PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8.1

Leandros
01-03-15, 06:38 PM
Hi, all - I finally bought a new laptop and before I start wasting time on installations, etc. I'd like to ask if there are any problems installing SH4 on it. It's got Windows 8.1 operative system and should have no performance problems.

Looking forward to any information if there is a supposed problem and, if so, any ways around it. The CD box does say Windows XP/Vista.

Fred

Hambone307
01-03-15, 06:45 PM
The only issue I had was with crashes to desktop, but my particular issue was fixed with running in compatibility mode. Won't know until you try to run it. :up:

pdiddy
01-03-15, 07:24 PM
Many hours running SH4 on Win 8.1 with no issues. Enjoy!

CapnScurvy
01-03-15, 07:56 PM
You might want to take a look at this sticked thread (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=150997) regarding installing on a Vista, and Win7 OS. It's not Win8.1, but its tips on installing the game for newer versions of Windows....newer than what's stated on the game box.

I would think installing the game into another folder other than the Programs x86 folder, would still apply. There's been a long time standing issue with games being installed into the "Programs" folder and not allowing game files to be changed, as would be the case using JSGME. I don't think it would hurt if you made your own C:/Games/UbiSoft folder....putting SH4 there.

If you have more than 3 gigs of memory, download the App Large Address Aware (http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/) to have the game use more than the default ceiling of 2 gigs of ram. This will force the game to use the extra memory your system has. The game being released in 2007, didn't expect most computers today to have more than 2 gigs of ram available. LAA opens the game to the additional memory.

Leandros
01-03-15, 08:16 PM
Thank you, guys - it seemingly installed correctly but offers (I cannot find it, anyway) no start-up exe file. When I try sto play it from the disc it says: "The game is already running on a different account."

I shall try a couple of the suggestions given here. Thank you again.

Fred

CapnScurvy
01-04-15, 12:00 AM
I'm no expert on Win8.1. I've got the game on two different computers, XP, and Vista. I would think Win8.1 offers some kind of Windows Explorer that can be used to open the Drives and Folders of the computer. Finding the "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific" folder will produce something like the following:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/SH4v10GameFolder_zpsc809f13c.jpg

If the view is set for "Icon's", your game's .exe file will be the one with the black sub and reading SH4 on the icon. Actually, there are two icons looking the same, but only one is the .exe file.

Leandros
01-04-15, 06:11 AM
Thank you, captain - I have the two symbols, one of which is only the graphics.

The other does not say ".exe" but calls itself "application".

I'll try to load some other old games to see how it reacts. Problem is I was intending to use the SH4 for a special purpose.

Fred

Leandros
01-04-15, 08:35 AM
OK, I downloaded the basic version of SHIII and that worked out ok without any modifications......starts nicely!

SH4 does not Place the start symbol on the desktop as did the SHIII and I find no ".exe" file anywhere.....

I installed SHIII in the "086" program folder as it recommended, or intended, to do. I've tried both with SH4.

Fred

P.S.:Looking in at the SHIII files I see that the ".exe"-file there is also called "application" like in the SH4 folder. Difference is SHIII starts by clicking it but SH4 does not.......

CapnScurvy
01-04-15, 08:48 AM
Which version of SH4 do you have?

The original CD version (v1.0) DID NOT have the U-Boat Missions. The latest CD version states it includes the U-Boat Missions....usually it's called the "Gold Edition", which puts the game to v1.5.

If you have seen the Black Sub icon in the "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific" game folder that states it's the "application"......that's the .exe file. Copy it as a Short Cut to your desktop, and double click it. It should start your SH4 game.

You say you've found the proper icon yet it doesn't start the game? Again, make sure the game is not placed in the directed "Programs x86" folder. Put it in another folder of your making under one of your main drives (C:/, or D:/). As I've suggested have it like this: C:/Games/UbiSoft/ (then the game folder) Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific.

Leandros
01-04-15, 09:08 AM
It seems I have found the problem. A new installation of SH4 shows to be an exact duplicate (in the sense of uploading) as that of the SHIII installation. Only difference is when I push the exe button I get the response: "The game is already running on a different account."

Would this be because it was first installed on my old machine....? Would there be any way of opening this bar...?

Anybody?

Fred

Leandros
01-04-15, 09:19 AM

The original CD version (v1.0) DID NOT have the U-Boat Missions. The latest CD version states it includes the U-Boat Missions....usually it's called the "Gold Edition", which puts the game to v1.5.

If you have seen the Black Sub icon in the "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific" game folder that states it's the "application"......that's the .exe file. Copy it as a Short Cut to your desktop, and double click it. It should start your SH4 game.

