PDA

View Full Version : why are ports so bare?

avers
10-22-14, 07:40 PM
hey guys, in TMO with RSRDC (I believe its the same with RFB as well) many ports are so bare. What I mean is with RSRDC, some ports, such as Manila and Surabaya, always have only like, 5 merchant ships sitting in port and there are no warships! Even in bigger ports, like Pearl or Fremantle, there are more ships, but there all anchored and it makes the game a little bit boring if u start in port. Why does RSRDC do this?

Dread Knot
10-22-14, 08:33 PM
I'm no expert on game coding, but a lot of it comes down to the average processing power that was available to the computers of gamers when SH4 was released. The more 3-D objects in the game that the game has to render, the more difficult it becomes to do and the slower the game runs. Adding the thousands of light vessels found scurrying about in your average bustling seaport likely would have caused a crash or lock-up.

I'm sure processors and graphic cards have improved greatly since then, but considering the trade-offs--eye candy versus a smooth running game--I don't think anyone has felt that ports populated with lots of ships is worth it.

Armistead
10-22-14, 09:30 PM
hey guys, in TMO with RSRDC (I believe its the same with RFB as well) many ports are so bare. What I mean is with RSRDC, some ports, such as Manila and Surabaya, always have only like, 5 merchant ships sitting in port and there are no warships! Even in bigger ports, like Pearl or Fremantle, there are more ships, but there all anchored and it makes the game a little bit boring if u start in port. Why does RSRDC do this?

Are you talking of when the US had the bases, not seeing US warships? I don't believe there were any warships in Manila when the Japs attacked, cept an old sub tender that was too damaged to leave.

You won't see many at Sura either, but they're a few TF outside to fight the Jap invasion.

If you're talking when the Japs have it, then with RSRD usually warships spawn if possible in areas near ports or bays. Sometimes RSRD docks large TF at or near ports if they were historically there, then despawns and respawns the group for movement. However, more than not, most TF spawn at the correct time near the port. If you're too close, they will not spawn at that time. Numerous larger Jap ports do have large capital ships docked...

Dread Knot
10-23-14, 08:07 AM
Are you talking of when the US had the bases, not seeing US warships? I don't believe there were any warships in Manila when the Japs attacked, cept an old sub tender that was too damaged to leave.

Actually at the start of hostilities there were still stationed in Manila Bay, four Clemson class destroyers, five tenders (subs and seaplanes) six gunboats and five minesweepers, 27 submarines and a whole slew of tankers, PT Boats and cargo vessels. After a few weeks it was mostly just the submarines, PT boats and the one bombed-out, but still working sub tender Canopus.

avers
10-23-14, 02:31 PM

You won't see many at Sura either, but they're a few TF outside to fight the Jap invasion.

If you're talking when the Japs have it, then with RSRD usually warships spawn if possible in areas near ports or bays. Sometimes RSRD docks large TF at or near ports if they were historically there, then despawns and respawns the group for movement. However, more than not, most TF spawn at the correct time near the port. If you're too close, they will not spawn at that time. Numerous larger Jap ports do have large capital ships docked...

im talking about when the US has the bases and why does RSRDC make the ports (Manila and Sura) empty of warships?

TorpX
10-23-14, 10:28 PM
im talking about when the US has the bases and why does RSRDC make the ports (Manila and Sura) empty of warships?

I think it's largely a matter of it not being a high priority. Players aren't going to stalk and attack friendly ships, and many don't even start in port and just warp to a target-rich area.

A better question might be why would Ubisoft not include Japanese subs, that would have the ability to stalk and kill Allied vessels? This, to my way of thinking, is a big flaw.