PDA

View Full Version : How does damage control work?

maillemaker
04-25-15, 12:13 PM
So I'm on my first mission, using Wolves of Steel mod.

Sail into the Baltic bay, and next thing you know I'm getting shelled by a destroyer that can't be more than 3000 meters behind us. Why my crew never saw it, I don't know.

Anyway, I dive.

We sink, uncontrolled, to the bottom at like 70 meters.

I can't figure out damage control.

It doesn't help that all the systems are labeled in German, but anyway the descriptions are in English.

I assume if a system is red and at 0% it is destroyed?

Why is it when I click on a system, and a little beating hammer appears, if I go to another compartment and come back the hammer is gone? Have repairs stopped?

Do I have to create a damage control team like in SH3?

I had a lot of injuries. I tried talking to my chief engineer and getting him to control flooding, but he kept saying he could not do that right now. There was a clock time beside "repair critical systems" (item 1).

So I just kind of stood there until my sub self-destructed.

How do you operate damage control?

Steve

SeaStalker
05-03-15, 10:23 AM
I'm still really new at this game, but it appears it may work two ways. First, you can tell the XO (Josef) to begin repairs. Or, in most cases, it looks like he sends a team to damaged areas -- which is probably where you're seeing the hammer-icon(s).

adrians69
05-03-15, 04:13 PM
The little hammers show which damaged components are being worked on. If there was a clock next to the dialogue in Josef's dialogue box, that option has been selected and the clock shows how long until you can use it again. The yellow dots next to each option shows the cost of that option in morale points, therefore if it was the first item in his dialogue, it will have cost 5 morale points. He will not complete any orders that are "worth" more morale points than he has. The yellow dots at the top of each person's dialogue box lets you see how many points that person has left.

MCM
05-15-15, 03:59 AM
And what if they are repairing the radio instead of the very urgent water flood? How can I tell them to repair something different?

mobucks
05-15-15, 06:31 AM
Repairing subsystems and pumping out flooding are separate actions. Both will happen automatically; the CE abilities only make them take less time, at the cost of morale.

The crew will repair one subsystem per compartment at a time. You can choose which one by clicking on it's tab/button in the system screen. Some subsystems will only be repaired when surfaced.

maillemaker
05-15-15, 02:31 PM
What is the purpose of clicking the hammer icon when you select the Chief's icon on the bottom-center menu of officer icons?

maillemaker
05-27-15, 06:20 PM
I am really not understanding damage control. It seems pretty ineffective compared to SH3.

I just got hit by two fighters. Dropped a bomb right next to us. Injured most of the officers (except the chief) and we had 94% hull integrity and 7% flooding. We drop to the bottom in 36 meters of water.

First of all, in SH3 with 94% HI I should have had the flooding under control in minutes and been able to sail away on the surface no problem. Even dive.

But with SH5, we sink by the bow and settle on the floor.

I tell the chief to control flooding, but we flood anyway and game over.

It appears that there are some components that can't be repaired? Even if they are not red. They never seem to improve in percentage.

What is the purpose of the little hammer icon on the officer shortcut under chief? Most of the time when you click on it it turns yellow and then turns white right away.

I miss the SH3 damage control screen where you could see the entire sub and immediately understand the entire situation. In SH5 you have to go compartment by compartment figuring out where the damage is.

But it doesn't seem to matter anyway because evidently you have no control over damage control (at least flooding) and you can't apply more men or anything to make it happen faster. The only thing you can do is direct the chief to address things but if he is injured that doesn't work and it doesn't seem to matter much if he isn't injured.

If you have minor damage things seem to get repaired in a day or so but there certainly are no Das Boot moments where you sit on the bottom even in 36 meters of water and repair your sub!

I'm using the Wolves of Steel modpack.

THE_MASK
05-27-15, 06:38 PM
With R.S.D. - Reworked Submarine Damage any hits by bullets or close bombs will result in disablement of the sub or parts like in real life . Planes are your worst enemy . Don't attack ships on the surface unless early on in the campaign . You can repair the unrepairable items but will only appear repaired after a reload (bug) . No one is going to repair anything while you are silent running . You will only get messages about items repaired while in 1X time compression .

vdr1981
05-27-15, 06:55 PM
There is no advanced damage control in SH5 except two commands visible in chief engineer dialog menu and it seems that yellow hammer doesn't really do anything...I know, it's really shame...

Don't get confused by overall hull integrity readings, this is just leftover from stock damage model (nonexistent damage modeling to be more precise) and it means almost nothing.

Of course that some damage cant be repaired while you're at sea.

You will understand how damage modeling in modded SH5 works if you read first few posts of this thread...http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=207093

maillemaker
05-27-15, 08:53 PM
This is a good read, but from what I'm reading so far, 2 flooded compartments shouldn't sink my sub. I had to flooding compartments and it sank my sub in 26 meters of water. I could not stay on the surface, and I blew 100% of my compressed air and I could not get off the bottom.

Does closing compartment doors accomplish anything?

Steve

mobucks
05-28-15, 03:53 PM
No

And you probably took more damage than you thought you did.

I've been getting knocked around a lot in my campaign and the only thing that sunk me yet is bumping into the docks in Wilhelmshaven.