You say you've found the proper icon yet it doesn't start the game? Again, make sure the game is not placed in the directed "Programs x86" folder. Put it in another folder of your making under one of your main drives (C:/, or D:/). As I've suggested have it like this: C:/Games/UbiSoft/ (then the game folder) Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific.

Thank you for your efforts, Captain! Latest development is I had the exe icon moved to the desktop. When starting it responds: "The computer can't start because the "intro.dll" file is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this program."

Actually the intro.dll file is there in the same folder as the start symbol. This installation was made in "086" program folder.

Fred

Leandros
01-04-15, 09:20 AM
The version is 1.3.0

Fred

Portugeezer
01-04-15, 09:35 AM
Hey Leandros

I've just had the same issues after installing SH4 onto my new laptop which runs Win 8.1. I couldn't get the game to run at first then I checked the Task Manager which showed it was running. Then I got the same message that the game was running on another account. A quick skim of the forums here prompted me to try to run the compatibilty mode wizard which solved my problem.

First you need to go to the directory that you installed the game in my case C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific. I then right clicked on the SH4 application icon and from the options selected the Troubleshoot Compatibilty option and selected Windows Vista mode.

You can also select the properties tab and select Vista mode through that.
This allowed me to run the game. Hopefully this will help you to run yours.
Hope this makes sense.

Happy New Year and Good Luck!

Leandros
01-04-15, 11:03 AM
Hey Leandros

I've just had the same issues after installing SH4 onto my new laptop which runs Win 8.1. I couldn't get the game to run at first then I checked the Task Manager which showed it was running. Then I got the same message that the game was running on another account. A quick skim of the forums here prompted me to try to run the compatibilty mode wizard which solved my problem.

First you need to go to the directory that you installed the game in my case C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific. I then right clicked on the SH4 application icon and from the options selected the Troubleshoot Compatibilty option and selected Windows Vista mode.

You can also select the properties tab and select Vista mode through that.
This allowed me to run the game. Hopefully this will help you to run yours.
Hope this makes sense.

Happy New Year and Good Luck!
Thank you, P. I tried your suggestion but it still persists in lacking the "intro.dll" even if it is listed in the folder.

Fred

P.S.: Captain - I have tried your suggestion of storing under the C: drive to no avail. Maybe the "intro.dll" file is damaged....

CapnScurvy
01-04-15, 12:29 PM
So, let me get this straight. You have version 1.3 of SH4 on a DVD disc? It's not a download coming from Steam...right?

You have installed SH4 into your "Programs (x86)" folder? Although I don't think you should have done that......but, you may wish to look at this thread (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=209838&highlight=windows+8.1+installation), it has to do with installing SHIII onto a Win 8.1 computer.

The two things you should get out of reading this thread is:

1. If you have installed the game into the Programs (x86) folder, run the game as "Administrator".

2. Run the game in "Compatibility Mod" which forces the computer to run the game in an alternative OS, other than Win8.1.

Much like what Portugeezer so correctly stated........by right clicking the .exe file (I'm talking about the true .exe application found in the Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific folder....NOT the .exe "short cut" file on your desktop. You may need to make another "short cut" IF you make changes to the .exe file as noted) you will find the menu pages as described under the "Properties" tab.

Also, under the "General" tab of the "Properties" menu, of the games true .exe file, make sure the "Attributes" section DOES NOT have a checkmark in the "Read-Only" box. Having it checkmarked, you can't change a thing in the other tabs.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/sh4exe1_zpsedc76cbd.jpg

The main reason I asked about which version of the game you have is because version 1.0 (the first release) required you to have the DVD disc in the DVD Drive before it would start, due to the games protection from piracy features. Some time later, in a patched updated version (either 1.3, or 1.4), the requirement to have the DVD in the Drive was dropped. I just don't remember when the requirement was removed.

Leandros
01-04-15, 12:47 PM
Thank you, Captain - I have the game on an original CD/DVD-ROM. It does not ask for a CD in the drive and I have tried both. I do run it as administrator.

I have changed the compatibility mode to Vista but it Always returns to the "intro.dll" problem now. SHIII works fine without any tweeting at all.

My "intro.dll file" is 72 kb. large and called "application extension". It is placed in the SH4 main folder.

Fred

CapnScurvy
01-04-15, 01:20 PM
Fred, as you can see in the couple of images I've posted. The Intro.dll is indeed there in the mix. Why the computer is reporting it missing is very puzzling??!

You've probably already done this, have you tried to remove your installation and do a clean re install? There's a sticked thread to go through step by step how to remove all traces of SH4 found HERE (http://http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=133290). I don't know how you feel about getting into the Registry of the computer, but you may need to if you've re installed, yet have the same issue.

