PDA

View Full Version : Why am I having fuel issues?

thegrindre
03-27-15, 03:05 PM
Over by Japan, I ran out of torpedoes so made a bee-line home to Pearl with 51% fuel left in my tanks.
When I was right below Midway, I had 24% fuel left. In Pearl, I had 10% left. (I call that a close one...)
This is twice now that I've had fuel issues while the seas were calm and I never had to dive. I kept my speed to 9 knots, just below STD speed.
If you remember the first time, I was unable to get home or to ANY port from the South China Sea with 51% fuel left in my tanks.
What could be causing this fuel problem?

I run GFO.

:)

razark
03-27-15, 03:19 PM
Have you taken any damage?

les green01
03-27-15, 04:09 PM
do you stop at midway and refuel

thegrindre
03-27-15, 05:35 PM
No damage. I've been pretty careful and haven't acquired any, so far. :up:

As I stated earlier, it takes about 1/4 tank to get to Japan but almost 1/2 tank to get back. And I can't get back from the South China Sea to anywhere on a 1/2 tank.
I don't see where Midway has anything to do with it. I leave from Pearl.

Pigboatcook
03-27-15, 05:38 PM
I don't understand what the problem is. Twenty five (24%) returning to Midway is very typical. From there to Pearl is 1300 NM. If you topped off at Midway going and coming you should have no problem with fuel.

merc4ulfate
03-27-15, 09:33 PM
stop running so fast ... use ten knots only as your fastest speed.

les green01
03-27-15, 09:36 PM
stop at midway top off tanks going and coming back

Overkill
03-27-15, 10:09 PM
I don't see where Midway has anything to do with it. I leave from Pearl.

Subs heading out on patrol from Pearl would stop at Midway to top off their tanks and they'd do the same on the way back.

thegrindre
03-27-15, 10:18 PM
stop running so fast ... use ten knots only as your fastest speed.
I don't travel any faster then 9 knots. 10 knots uses too much fuel.

TorpX
03-28-15, 12:49 AM
As other said, you should be topping off your tanks at Midway. There is really no reason not to do this, if you are going by anyway.

You didn't say what class of boat you are in. This could be important. Are you submerging frequently? Charging batteries uses fuel.

If you really are concerned about this, you need to compile accurate figures and not just rely on: "I went from Japan to Pearl, and I ran low". We don't know what route you took, or how many miles you steamed. Your navigator can lay out a precise course and tell you how many miles it is. This information will help you (and us), in these matters.

Pisces
03-28-15, 05:01 AM
You also have to consider the weather. If for most of the time you encountered heavy waves then your mileage will suffer. You should notice this when the speed needle is pointing all over the place at time compression.

merc4ulfate
03-28-15, 10:31 AM
When posting question it would be helpful to post two simply things

Your version

Your mods list as it is shown in JSGME It will look like this:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Improved Ship Physics 2.6_TMO_RSRDC
TMO_Visuals_for_RSRDC
FJB_Navigation_Maps
FJB Color Navigation Map
Gyoraitei
11 New Ships + Yamato AA Fix by Miner1436
Ship pack 1
More_DDs_for_AITorpedoLauncher
More_IJNDDs_AITorpedolauncher
SMALLER SEA PLANTS SMALL
SMALLER SEABED ROCKS
#5 Depthcharge Sound
#2 Other Clouds
Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton for v1.4 and v1.5
Aircraft_reflections
Hull_Numbers

thegrindre
03-28-15, 11:28 AM
When posting question it would be helpful to post two simply things

Your version

Your mods list as it is shown in JSGME
Both are posted in my first post.
One in my sig the other in my post itself.

YonMaruIchi
03-28-15, 09:40 PM
When you leave Pearl, instead of sailing by south of Midway, next time stop into the harbor and say hello and hit that "refit and refuel" button that pops up when you get close. That's what Midway has to do with it.

merc4ulfate
03-28-15, 10:47 PM
Odd I do not see a list posted from JSGME

TorpX
03-28-15, 11:59 PM
thegrindre,

There is something I forgot to mention. If your batteries suffer damage, your crew will attempt to fully recharge them, even though they cannot be fully recharged. In other words, your crew will be wasting fuel continuously, until you order 'standard propulsion'. This doesn't happen too often, but may explain the strange 'hole in your tank'.

This is a stock bug, and you just have to be aware about it.

thegrindre
03-29-15, 01:58 AM
Odd I do not see a list posted from JSGME
It's there and my post hasn't been edited. :up:
Some of us noobs don't have a list as long as yours...

thegrindre
03-29-15, 02:03 AM
thegrindre,

There is something I forgot to mention. If your batteries suffer damage, your crew will attempt to fully recharge them, even though they cannot be fully recharged. In other words, your crew will be wasting fuel continuously, until you order 'standard propulsion'. This doesn't happen too often, but may explain the strange 'hole in your tank'.

This is a stock bug, and you just have to be aware about it.

Ahh, maybe that's it. I noticed that my batteries wouldn't recharge back up any more then 98%.
I was going to ask about that. All it ever said was 98/100 no matter how long or far I traveled on the surface.

fireftr18
03-29-15, 05:04 PM
I forgot about the battery damage issue also. Sounds like that's what it is. You can manually shut off charging with the Control Room controls. :up: