PDA

View Full Version : SH4 sonar modeling questions

harlikwin
05-07-15, 04:26 PM
FNG here.

Just wondering how sophisticated is the SH4 sonar modeling is? It seems a bit Arcadey to me, giving you perfect bearing and decently accurate range information to all targets in real time.

Are there actual differences modeled between the various fleet boat sonar systems? How about differences between the performances of the German GHG sets versus the american JP/JT systems? The GHG should have far superior long range performance.

Also is the JAA system (passive ranging sonar) modeled at all?

Link here to the US stuff.
http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/sonar/chap13.htm

TorpX
05-07-15, 11:12 PM
Just wondering how sophisticated is the SH4 sonar modeling is?
The answer to your question is: Not very.

I don't believe the different types are modeled in any detailed way.

I aim for a realistic game, as much as possible. Using RFB, a selection of compatible mods, and turning off map-contacts, I will have very limited information from sound. In fact, seldom will my soundman report a contact. Almost always, something will be seen first.

Note that it is possible to listen oneself, and hear things much farther away, but I consider this a 'cheat', as the modded AI detection abilities are in line with early way sound gear the USN subs had.

It would be nice to have better sound mechanics, but SH4 has inherent limitations in this department.

harlikwin
05-08-15, 02:09 PM
I figured as much, I just started playing SH4gold, so I haven't seen any real late war stuff, nor any actual upgrades yet. Shame though, it would be interesting to have some of the late war US sonar gear modeled.

merc4ulfate
05-08-15, 02:19 PM
What is different is how the sonar range is modeled with different mods. Some have a greater range some less. All have one things though. If the vessel is going less than halfs its maximum speed you will not hear it with passive sonar.

Max=18
Speed=7

No can hear oh great and mighty ruler of the deep.