Speaking of installing, when using the install wizard, allow the game to load any of the DirectX 9 files it wants. Your computer probably has the latest DirectX 10 files, but allow the game to add whatever it wants. This has caused problems with starting the game with some folks, but I really doubt its your problem.

Again, I would not allow the game to be installed in the "Programs (x86)" folder. Put it into another folder other than the computers Programs folder.

Leandros
01-04-15, 01:38 PM
Thank you. Captain - I have reinstalled it umpteenth times after having uninstalled - also outside the 086 folder. I have let it install DirectX and the other programs as presented by the autorun installer.

Fred

CapnScurvy
01-04-15, 01:57 PM
Well, I'm out of possibilities.

I checked the size of the Intro.dll on my computer......72 kb just like yours. I hate to say this, but I haven't got anything else to suggest. I'll admit, version 1.3 is not my favorite. Version 1.4 (without the U-Boat Missions) is much better. As I said earlier, the latest version (1.5) is with the German side of play.....yet you would have to buy the "U-Boat Missions Addon" upgrade as an addition to your 1.3 game, or purchase the "Gold Edition" that has the complete updated version of the game.

One thing you could try that cost's you nothing. Go to the UbiSoft web site and download the v1.4 patch, or use the "Downloads" menu (at the top of this page), navigate to SH4/Game Patches, and download it there. Follow the instructions for installing it over your 1.3 game. Worth a try, since we aren't getting very far now. :D

Leandros
01-04-15, 02:55 PM
Glory, glory, halleluja - the 1.4 patch did it!

Thank you for all your help and time. I Think you deserve an explanation why I was so keen to get it going.

I am working on a book project and plan to use the mission editor to create pictures and scenarios to illustrate some of the actions in it - like I did with SHIII in my book on Operation Sea Lion.

Actually I bought my new laptop specifically for that purpose.

Tks again!

Fred

CapnScurvy
01-04-15, 07:07 PM
Great!!

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for yourself!!

I couldn't keep from helping you since I've got the same first name as your last name.....Leander! We "peep's" have to stick together :up:

Good Luck

Leandros
01-04-15, 09:10 PM
Great!!

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for yourself!!

I couldn't keep from helping you since I've got the same first name as your last name.....Leander! We "peep's" have to stick together :up:

Good Luck
I sure appreciate it! Almost finished my first mission, need to get to know the game. Less sophisticated than SHIII but I suppose there are a lot of improvements that can be done here as well.

Looking forward to start working with the mission editor.

It crashed after an hour or so but I made a new, somewhat different upload and after that it has worked nicely.

Fred

CapnScurvy
01-05-15, 12:20 PM
Now that you have the game running, you may wish to look at the Large Address Aware application that will differently help the game (cut back on the CTD's) with allowing it to use more memory, if available. I'm suspecting you have more than 2 gig's of ram memory with your new lap top. The game won't use more than 2 gig's of memory unless you have an app like LAA telling it to.

I have used a laptop with 6 gig's of memory playing a game called "Railroad's" by Sid Meier's. For no reason, never the same situation, the game would crash within about 10 to 20 minutes of time. After loading the LAA, not even the slightest glitch after hours of play. It really helps the older games that didn't expect average ram memory to grow so large in todays computer.

ReallyDedPoet
01-05-15, 12:32 PM
The game won't use more than 2 gig's of memory unless you have an app like LAA telling it to.

What is this CS?

CapnScurvy
01-05-15, 02:19 PM
I posted the Large Address Aware (http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/) site further back in this thread. The site reads:

This is an application that assists in making other applications/games Large Address Aware. When a 32-bit application/game (like SHIII or SH4) is large address aware, it can access up to 4 GiB on a x64 operating system. A 32 bit OS will have 3 gig's of total memory available.

64-bit versions of Windows require no modifications to the operating system to benefit from this application.

32-bit versions of Windows, you must increase the user memory setting by setting a "switch". Follow the instructions layed out in the LAA thread dependant on which OS you have. I'm guessing Win 8.1 would be the same as Win 7.

It is not advised to use this application if you have less than 3 GiB of RAM.

Neither SHIII, or SH4 were made to use more than 2 gigs of memory. Limitations within the .exe file keeps it from using additional memory....even if your computer has it available. With today's computers, average memory size has grown several times since 2007. The only restriction is getting the games .exe file to recognize the additional memory your computer may have.

The difference in game play is significant.

One thing you have to do with SH4 is open the "Properties" tab of the SH4 .exe file, then under the "General" tab make sure to remove any check marks for the "Attributes" section:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/sh4exe1_zpsedc76cbd.jpg

The game by default enables the Read-only parameter....not allowing for LAA to install its changes.

