PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Liners! - or: Should I burn in hell?

Dr.KawleKawle
11-26-14, 06:37 PM
Dear Subsim,

I'm going to let you be my moral judge today. Yesterday, October 10, 1940, I sank a liner. The 35 000 GRT liner. From a hunting perspective, it was a blast. Got a hydrophone contact of a lone merchant, moving quite fast. A bearing plot, combined with hydrophone and visual observations, gave her speed as 16 knots. I could just race her down through the fog, and fired 2 torpedoes. The first struck the bow, the second between the funnels, causing her to split in half.

Of course, it is all a game. Call it a simulation. But I'm wondering. Do I deserve eternal damnation? Or should I get to eat cake with the Fuhrer himself (not that I'd like to...)? My arguments for sinking liners is:

Tonnage!
Tonnage flying a red ensign!
Come on, she's probably carrying - or going to carry - the chaps in green.

Whereas against sinking passenger liners one could have the arguments:

Women and children!
Ze tommies can now make propaganda that we hurt the above.
Not that I'm an expert, but how legal is sinking a passenger ship without warning anyway? Did it differ from sinking merchants? What was BdU's stance on it?

I know there probably have been discussions like these, but I'm really interested in hearing your opinions. As a side question, raise your hand if you have sunk the Queen Mary in campaign mode.

Doc.

Cybermat47
11-26-14, 07:01 PM
I think it all depends on if you think that the possibility of sinking a ship full of enemy soldiers is worth the risk of killing civilians. After all, the Laconia incident only happened because the U-boat captain thought that the Laconia was carrying troops, not civilians and POWs.

Also, I think that early in the war the Kriegsmarine had orders in place forbidding the sinking of liners of a certain size. I'm pretty sure any restrictions were lifted by 1942 at the latest.

As a side question, raise your hand if you have sunk the Queen Mary in campaign mode.

I think Trevally saw it once, and when he saw it's speed he just gave up :D