm cannon, but rather an actual naval gun. Just seems strange.

I did try to install the update (even though Steam says that it's already v1.2), but as you all know, that doesn't work because it's looking for the box install path and not steam.

I then thought of generic patcher, but learned that it can't be used with Steam until recently. Thing is, I don't remember having to do that the first time around. It was fairly simple, but now it's just a nightmare. I have searched through subsim in an effort to help myself, but I'm not sure if I need to run the generic patcher through steam (Thanks TheDarkWraith, btw, you're awesome), or if I just need to hang up my sealegs for good.

Looking for a bit of advice, and it would be greatly appreciated.

Rock on, subsim, you guys are rockstars.

Aktungbby
06-02-15, 07:25 PM
Monadnock!:Kaleun_Salute:HANG tough! you're in the right forum good help to arrive shortly!

Monadnock
06-02-15, 07:31 PM
Thank you Aktungbby.

In the interim, I'm looking around and trying to find anything that may assist me. I'm not typically one to ask for help (too much pride I think), but I do believe with this problem I'm in over my head. There is just so much information to take in.

Thanks again!

kevinsue
06-02-15, 07:45 PM
Thank you Aktungbby.

In the interim, I'm looking around and trying to find anything that may assist me. I'm not typically one to ask for help (too much pride I think), but I do believe with this problem I'm in over my head. There is just so much information to take in.

Thanks again!

Greetings Monadnock, Welcome to Subsim :subsim:

Head over to THEBERBSTER Tutorials Thread. There is a wealth of info about everything SH5 including getting the Steam version modded and working correctly.:up:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804

Monadnock
06-02-15, 07:50 PM
Thank you kevinsue, I'll head over and take a look.

ReallyDedPoet
06-02-15, 08:27 PM
Welcome to SUBSIM :yep::up:

Monadnock
06-02-15, 11:39 PM
OK, so I followed these directions:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2266214&postcount=161

Am I now supposed to run the generic patcher even though multiple posts say it does not work with Steam? But it -should- work now since I replaced the Sh5.exe, right?

I'm a little lost here, there's just so many posts to try and follow.

sshellokitty
06-03-15, 12:02 AM
OK, so I followed these directions:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2266214&postcount=161

Am I now supposed to run the generic patcher even though multiple posts say it does not work with Steam? But it -should- work now since I replaced the Sh5.exe, right?

I'm a little lost here, there's just so many posts to try and follow.

Here is post 96 from THEBERBSTER's tutorial thread http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2208570&postcount=96.

The post has the same link you looked at (I believe) so it would seem that once you take those steps with Steam you should be fine to just install and use the Generic File Patcher.

I had the steam version of the game but eventually just got the Amazon digital copy of the game which can be patched to 1.2 and seems to work fine. I'm running The Wolves of Steel pack right now and just completed the Baltic Operations and haven't had any crashes. :salute:

Monadnock
06-03-15, 12:20 AM
I may end up picking up an actual copy of the game. This seems like an awful lot of work. With that said, I've just finished patching with the generic patcher.

Problem is, I didn't see anything that would fix the issue I'm having where when I "dock" in Kiel, it doesn't really dock and the Admiral is invisible. It's like the game thinks I'm still on the sub.

I had the game working beautifully last year and I was running the steam version. I know I had to make some changes to get it running fine, I just don't remember doing any of this. As a matter of fact, unless I'm mistaken, the only mod I had installed was OHII.

Going to give this a run and see how it does. I'll update here.

EDIT: No dice, Admiral still doesn't show up and my sub just rams the inside of the pen. Can't continue from here because it still tells me to "Dock at Kiel" and here I am sitting on the dock. I need to speak to the Admiral the get my mission, but he's apparently a spectre.

THE_MASK
06-03-15, 01:09 AM
Your game needs to be patched to the official 1.2 version for anything to work .

Monadnock
06-03-15, 01:46 AM
I patched it to 1.2, but I figured out how to get it all to work.

Magnum_Opus.

That was the key. Magnum_Opus apparently has a bug fix regarding the initial docking at Kiel and subsequent conversation with the guy who gives out missions. He wasn't there before, but it all worked as soon as I installed MO.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help, it's appreciated.

Jimbuna
06-03-15, 06:05 AM
Welcome Aboard Monadnock :salute:

sshellokitty
06-03-15, 09:34 AM
I patched it to 1.2, but I figured out how to get it all to work.

Magnum_Opus.

That was the key. Magnum_Opus apparently has a bug fix regarding the initial docking at Kiel and subsequent conversation with the guy who gives out missions. He wasn't there before, but it all worked as soon as I installed MO.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help, it's appreciated.

Glad you got it sorted out. If you have any extra cash in your pocket I would still suggest picking up a different copy. You might want to try out different mods in the future or something. In any case, happy hunting! :salute:

Monadnock
06-03-15, 11:56 AM
Not a bad idea and probably worth the $25 or so. Just the hassle of not dealing with Steam (for this game anyway) is worth that.