PDA

View Full Version : TDW's Generic Patcher - Question about "Files:" line

maillemaker
04-20-15, 04:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/g0cI9si.png

OK, I think I'm understanding how to use this.

It is not sufficient to just go down the list of patch modifications and enable them.

Some of them require additional mod work to make the patch function, correct?

OK, in the above example, the File: field is set to:

C:\Users\Steve\Downloads\SH5\TDW Generic Patcher\MODS\Objects_wind_direction_and_speed.zip

Now that file exists - it is part of what you get when you unzip the Patcher download.

But I assume that it is not sufficient to leave that zip file sitting there - I actually have to unzip that file (it's a mod) and use JSGME to install it?

In other words, the File: field is simply pointing me to the location of the mod archive. It's not the location where some file needs to be for the patch to run?

It would be cool if there was a front end you ran and you just chose which options you wanted and the appropriate patch was applied, plus any file manipulations were done for you.

It's kind of confusing to keep track of which patches need to be applied across which files (dependencies) and which files need to be manipulated outside of the patcher.

Steve

maillemaker
04-20-15, 06:04 PM
OK, I've gone through the patcher and looked at everything I turned on.

Everything that required a mod, I unziipped the mod and copied into the SH5 MODS folder, and I will enable with JSGME.

Some of the patches refer to a text file, and it just says, "If you want to change this you can edit file X" (like if you want searchlights at dusk).

I assume that the patch already has some default value and I don't have to edit the file to make the patch work?

It would be nice if there was a button you would click like there is for Dependencies that would check to see if the necessary mods were enabled or at least in the MODS folder.

Steve