PDA

View Full Version : CO2 Levels Question

kevinsue
02-25-15, 07:15 AM
When submerged, my CO2 levels seem to reach a dangerous concentration (10%) in about 4 to 5 hours. This is with silent running as well.

I thought that a Uboat could remain submerged for something like 24 to 36 hours before the CO2 level became an issue.

If this is the case, where can this value be adjusted to reflect a more realistic time interval for toxic CO2 levels?

Any advice would be appreciated....Regards Kev*

vdr1981
02-25-15, 07:30 AM
When submerged, my CO2 levels seem to reach a dangerous concentration (10%) in about 4 to 5 hours. This is with silent running as well.

I thought that a Uboat could remain submerged for something like 24 to 36 hours before the CO2 level became an issue.

If this is the case, where can this value be adjusted to reflect a more realistic time interval for toxic CO2 levels?

Any advice would be appreciated....Regards Kev*

You need to know that CO2 bar in SH5 is something like overall crew CO2 tolerance, and when bar reach 100% , the crew will die. I tested this once and it will happen after 30-40 hours been submerged IIRC...There is no crew fatigue simulated, because complex crew management, like seen in SH3 and SH4 is almost completely banned, tnx to ubi...

kevinsue
02-25-15, 06:59 PM
G'day Vecko,

I use the analogue gauge to the right of the helmsman. That gauge is graduated from 0 to 10%.

The CO2 bar on the UI does match this gauge. When the analogue gauge is in the max red at 10%, the UI bar shows about 10% as well.

The time interval at 30 to 40 hours before the UI CO2 indicates a lethal mix of 100% would probably be in the ballpark given the crew would be wearing portable CO2 scrubbers well before that stage.

This would indicate according to the gauges, that the crew will die only when breathing pure CO2.

I understand what you are saying about overall crew tolerance, but if the UI CO2 indicator is an actual gauge and not a "health" indicator bar, the CO2 levels are rising about 10 times faster than they should.

I know I'm probably being pedantic about this, but I try not to use the UI like a HUD wherever possible, preferring to have it hidden, and using voice control and information from the various analogue gauges to operate the Uboat. ("Realism" nut):D

Regards....Kev*

EDIT: Just rechecked the rate and the CO2 rises by 2% by volume per hour. The analogue gauge and the UI bar both read the same quantity so according to the indicators, the crew die only when breathing 100% pure CO2!( bit rough on the lungs when trying to get in a last cigarette:D)