PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling SH3 after a few years

notanameleft
01-31-15, 06:41 PM
Hi

I'm trying to reinstall SH3 - dusted off my DVD, patched and installed GWX. The reason I'm able to play again for the first time in years is because of a new pc

But I hope that isn't going to me my undoing - as it's now Windows 8.1 (64 bit)

I'm getting the protection system error when i launch the game. I've installed SH3 in d:\games folder so shouldnt be an issue with that. No starforce issues - I never had that on the DVD version I bought. And i've tried setting compatibility to Windows XP service pack 2 and 3.

Hope someone has the answer! :wah:

Aktungbby
01-31-15, 08:13 PM
notanameleft! After a six year silent run!:Kaleun_Salute:

Sailor Steve
01-31-15, 08:47 PM
I don't know about installing it on another drive completely. I don't know much anyway.

That said, I installed mine to the C drive but created a new folder just for that purpose. Inside it I made Games/Ubisoft and put it there. Same situation - new PC, Windows 8.1 - and it runs like a charm.

sublynx
02-01-15, 01:44 AM
Drive C might be worth a shot.

I've taken UAC off altogether, and I would recommend you would give that a thought as well.

Did you have vanilla SH3 working, before you attempted to add GWX?

Alfred Keitzer
02-01-15, 01:58 AM
Agree with above, I would turn UAC completely OFF -- hate that thing.

Also might try right-mouse clicking the SH3.exe file and select "Properties"; select the "Compatibility" tab; and ...

1. Check box "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)".

2. Also check the box "Run this program as an administrator"

3. and select OK.

Alfred Keitzer
02-01-15, 02:02 AM
You might also want or need a 4GB Patch.

notanameleft
02-01-15, 04:59 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions

i completely uninstalled and then installed in c:\ubisoft\sh3 (saw somewhere the full silenthunteriii had caused someone some problems) - disabled UAC completely, checked compatabilty for windows xp and ran as administrator

still get the protection system error. :wah::wah::wah::wah:

I guess the day may have come where SH3 will no longer run unless you keep your old pc :(

notanameleft
02-01-15, 05:39 AM
Update - I got it working (well, vanilla SH3 at least)

I found and followed Deputy's instructions (to the letter!) here http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//showthread.php?t=212966

Now will try GWX - hopefully it wont be upset that i've had to include a couple of extra steps beforehand

:yeah:

Jimbuna
02-01-15, 07:22 AM
My OS is W7 but I steer clear of C and x86 much preferring the D drive.

cherbert
02-02-15, 05:15 AM
I also came back to SH3 after a many years of messing about with SH5. I installed (among others) GWX, 4gb patch, FM_NewInterior, Ahnenerbe WideGui 1920x1080, M.E.P v5, Radio England and Thomsen's Sound Pack.

WoW!

Honestly, thanks mostly to M.E.P and Ahnenerbe's GUI and a few specific Nvidia tweaks it looks and plays amazing. I think it looks just as a good as SH5 but you are left feeling more comfortable in the knowledge you have a more robust simulation going on underneath.

As nice as SH5 looked I always had niggling doubts at the back of my mind about the capabilities underneath - I'm not an expert on it but I'm just going by the general criticisms it has had over the years. I have always been under the impression SH3 is far superior technically and always will be. But feel free for anyone to correct me.

Zosimus
02-02-15, 05:55 PM
I think that if you're looking for correction on that point, then you've come to the wrong thread. Most people here are devout fans of SH3.

Jeff-Groves
02-02-15, 06:01 PM
You don't need to disable UAC.
http://sumtips.com/2012/10/run-programs-without-uac-prompt-on-windows.html