PDA

View Full Version : Weather Bomb Hit UK!

STEED
12-10-14, 09:38 AM
How are you lot doing up North, are you still here?

BossMark got your local pub nailed down good and hard?

Lot of wind down here in the night nothing really to get worked up about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30407295

BossMark
12-10-14, 09:54 AM
How are you lot doing up North, are you still here?

BossMark got your local pub nailed down good and hard?

Lot of wind down here in the night nothing really to get worked up about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30407295

At the moment its not too bad here, but the dark clouds are looming in the distance..

STEED
12-10-14, 10:10 AM
Less wind today here but they are saying the wind will pick up in the next 48 hours.

STEED
12-10-14, 10:16 AM
Where's jim?

Don't tell me he's on the Cobra Committee. :hmmm:

Buddahaid
12-10-14, 12:42 PM
Hope everyone's OK. We're expecting the worst storm since 1982 coming in tonight here in northern California. My sister in law works for Novato Fire and said they are setting up disaster shelters as of yesterday. Could get six inches of rain.

Herr-Berbunch
12-10-14, 03:28 PM
Nothing here bar some wind, but not even enough of that to close the Humber Bridge to high-siders. I've just had a short sleeve shirt on all day.

And trousers, obviously. :o

Oberon
12-10-14, 03:36 PM
I must admit, I've never seen the swell chart at magicseaweed go into the black before.

However, it's not over yet, the South-west is going to get a battering before the week is out.

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_06_UTC/48_45.gif

Benelux looks like it's going to cop it the worst though on the current models, however fortunately it looks like the North Sea is going to behave itself so flooding risks are low, but the wind is going to be...somewhat lively.

Betonov
12-10-14, 04:08 PM
http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_06_UTC/48_45.gif

Something is wrong with this map :hmmm:
I'll buy a beer (when (if) we meet in person) to whoever finds the problem :O:

Betonov
12-10-14, 04:38 PM
The only thing I can see is the former country of Yugoslavia, rather than the individual states as now.:hmm2:

And its snowing again lol

I'll ring you up when I visit Scotland :up:

Not only Yugoslavia, even the Soviet Union is still there :hmmm:

Oberon
12-10-14, 05:24 PM
Well, it is German... :hmmm:

Jimbuna
12-11-14, 07:25 AM
The 'bomb' should hit the north east tonight.

STEED
12-11-14, 08:15 AM
The 'bomb' should hit the north east tonight.

Shouldn't you be in London chairing the 1:15pm Cobra committee meeting today? :hmmm:

STEED
12-11-14, 08:29 AM
Just checked the weather for my area we got a Yellow Alert for tonight. Looks like better get the bricks on all those dam recycling boxes tonight.

Jimbuna
12-11-14, 08:41 AM
Shouldn't you be in London chairing the 1:15pm Cobra committee meeting today? :hmmm:

Nah, but if they're serving Cobra Beer at the meeting I may change my mind and attend :03:

STEED
12-11-14, 08:48 AM
Nah, but if they're serving Cobra Beer at the meeting I may change my mind and attend :03:

The 3:45 meeting will have for the women..

http://www.i-d-s.com/images/uploads/10828.jpg

And for the men..

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/91405/4ae3fb3d3ca7e_91405n.jpg

Oberon
12-11-14, 08:50 AM
Just checked the weather for my area we got a Yellow Alert for tonight. Looks like better get the bricks on all those dam recycling boxes tonight.

Yeah...it's quite amusing really. The 'bomb' that was supposed to hit Scotland didn't really produce a 'bomb', just a very low pressure system, however this new storm that might be coming in tonight/tomorrow morning (its name is Billie, by the way) might actually 'bomb' as it passes over the south, which is going to make it possibly a quite lively night.
So yeah, brick time. :yep:

Of course, it's all still pretty theoretical, the combination of the jet stream and the turbulent weather condition that's looking that it might feed into it are making the models have headaches. Obviously as it gets closer the models firm up a little, but I doubt we'll know for sure until the 18:00Z simulation is run.

