PDA

View Full Version : RFB vs. TMO?

Napalm42
10-16-14, 01:11 AM
Hey everyone, brief question that I couldn't find asked previously.

Getting back into the swing of SH4 again, I've been playing with RFB and RSRD and have been enjoying my time so much more than with stock SH4. I just have a brief question regarding Real Fleet Boat and Trigger Maru.

Now, I know I can get the answer myself, but before I go destroying my finally balanced mod order, I figured I'd pose a question to the community at large. I find myself completely in love with RFB's damage model. It scratches an itch with the stock game I've had for a while with its "HP" based damage model. However, I like me some eye candy, in particular TMO's brand of eye candy.

What I'd like to know is: Does TMO's damage model follow the same basis of "flooding and negative buoyancy" or is the "modified" damage model TMO employs more like the stock one. Realism is important to me, so if RFB's model is a bit too lenient (as in many of my kills having been one shot to the engine room) I'd move to TMO for that reason. If you like, your personal experience/preference/etc. is greatly appreciated.

Threadfin
10-16-14, 12:25 PM
You're asking about sinking mechanics, and not the damage model for the player's sub, correct?

If so, TMO does not use the same sort of model as RFB. I love RFB's sinking mechanics. But by setting the hitpoints so high, the ships never explode or sink immediately. In TMO they go down very quickly on average.

I would love to see a universal mod that had the best of both worlds. The truth of the matter is that sometimes ships sink immediately, and sometimes take days. Sometimes one hit will sink a huge ship, and sometimes many torpedoes are needed to sink a modest ship.

Ships sink in so many ways, and it depends on so many factors. Hit location, damage done, internal compartment configuration, sea state, speed of the ship, damage control efforts, type of cargo and on and on.

I have yet to play a SH4 mod that I found to be completely satisfying from a sinking mechanics viewpoint.

merc4ulfate
10-16-14, 04:44 PM
I prefer RFB especially when adding ISP to it. It is far more enjoyable to have the ship sinking physics as real as possible and RFB and Webster mods try to make that happen.

Napalm42
10-17-14, 12:18 AM
I prefer RFB especially when adding ISP to it. It is far more enjoyable to have the ship sinking physics as real as possible and RFB and Webster mods try to make that happen.

Have to agree. As much as I like my crew in tanktops and the other changes to the UI, I'm not looking at them when I'm scanning the Nav map or staring out a periscope most of the time. While a nice damage model for my fleet boat is nice, I don't get hit quite often enough to capitalize on it.

Though, I will look into ISP now definitely. Merchants going from a stately 12 knots to a sudden 18 as soon as they notice my salvo still does throw off my initial targeting for a follow up pretty hard.

fitzcarraldo
10-17-14, 05:35 AM
You have the Longer Sinking Times Mod for TMO. ISP is great for RFB. And GFO make some modification to the times of sinking, too.

All the best.

Fitzcarraldo :salute: