PDA

View Full Version : GFO and ISE don't like each other, I see

thegrindre
02-14-15, 04:23 PM
Hi all,
I thought I'd add a new environment to my sim (SH4 Gold) but I've run into a mismatch. Webster's GFO and Caustic's ISE v3 have issues.
Is there anything we can do about it? Is there a friendly solution?

Thanks,
:)

Moonlight
02-14-15, 05:16 PM
What exactly is the issue you're having with those mods, someone will answer your questions when you've explained it in detail. :up:

thegrindre
02-14-15, 05:26 PM
I thought it was common knowledge that the two don't work together and I was looking for a 'fix' if possible.

Everything is wrong! This is less then half of the issues.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=942&pictureid=8087

Moonlight
02-14-15, 05:56 PM
GFO and ISE work perfectly with each other.:up:

Yes, I just ran the game last night and played both ways (GFO activated first and Vis versa) and there were no real problems. They share more files than I thought they would so I'll have to look into those over the next couple days to see which order I would keep the mods in. I have to say that the ISE looks great so far, I just started a new campaign solely for this mod and I can't wait for the first storm ect. I know just how difficult it is to create a really good looking Environment mod for SH4 (or any of them for that matter) because there are so few.
Anyway, Great Job Caustic. I can't wait to get home tonight to see some more.
:up::up::up:
D40

thegrindre
02-14-15, 06:03 PM
Then why all the warnings??? :-?

merc4ulfate
02-14-15, 06:22 PM
That is not called an issue that is called one mod overwriting another mod in JSGME. There are plenty of mods that over write files from other mods. What you have to do is learn which order to put them in in order to get the most out of them. Any time one mod is going to overwrite a file from another mod it is going to give you the warning as a courtesy one so you can decide yes or no and two so you can read every single thing it changes.

What did you documentation say?

thegrindre
02-14-15, 07:03 PM
Well, it says don't use it with any other mod... so I won't. :salute:
I was just hopping for a fix of some kind.

Thanks.

Improved Stock Environment(ISE) v3
by Caustic and Traveller (Clouds v1.1)
-----------------------------------------
-New textures for in-game effects(Fog,Smoke,fire,Explosions,Debris, and Seafoam)
-Enhanced sky and cloud textures
-New water textures
-Added realistic moon texture with new shader
-Improved ship wakes with high resolution textures
-Reduced the amount of underwater impurities for cleaner visibility
-Increased the amount of debris from destroy ships
-Added realistic environmental and sub sounds
-Greatly reduced the stock lightshafts for a more realistic appearence
-The sky is now visible from underwater
-Replaced stock terrain textures
-Modified env color file to provide more realistic night environments
-Reduced the size of underwater seaplants

This version is for the stock game (SH4 v1.5), do not use with any other supermod or environmental mod

-Extract to Generic Mod Enabler folder
or C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific\Data

THEBERBSTER
02-14-15, 07:22 PM
Hi TG

Some mods are compatible others are not.

Webster's GFO is a super mod that changes many of the Stock settings and removes many of the bugs.

Caustic's ISE environment mod is comapatible with the two RFB and TMO interfaces.

Game difficulty order would be.

Stock
GFO
RFB
TMO

All Webster's mod come with very good instructions and it is important with any mods that you are contemplating to use to read the documentation first.

Caustic's ISE mod overwrites a large number of the GFO files and is unlikely to be compatible as you are finding out.

Environmental mods make a large number of changes to the files and would need a patch to work with GFO.

The more mods you use the more likely many will be over written.

When a mod is over written by another mod a part of the over written mod no longer works.

This does not become a problem until you have two mods that have to use the same file for both of them to work properly.

When the game requires the over written mods file to work it cannot so the game crashes.

When you are new to the game check out other mod lists that are being used, this will give you a feel for what popular mods are in constant use.

It is also a good idea when you have a mod problem to include your mod list with your post.

Peter

fitzcarraldo
02-14-15, 07:26 PM
No problems between GFO and ISE.