STEED
12-11-14, 08:50 AM
And if your late you only get this..

http://www.manydrinks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/tiger_beer_nrb_640ml.jpg

Jimbuna
12-11-14, 09:28 AM
LOL :)

Herr-Berbunch
12-11-14, 11:01 AM
Can I point out that in all my travels, it was pretty much only Tiger Beer that was cause of my nakedness and ensuing bother.

Best not post anymore pics of it just in case.

STEED
12-11-14, 12:00 PM
Can I point out that in all my travels, it was pretty much only Tiger Beer that was cause of my nakedness and ensuing bother.

Best not post anymore pics of it just in case.

Is that a threat to post naked pictures of yourself? :hmmm:

BossMark
12-11-14, 12:24 PM
Well its pissing down good and proper, and I got piss wet through and I only went to fish n bloody chip shop.

Oberon
12-11-14, 12:53 PM
Convective Outlook
VALID 06:00 UTC Thu 11 Dec 2014 - 05:59 UTC Fri 12 Dec 2014

ISSUED 18:55 UTC Wed 10 Dec 2014

ISSUED BY: Dan

Very broad upper trough will be situated north of the British Isles on Thursday, with a strong jet on its southern flank above Britain. A sharpening trough axis over the Atlantic will begin to pivot southeastwards across Scotland during the overnight hours, bringing an expected increase in lightning activity/coverage into Friday.

Cold mid-levels (-36 to -38C at 500mb) atop relatively warm SSTs will generate a couple hundred Jkg-1 CAPE, providing yet another day of scattered showers and a few thunderstorms. Again, areas most favoured will be exposed coasts to the strong west/northwesterly winds, with orographic forcing enhancing lightning potential as showers come onshore - hence the inclusion of a SLGT where lightning is more likely. Deep convection will become increasingly confined to northern Britain through the afternoon and evening as a developing frontal wave causes the flow to back farther south, temporarily introducing slightly warmer mid-levels and reducing the instability present. However, as this frontal wave tracks eastwards across England, Wales and Ireland during the evening and overnight, a sharpening upper trough axis will begin to slide southeastwards across Scotland, and by the end of the night towards Northern Ireland, bringing an increased risk of lightning activity as a renewed surge of cold mid-levels drifts southwards.

An ISOL threat level was also included for south Wales and southern England for the low potential for sporadic lightning along an active cold front, associated with a developing area of low pressure tracking eastwards across England and Wales on Thursday night. Strong DLS is likely to lead to some squall-like features, or a LEWP, with very strong, gusty winds, very heavy rain and perhaps some occasional lightning (although the depth of convection on this feature may inhibit this). Given favourable low-level shear, a tornado cannot be ruled out.

http://media.giphy.com/media/PQKcRp2OcABoY/giphy.gif

STEED
12-11-14, 01:57 PM
Just checked here again we're still on wind Yellow Alert.

Jimbuna
12-11-14, 02:00 PM
Wind and rain are getting a little stronger.

Betonov
12-11-14, 02:09 PM
Too bad I can't afford a UK trip right now, I really want to see if your ''weather bomb'' is worse than an average storm here :O:

Jimbuna
12-11-14, 02:39 PM
Too bad I can't afford a UK trip right now, I really want to see if your ''weather bomb'' is worse than an average storm here :O:

I doubt it Anze, we seldom get any weather to an 'extreme' here, although I'm sure there will be those who disagree.

Oberon
12-11-14, 02:43 PM
I doubt it Anze, we seldom get any weather to an 'extreme' here, although I'm sure there will be those who disagree.

I wouldn't be one of them.

We have the odd freak event here, but compared to other locations on the planet our weather is pretty tame. Our tornados rarely break F1, if they even get that high, our floods are relatively rare (and mostly caused by idiots building on flood plains), our heatwaves are very mild, and our 'hurricane' was actually just a very deep low pressure.

But for people used to small swings on the barometer, these storms can be quite surprising.

Betonov
12-11-14, 02:50 PM
Depends on where you live.

My area of the country is used to snow and I dare to go on the road in a blizzard, but a Slovene blizzard is a Canadian early spring storm.

Jimbuna
12-11-14, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't be one of them.

