PDA

View Full Version : Flawless torpedoes in 1939-40

Procyon1966
02-23-15, 05:56 PM
Hello all:
I'm curious.
Currently on my second combat patrol. I have yet to experience a dud torpedoe. Am I just lucky?
I'm running GWX with FM new interiors and other mods, but non that I think would effect torpedoes.
I'm happy that my torps are flawless, but I also know that's not historically accurate.
Happy Hunting!

GoldenRivet
02-23-15, 05:59 PM
realism settings?

do you have the "dud torpedoes" box checked?

CCIP
02-23-15, 06:01 PM
Also, are you using h.sie's .exe patches?

Procyon1966
02-23-15, 06:21 PM
I'm pretty sure I have dud torpedoes checked.
But I'll take a look.
I know h.sie's .exe patches are good from reading about them, but I didn't want to go too crazy modding the game.
Thanks.

Admiral Halsey
02-23-15, 06:28 PM
Sound like you might be getting lucky with them. I know i've had patrols early war where every torp worked and then suddenly the just stop working for 3 patrols in a row including one where I got so tired of the duds I just stopped using them and every ship was sunk by the deck gun.

Zosimus
02-24-15, 07:02 AM
Hello all:
I'm curious.
Currently on my second combat patrol. I have yet to experience a dud torpedoe. Am I just lucky?
I'm running GWX with FM new interiors and other mods, but non that I think would effect torpedoes.
I'm happy that my torps are flawless, but I also know that's not historically accurate.
Happy Hunting!

Which torpedoes are you using? The steam-powered T1s or the electric T2s?

Procyon1966
02-24-15, 11:20 AM
I've been using the T-1's
My tactic as of late is to line up a good 90 degree shot from 300 meters out. I always use manual targeting. Set the torpedoe at 4 or 5 meter depth, Medium speed, magnetic fuse. Works all the time.
I'll put one torpedoe in my target then surface and finish it off with the deck gun.:arrgh!:

Admiral Halsey
02-24-15, 11:31 AM
I've been using the T-1's
My tactic as of late is to line up a good 90 degree shot from 300 meters out. I always use manual targeting. Set the torpedoe at 4 or 5 meter depth, Medium speed, magnetic fuse. Works all the time.
I'll put one torpedoe in my target then surface and finish it off with the deck gun.:arrgh!:

300 meters? The things are supposed to only arm after 500 IIRC.

Procyon1966
02-24-15, 11:50 AM
I've read about a 300 meter arming range. I should correct myself and mention that I fire at a little over 300 meters due to the arming range.
I'll be hitting the ocean again tonight. I'll double check the sim settings to make sure I'm not cheating too badly. I think I'm running the sim at 75% realism. I like the cameras working. I also have auto firing enabled but still do the firing myself.

Not to put you folks at this web site on a guilt trip, but I'm neglecting my other hobbies due to this magnificent simulation.:rock:

sik1977
02-24-15, 03:52 PM
I've read about a 300 meter arming range. I should correct myself and mention that I fire at a little over 300 meters due to the arming range.
I'll be hitting the ocean again tonight. I'll double check the sim settings to make sure I'm not cheating too badly. I think I'm running the sim at 75% realism. I like the cameras working. I also have auto firing enabled but still do the firing myself.

Not to put you folks at this web site on a guilt trip, but I'm neglecting my other hobbies due to this magnificent simulation.:rock:

Yes, I think a torpedo has to 'run' for at least 300 meters before arming... that doesn't mean that a target which is at 350m and moving towards you will allow the torpedo to run the required distance before coming in contact with it... so safe distance is just under 500 meters in most cases to fire torpedoes... which also is good enough to not allow enemy to see your periscope in good/fair weather...

Edit: and I think magnetic fuses are hugely effected by sea conditions (wind speed), so at 0 wind speed, its pretty safe to fire magnetic fuses at 2km distance and use under the keel explosions... which lets you hit targets even at bad angles... impact triggers are safer in bad weather (though surprisingly I have had a few pre-detonate recently in bad sea conditions, which I didn't think was possible in SH3) but you need closer to 90 degrees angle to avoid ricochets. As the war goes on, the magnetic trigger duds seem to lower in %.

Nerazzurri
02-25-15, 06:05 AM
Yeah, I'm sure I've read in the Commanders Handbook and in SH3 documentation that the arming distance is 300m.