I have a GFO with RSRDC installation, plus OTC for 1.5 and ISe and all works fine.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

Webster
02-14-15, 07:56 PM
I thought it was common knowledge that the two don't work together and I was looking for a 'fix' if possible.

Everything is wrong! This is less then half of the issues.

http://allricksstuff.com/ForumPix/bad1.jpg

ok, first off don't panic, these conflict warnings are normal and they are minor nothings, its about as serious as getting a pop up ad lol, but it can be a shock when you first see lists like this, almost anytime you combine more then one mod there will be a conflict warning and the bigger the mod the longer the list will be.

let me break this down for you:

scene.dat file conflict is where you will lose the smaller rain portion of my mod (this cant be helped until I create an ISE mod patch for GFO)

umark.dds is where you will lose my easier to see sub location marker circle portion of my mod (this cant be helped and you may not care)

all the rest are wav files and just mean that ISE has a lot of its own sound files for the game and you can see how the ISE sounds are but if you don't like them better then add my "websters selected sounds mod to restore the ones I used) find it here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1203 and load it after ISE and over write the files or if you want a simplewr solution just open up the ISE mod and delete the "sound" folder found there and all those wav and ogg warnings will disappear.

don't be scared by seeing a long list of stuff like that, often mods have conflicts but it sdoesnt mean they cant be used together it just means there might be some changes made to one mod or the other and reading what the conflict is often tells you what that will be.

wav and ogg are sound files, dds or tga are image files like textures for things. the ones that might do something noticeable to the way things function or move in the game are when you get into dat, sim, or zon files as those control quite a bit of actions.

what else do you have that isn't a wav or ogg file? then I will explain the result of over writing it.

you can over write just about anything in GFO and it wont be a problem, it just deactivates or undoes a change or two I made so worst case one of the fixes may be removed by another mod, its not like you are having any CDT issues or anything.

thegrindre
02-14-15, 08:03 PM
Yup, that's the same conclusion I came to, Peter, so I've decided not to use the two together.

Hi TG

Some mods are compatible others are not.

Webster's GFO is a super mod that changes many of the Stock settings and removes many of the bugs.

Caustic's ISE environment mod is comapatible with the two RFB and TMO interfaces.

Game difficulty order would be.

Stock
GFO
RFB
TMO

All Webster's mod come with very good instructions and it is important with any mods that you are contemplating to use to read the documentation first.

Caustic's ISE mod overwrites a large number of the GFO files and is unlikely to be compatible as you are finding out.

Environmental mods make a large number of changes to the files and would need a patch to work with GFO.

The more mods you use the more likely many will be over written.

When a mod is over written by another mod a part of the over written mod no longer works.

This does not become a problem until you have two mods that have to use the same file for both of them to work properly.

When the game requires the over written mods file to work it cannot so the game crashes.

When you are new to the game check out other mod lists that are being used, this will give you a feel for what popular mods are in constant use.

It is also a good idea when you have a mod problem to include your mod list with your post.

Peter

Webster
02-14-15, 08:12 PM
Yup, that's the same conclusion I came to, Peter, so I've decided not to use the two together.

GFO and ISE work perfectly together just say yes overwrite the files and play the game.

there are almost no environmental files in GFO and I did that on purpose so you can use any environment mod you want with it.

ISE is different then other environmental mods in that it goes way farther then just dealing with the weather. it gets into all the game sounds and that's where all the conflicts are.

if you aren't going to use mods together because you get a conflict warning from jsgme then im sorry but you aren't going to be able to use mods then because they ALL will have "some" conflicts

thegrindre
02-14-15, 08:16 PM
@Webster,
Everything else is just .wav and .ogg files, Webster. I guess you altered all the sounds files, too. Huh?