We have the odd freak event here, but compared to other locations on the planet our weather is pretty tame. Our tornados rarely break F1, if they even get that high, our floods are relatively rare (and mostly caused by idiots building on flood plains), our heatwaves are very mild, and our 'hurricane' was actually just a very deep low pressure.

But for people used to small swings on the barometer, these storms can be quite surprising.

Rgr that Jamie :yep:

Herr-Berbunch
12-11-14, 04:53 PM
And if the public didn't fall for it all the time all the red-top headline writers would be out of a job.

'Gosh, weather and bomb in the same word, I must buy this most excellent piece of journalistic art and see exactly what juxtaposed points of view the experts in the employ of that paper have to say on the matter.'

Or more likely, 'Phwoar, look at Jenni, 18, from Maldon, she's surround with artificial snow and has a Santa hat on!'

Aktungbby
12-11-14, 07:10 PM
* AT 151 PM PST MODERATE RAIN CONTINUED ACROSS THE AREA AND
CONTINUED TO PRODUCE MINOR FLOODING OF SMALL CREEKS AND STREAMS.
LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED CONTINUED MINOR ROADWAY FLOODING
CONCERNS. THESE WILL PERSIST THROUGH THE NEXT SEVERAL HOURS AS
WATERS SLOWLY RECEDE.

EXCESS RUNOFF FROM HEAVY RAINFALL IS EXPECTED TO CAUSE PONDING OF
WATER IN URBAN AREAS...HIGHWAYS...STREETS AND UNDERPASSES AS WELL AS
OTHER POOR DRAINAGE AREAS AND LOW LYING SPOTS. ALSO...SMALL CREEKS
AND STREAMS COULD FLOOD QUICKLY...POSSIBLY COVERING ROADS AND NEARBY
LOW AREAS.
Rain not abating; but storm not exactly living up to billing....as yet and we need the water: technically were in a drought! Do gotta call out the thermal window people for some remedial seal work on a small bath fenestration; water is blowing in thru the frame. I'll probably get a(3 windy bridges) call-out before the night is over like last night. Gotta love the newer Bosche blades on my wipers!:woot:

STEED
12-12-14, 10:48 AM
Windy last night but not as much as the first, looks like its over as my area is now on Black Alert.

Jimbuna
12-12-14, 11:01 AM
Windy last night but not as much as the first, looks like its over as my area is now on Black Alert.

You can let the animals out into the farmyard again then :)

STEED
12-12-14, 11:13 AM
You can let the animals out into the farmyard again then :)

They all got slaughtered for Sunday lunch. :03:

STEED
12-13-14, 10:24 AM
Looks like its all over, I'm going too order my T-Shirt from the Met Office.

I survived the weather bomb.

STEED
12-26-14, 07:02 AM
Are You Set For....

WEATHER BOMB II

The Big Freeze!

Boxing Day Snow As UK Slides Towards -15C

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/britain-braced-post-christmas-cold-snap-040039956.html

Jimbuna
12-26-14, 08:51 AM
So that was why frozen was aired on Sky Movies this morning :hmmm:

STEED
12-26-14, 09:39 AM
I just checked the weather here no minus what so ever!

In your face weather board. :O:

STEED
12-27-14, 09:11 AM
We got a heck more strong wind blasting around here last night, fences crashed, TV aerials dislodged and recycling boxes and lids scattered around the place. Forget Weather Bomb One this was worst. :o

Good news not one drop of snow and a warmish day as well. :)

Sailor Steve
12-27-14, 10:32 AM
Clear and sunny skies, snow still on the ground. Currently 19 / -7, expected to get up to freezing in the afternoon.

STEED
12-28-14, 06:34 AM
Is that winter in the air or just a passing cold spot? :hmmm:

Jimbuna
12-28-14, 08:40 AM
Is that winter in the air or just a passing cold spot? :hmmm:

Nope, Steve simply forgot to close his fridge door after extracting a bottle of Dr Pepper :)

STEED
12-29-14, 08:40 AM
Nope, Steve simply forgot to close his fridge door after extracting a bottle of Dr Pepper :)

:har:

I think this weather bomb two is nothing more than a early april fools by the met office. :arrgh!: