PDA

View Full Version : Sub vs Sub (Underwater) back in WW2 or earlier period?

depthtok33l
03-07-15, 08:22 PM
Was it possible for submarines to engage other submarines underwater in WW2 or earlier period?

I'm no submarine expert but playing SH4, I guess its pretty standard that you need those Range, AoB etc. etc. in order to hit a target, wonder how this works underwater.

Please enlighten this noob.

cdrsubron7
03-07-15, 08:43 PM
Was it possible for submarines to engage other submarines underwater in WW2 or earlier period?

I'm no submarine expert but playing SH4, I guess its pretty standard that you need those Range, AoB etc. etc. in order to hit a target, wonder how this works underwater.

Please enlighten this noob.

I know that that there are several instances where American subs sank both Japanese and German subs during the war. But these instances was where the enemy sub was on the surface and the American sub was submerged. I know of no instances where both subs where submerged, if that is what you are asking. :D

Torplexed
03-07-15, 08:47 PM
The sole instance of submerged vs. submerged, I can think of, was the British submarine HMS Venturer sinking the German U-Boat U-864 on February 9th 1945. Even then both submarines spotted each others periscope on occasion. The British captain was a bit of a mathematical genius and was able to calculate the U-Boats course in three dimensional terms and fire a successful salvo. To this date it remains the only instance in the history of naval warfare where one submarine intentionally sank another while both were submerged.

depthtok33l
03-07-15, 08:59 PM
The sole instance of submerged vs. submerged, I can think of, was the British submarine HMS Venturer sinking the German U-Boat U-864 on February 9th 1945. Even then both submarines spotted each others periscope on occasion. The British captain was a bit of a mathematical genius and was able to calculate the U-Boats course in three dimensional terms and fire a successful salvo. To this date it remains the only instance in the history of naval warfare where one submarine intentionally sank another while both were submerged.

Wow.

Torplexed
03-07-15, 09:03 PM
Here in an more in-depth (so to speak) article on the encounter. Cheers!

http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/worldwari1/p/venturer864.htm

Sailor Steve
03-07-15, 09:33 PM
Going into the war US doctrine was to fire at surface targets while submerged deep using sound only. That tactic never succeeded once. If they couldn't hit a surface ship...

thegrindre
03-07-15, 10:52 PM

Wow.

Me too, WOW!!!