PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter 3 Digital Download Graphics

mrmertz
12-23-14, 05:46 PM
Please move if in wrong forum.

Had Silent Hunter 3 boxed edition when it first came out, Starforce and everything. Ran it on old Windows Vista - graphics looked great.

Move ahead in years and the boxed edition would not install under Windows 7 under ANY circumstances no matter how many tools I tried. Sold it at a garage sale for $5.00.

Move further ahead and saw that indeed SH3 Digital Download off of Amazon for $2.50 can be made to run on with Windows 8.1 so for $2.50 thought since I got ripped once by UBI what's another $2.50. Wrong.

Downloadd great, came with the latest update 1.4b included, started it right up with no CD needed, etc. Looking good. Except when you get to the graphics. it looks like it is running on a Commodore 64. I've never seen so many jaggy lines in my life. Like life in the late 80's. No problem, I'll go in under options and set the resolution. No. there are NO resolutions to run SH3 at.

So my question is, trash it and get over wasting more money on this stupid SH3 that used to run like a charm visually - but under older OS's, or is there some settings somehweres I'm not aware of to bring this back to looking like my SH4 which looks like a picture on my Windows 8.1? Other than running it in a windowed mode that looks like a 4" x 4" box. The monitor I have has resolutions 2560x1440 on down.

Seemed like SH3 had options for running at different resolutions like SH4 has.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

yasti
12-23-14, 10:59 PM
Try one of the widescreen mods and force Antialiasing

mrmertz
12-23-14, 11:04 PM
thanks...I'll see if that helps.

BigWalleye
12-24-14, 07:27 AM
What you are experiencing is not a problem inherent to SH3. The graphics look good in 1024x768, and better in 1920x1080. The OE artwork is not as good-looking as SH5, because it was not intended to be displayed at anything higher than 1024x768. So "round" objects do have a segmented circumference. But, based on your description, you are either very demanding (Nothing wrong with that!) or your setup is not optimized.

You didn't specify your environment. You might want to check this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128517.

Merry Christmas!

Pisces
12-24-14, 08:07 PM
See if your graphics card chipset has settings which can scale the resolution of the game to your monitor. It should be kept to a 4:3 ratio. Drawback is that it will look a bit fuzzy.