Webster
02-14-15, 08:22 PM
@Webster,
Everything else is just .wav and .ogg files, Webster. I guess you altered all the sounds files, too. Huh?

yes, I included the sound mod I linked to above in the GFO mod so those are quite a large number of files, well over a hundred of them for sure but in truth I only changed about a third of the sounds in the game.

you would be shocked how many little sound files they have for everything and many have 3 versions of sounds for every sound such as speech has whisper or quiet tones then regular tones then excited or shouting tones of the same sound and each of those have like 10 different files of these and each of these 10 files tries to give a unique accent so each person has a different sounding voice. look inside the sound folder of your GFO mod and open "speech" to see these files.

some sounds sounded cartoonish or just wrong like breaking glass sounded like crunching plastic and other stuff with planes sounding like weed eaters instead of planes so I made corrections to fix a lot of stuff to sound more "real" like it should sound

thegrindre
02-14-15, 08:32 PM
OK, then why can't I just not install the, scene.dat and the, umark.dds files from the ISE package?
I'll mod a mod. :D
Can I get away with that?

THEBERBSTER
02-14-15, 08:32 PM
Great explanation Webster.

It is truly uplifting when a modder is prepared to post detailed information.

Peter

Webster
02-14-15, 08:35 PM
Great explanation Webster.

It is truly uplifting when a modder is prepared to post detailed information.

Peter

its what I would want someone to do for me so I try to do that for others, if we, who were taught by older members don't teach, share, pass on info, and offer to help those just starting out and trying to learn about all this, then who will

thegrindre
02-14-15, 08:45 PM
It's actually pretty hard to find those who want to and care now a days.
Everything is gimmee, gimmee, gimmee, mine, mine, mine.
I've been modding since the 90's and have always given away my 3D models and knowledge to those who want to learn.
I really appreciate people like Webster.

Thank you. :up:

Webster
02-14-15, 08:50 PM
OK, then why can't I just not install the, scene.dat and the, umark.dds files from the ISE package?
I'll mod a mod. :D
Can I get away with that?

the umark I would say yes delete that one, no problem, the sound file too, the scene dat might be more of a problem in what you might miss out on for the environmental changes so I suggest you try it first by over writing that file from my mod and see what the environment looks like and how it works, then uninstall ISE, move the scene dat from it to a temp file somewhere in your documents then reinstall iSE and see what the differences are.

to the best I can recall my GFO scene dat allows you to see torpedo slashes from twice the distance you can see then in the stock game and it reduces the size of rain drops.

I cant speak for what the scene dat does in ISE but since its an environmental mod im expecting it does a lot so when choosing things like this you keep the file that lets you lose the least improvements and in this case im sure the ISE would be the better file to keep.

what I think would do the best is to delete the sound folder and umark from ISE and over write my scene dat

if you know how to use the s3d editor, open my scene dat file to find the nodes for the rain and for splash distance and transfer those value changes I made to mine over to the ISE scene dat and you will have manually created a file that allows the changes from both mods to work together.

the game files have dozens of lines of nodes to control things and one mod changes one and another mod changes a different line but jsgme cant do the individual lines it can only move or replace the entire file so when two mods use edits for the same file the only solution is to manually combine then into a new file that has all the changes from both built into it. this is what I did for my GFO patch for real environments which was the env mod of the day when GFO was released.

I just don't have the time to mod much anymore lately so its been ages since I even opened any game files.

I keep hoping I might get back into it but there never seams to be time anymore.

thegrindre
02-14-15, 09:15 PM
I do understand. Although I'm not familiar with s3d. I googled it to find it's not free.
My only income is a little tiny SS check and I can't afford it.
I'll have to find another way... :wah:

:-?

Webster
02-14-15, 09:34 PM
I do understand. Although I'm not familiar with s3d. I googled it to find it's not free.
My only income is a little tiny SS check and I can't afford it.
I'll have to find another way... :wah:

:-?

yes it is free, least it was for years and years now just like jsgme

to download it look here: http://s3d.skwas.com/downloads.aspx

to read about it look here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119571

and while you are at that page to explain it, look over the video tutorials at the bottom of the post and copy the links so you can go back to them in case you forget something

thegrindre
02-14-15, 09:42 PM
OK, found it and installed it. :yeah:

thegrindre
02-15-15, 07:26 AM
@Webster,
Is the only thing you changed in the, scene.dat fie, the rain? I see that the rain drops are different in size between the two files.
There are other aspects such as clouds, fog, sun, moon, etc.
Only the rain?

Thank you.