PDA

View Full Version : SH5 speed setting...

Mspot
10-21-14, 10:59 AM
First, allow me to thank all who have posted -- that has answered a lot of my assumptions (questions). But I still have a few questions that if anyone here can answer I would be much obliged.

1) I can set my sub's depth manually to any depth I choose but am unable to manually select my speed -- 6-knots, 10-knots, et cetera. The new speed is called out but not realized, instead going to the nearest quick speed setting.
2) If we are hunting in Wolfpacks and I report a convoy, will other U-boats arrive if I shadow the convoy long enough?
3) I apparently need to up the realism settings in order to "enjoy" some of the grander aspects of this game. If I make those settings changes, when will they be realized? When I end my current patrol and ask to be assigned a new patrol? Or when I start a new campaign?
4) At what point in the campaign do items such as radar, snorkel, decoy, et cetera become available? Or are they already and I just don't know it? And, yes, I have clicked on the appropriate tab within the upgrades page when docked between patrols and seen the upgrades listed but not available.
5) I am currently in the month of September, 1941 in my campaign. I am currently operating in the Western Approaches off of Gibraltar. There is speculation that the Enigma coding machine has been cracked. I presume that makes my job of finding enemy shipping that much more difficult and that much easier for the enemy planes and shipping to find me? Or do I merely tell my radio man to use safe communications?

As an aside, I, too, as many others have experienced, get the random game crash after a period of time. Not always, but frequently enough that it has become an annoyance. Most recently, last night after I had splashed seven merchants over a period of several hours. Argh! Time for another beer. Anyone know what causes that? I am using a Lenovo ideapad Y410P with numerous upgrades -- graphics, sound, hard-drive, memory, et cetera -- and running on Windows 8.1, downloaded and installed via Steam (I hate the Uplay).

Many thanks.
P.S. What an awesome game. The graphics/visuals are quite amazing. And the game play as well.

Aktungbby
10-21-14, 11:13 AM
Mspot! :salute: I don't play on 8.1 so better help than I will arrive

THEBERBSTER
10-21-14, 06:06 PM
Hi Mspot welcome back

Individual speed settings are available by clicking on the advance toggle button at the bottom.

Hovering your mouse over the speed strip will show the speed where your mouse is.

Click to select it.

Snorkels can be used at any time in game play even though they were not used in the early part of the war.

So if you want a snorkel in 1939 then that is your choice.

Check out my tutorial post #6:salute:

Link to my SH5 – SH4 posts:

Step By Step Tutorials & How To Do It.:sunny:

Also Included Are Some Useful Download Links

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804)

You can use TDW’Generic File Patcher with STEAM see my Tutorial Post #125:yeah:

The Snorkel is the first tab.

You can make a manual saves also if you are worried about ctd's but it is not adviseable to do this if you are submerged.

Peter

Mspot
10-21-14, 10:37 PM
THEBERBSTER, thank you. I have clicked on the advanced tab; that is how I am able to select what depth I want. However, when doing the same for speed, it does not work -- it almost always accelerates beyond what I selected to the nearest quick speed setting.

As for the rest, okay, I will check out the tutorials.

Not advisable to manually save while submerged: why?

THEBERBSTER
10-22-14, 11:38 AM
That's a good question.

I cannot remember.

I am pretty sure it affects the teleporting.

I know from past posts that it messes with things.

I expect someone will pick up on this and give the correct reason why.

When you click on the knotmeter with your mouse you should be able to click your way along and set any speed between minimum and maximum.

Preset 1 will give you a speed between 1 and 2 knots.

The knotmeter will allow you to set a speed of 1 knot.

Mspot
10-22-14, 06:04 PM
I can't. Maybe there is something innocuously miniscule item I am overlooking but when I click the advanced button and the speed gauge shows I click the speed I want -- 1-knot, 6-knots, 11-knots, et cetera. The "new speed" is called out but the sub accelerates to the associated quick speed setting -- slow speed, half speed, et cetera -- that is nearest beyond the speed I set.

Also, unless I need to download a mod, or wait until it is available to my sub in the campaign, I cannot find the snorkel anywhere on my sub nor is it available for use. Once my sub is submerged beyond the sub's ability to breath the diesel engines the electric motors kick in and the speed slows accordingly and my battery consumption begins.

THEBERBSTER
10-23-14, 04:16 AM
Hi Mspot

Are you using mods with an interface in it?

If you can list your mods see tutorial post #9

The Snorkel is enabled from TDW's Options File Editor Viewer (OFEV)

Check out my tutorial post #6 how to enable the OFEV

If you enable Decks Awash in the OFEV you also need to enable the patch in TDW's Generic File Patcher (GFP)

As you use steam you will need to go to tutorial post #125.

The GFP sorts out a lot of the game bugs plus gives you the opportunity to enhance your game play.

If you can get the dvd version of SH5 then you will be better off than using steam.

The OFEV may also sort out your other problem as there are many settings that can be changed to enhance your game.

Step By Step Tutorials & How To Do It.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804)

Peter

Mspot
10-24-14, 11:54 AM
Thanks. Will do next time I have time.