Just one more thing.

LAA comes in a compressed file. Extract it to a folder you make under the C:/ folder (I called the new folder "Large Address Aware"). :doh:

Don't just open the compressed file and try to work the magic within the compressed file. "Extract" it to this new folder....then, open LAA. If the procedure goes as expected, a "settings.sav" file is made within your newly created LAA folder.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/LAA1_zps1046534b.jpg

To make sure LAA has allowed the game to use more than its default RAM memory of 2 gigs....open the Large Address Aware app; go to "Mode", then "Advanced"...... you'll see the above window. The path of the "sh4.exe" is displayed, with the heading LAA having the "True" entry. This shows your game is prepared to use the extra memory your system has.

My 4 gig Vista OS 64 bit computer CTD when running the "Battle of Midway" Single Mission after about 20 minutes. Too many ships, explosions, planes I guess. Putting the LAA to work....making sure the LAA was loaded with the "True" entry.....no more CTD!!

ReallyDedPoet
01-05-15, 02:49 PM
Nice explanation, thanks CS :up:

Leandros
01-06-15, 10:07 AM
Now that you have the game running, you may wish to look at the Large Address Aware application that will differently help the game (cut back on the CTD's) with allowing it to use more memory, if available. I'm suspecting you have more than 2 gig's of ram memory with your new lap top. The game won't use more than 2 gig's of memory unless you have an app like LAA telling it to. Thank you, Leander!

I have 8 gig memory now so it ought to work out.

What I am striving at now is to get the SH4 mission editor started up. Found my old copy of the SHIII ME manual - they are supposedly similar. Still, there seems to be at least one principal difference. Working at it.

Fred

CapnScurvy
01-07-15, 09:59 AM
Here's a few posts that pertain to the Mission Editor.

Mission Editor User Guide by Dietrich (http://nordfront.org/xvii-downloads/sh3_missioneditor_v17.pdf) It's for SHIII, but still good for SH4 (sounds like you already have this).

From Webster (http://http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=158234&highlight=mission+editor)

SubSim has a whole page dedicated to "SH4 Mission Designers' Forum (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=222)"

Leandros
01-07-15, 03:11 PM
Here's a few posts that pertain to the Mission Editor.

Mission Editor User Guide by Dietrich (http://nordfront.org/xvii-downloads/sh3_missioneditor_v17.pdf) It's for SHIII, but still good for SH4 (sounds like you already have this).

From Webster (http://http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=158234&highlight=mission+editor)

SubSim has a whole page dedicated to "SH4 Mission Designers' Forum (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=222)"

Hi, Leander - I have the SHIII ME. But......here a posting I made at another thread: As I understand it the SHIII ME can be used for SH4, too. However, I find a difference in the loading up procedure of missions to the game. While SHIII operates with a folder/file structure where the folder/missions are separated into the various languages - SH4 does not.

SHIII has the folder/files organized like this: Data/SingleMissions/xxxxfolder/xxxxlanguage/xxxx.mis
SH4 goes like this: Data/SingleMissions/xxxxfolder/xxxx.mis

I have tried to load up missions in SH4 without the language folder but it's not getting through. It can be Another fault, the ME is quite finicky, but the difference must mean something.

Anybody?

Fred

eon2k
01-20-15, 11:41 PM
Slient Hunter 4 on Win 8.1 I don't have problems at all. runs smooth.

Leandros
01-21-15, 06:22 AM
Slient Hunter 4 on Win 8.1 I don't have problems at all. runs smooth.

I'm sure we are all happy for you....:).... I have also my problems sorted out now after some good help from the Community here.

Regds

Fred

merc4ulfate
01-21-15, 02:16 PM
I never understood the need for LAA. I have used SH on 32 and 63 bit OS and never had an issue.

pdiddy
02-07-15, 10:48 AM
I never understood the need for LAA. I have used SH on 32 and 63 bit OS and never had an issue.

I can vouch for LAA. On a new machine with 8gb of RAM, I almost never had CTD issues, but did have lag issues until using LAA. Smooth as silk now.

So depending on your system, maybe not essential, but could be helpful.

CapnScurvy
02-08-15, 12:09 PM

It's not so much which 32 or 64 bit OS you're using, but how much RAM memory your computer has AND, the amount of memory the game has access to. Not all memory your computer has is used by the game. The stock SH4 game is limited to using less than 2 gig's of memory, no matter how much memory your computer may have. This is ok as long as you don't use too many mods that don't pay attention to how much memory it takes to display things.

For instance, when mods don't pay attention to their created image memory size, the game becomes bogged down....using too much memory of the less than 2 gigs allowed by the game. How does the mods new images do that? By either making the mod image larger than the original (instead of having a stock 64x64 pixel size image, it's made into a 512x512 pixel size image) or, there are MipMaps added to the image when there's no need to have them added. These are just two ways a modded game will increase the need for more memory usage over a stock game. TMO, RFB, are notorious for adding memory hogging images to the stock game causing additional memory shortages.

Put a large convoy of ships, plane fly overs, explosions, into the mix and the game can literally come to a stop.

LAA forces the stock game to use more than the 2 gig's maximum memory, set as the "standard amount" in 2003 (the game engine for SH4 is the same as SHIII). The difference in which 32 or 64 bit OS systems used is in the amount of extra memory the game will have added once LAA is added. A 32 bit OS gains 1 additional gig of ram memory for the game. A 64 bit OS will use a total of 4 gigs of ram memory for the game. Either way, it's an improvement over the stock game usage of available ram......no matter how much ram memory your computer may have. Don't fool yourself in thinking that having a cutting edge 12 gigs of ram is going to keep the game running smoother than a computer having 3 gigs of ram. It won't. The limitation is in how much the game has access to, not the total amount of ram memory in your computer.

Lt commander lare
02-09-15, 04:39 AM
Hello I cant get sh4 to work on my machine upgraded my windows 7 computer to windows 8.1 and now sh4 wont work at all and it worked fine on this pc before the install and I have a labtop and sh4 works fine on that tried compatibility mode everything the game wont start and even installed it on c drive not in programs/86 and still wont start can anyone help get me back on patrol thanks.

Lt Cmdr Lare

Lt commander lare
02-09-15, 04:45 AM
And when I click the exe tab nothing happens at all totally frustrated.

Lt Cmdr Lare

Lt commander lare
02-09-15, 05:53 AM
Hi working fine now had display settings wrong didn't know it all good works fine on windows 8.1.

Lt Cmdr Lare

lasse9u
02-17-15, 06:10 AM
I bought Silent Hunter 3 from Steam, it was not so expensive, did not work on my OS, Windows 8.1 computer. makes the SH-4 it?
Do they work on DVD? Both SH-3 and SH-4th?
Would be very grateful for answers.

cdrsubron7
02-17-15, 09:55 AM
I bought Silent Hunter 3 from Steam, it was not so expensive, did not work on my OS, Windows 8.1 computer. makes the SH-4 it?
Do they work on DVD? Both SH-3 and SH-4th?
Would be very grateful for answers.

I can't speak for SH3, but SH4 should very well under 8.1. Listing your computer specs might help give us a better idea. :)

lasse9u
02-18-15, 05:39 PM
I can't speak for SH3, but SH4 should very well under 8.1. Listing your computer specs might help give us a better idea. :)

Thank You. I bought today a begangnad 'physically' DVD copies {cheap] SH 4th it works in Windows 8.1. will try to find similar SH-3.
Buy and download from Steam of these older games are not preferable.
To look for some good modds to the game here. SubSim seems to be the best, for it.
I thank you for your prompt reply.

Sailor Steve
02-18-15, 06:05 PM
I have a newer copy of SH3 (purchased in 2010) and it works fine with Win 8.1.

kenny11715
06-02-15, 11:35 PM
Hi working fine now had display settings wrong didn't know it all good works fine on windows 8.1.

Lt Cmdr Lare

Hi, just wondering what you changed with display settings (old; new). Was it simply a matter of changing the screen size/aspect ratio, or was it a more complex change? Were they SH4 Options Menu display settings, or settings in the Windows Control Panel?

For me, SH4 runs great in Windows 8.0, but after it auto-updated to Windows 8.1, SH4 crashes early and often in any 3D screen (that is, pretty much any screen except crew management or navigation), especially when fire is involved. I noticed in Device Manager that several of the display mode files had been rewritten during the 8.1 upgrade. No combination of anything yet on this thread resolved it (compatibility, read only, install location, etc), but my problem was fixed very nicely by reinstalling Windows 8.0. FWIW, the following link gives a solution for preventing the 8.0 to 8.1 automatic upgrade: http://www.askvg.com/how-to-stop-automatic-forced-upgrade-from-windows-8-to-windows-8-1/ just in case this may be helpful to others.

Maybe what you changed with your display would help my issue. As for the long run, I may opt to create a sandboxed Windows 7 virtual machine using VMware, that way I can get my workshop PC back up to the present without having older games break on some future auto update. It looks like SH4 runs a bit more reliably on Win7.

Thanks everybody for the many helpful thoughts.