PDA

View Full Version : Realism Mods and Maxoptics Advice please

skip
10-15-14, 09:24 AM
I've been slowly getting back into SH4 and basically want the following advice.

Ideally I want a game that looks as good as possible and isn't too difficult nor too easy but most importantly I want a game that when I play on manual TDC I want the ranges from my observations, sonar and radar to be as correct as mods will allow so that I can plot with reasonable accuracy.

I currently have the following Mods installed and want to know if these mods will serve all my requirements from the list above. I would also like to use the Maxoptics mod to make target id and stadimeter range easier from a greater distance, but I don't know if it is compatible with the OTC mod.

current mod list
TMO 2.5
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC for 16 to 9 Aspect Ratio RSRDCv502

If there are any other mods that anyone out there can advise me on that would serve my needs please mention them and a possible JSGME install order.

On reflection I am wondering if I am expecting too much accuracy from a large range ie 9000 yards or so. So out of curiosity from what sort of ranges should I expect to start receiving accurate data from my periscope, sonar and radar readings.

Many thanks

CapnScurvy
10-16-14, 09:35 AM
When I made MaxOptics, it was just for fun. Intended to be a fun thing to do....with little regard for realism or accuracy. Most gamers like to play the SH4 "simulation" as real as possible, MaxOptics does little toward that. The Binocular/Periscope views are magnified beyond what they would have been in real life. Yes, making it easier to view targets, but having no intent to be realistic or to have any accuracy when using the Periscopes Telemeter Divisions (the hash marks on the lens). Don't expect to read accurate range with the Telemeter Divisions.....it won't work.

OTC gives you the same magnification the real life periscopes/TBT/binoculars would have given you....with the accuracy of scale to allow the Telemeter Divisions to make an accurate range estimate. When using the Omnimeter tool along with the targets estimated height, and Telemeter readings, an estimated range can be easily gained.

...out of curiosity from what sort of ranges should I expect to start receiving accurate data from my periscope, sonar and radar readings

You should be cautioned to know that, as in real life, the further the distance between sub and target, the less accurate your estimates will be. Getting accurate ID's or other targeting information will only occur as the distance between them becomes shorter. Getting anything accurate at say 9000 yards distance, is just not likely. OTC will give you accurate information (much better than the stock game), but I'd only expect this accuracy at something less than 4000 yards distance.

A player shouldn't expect to have "nuts on", down to the yard, accuracy even with OTC. But, the tools are there to give you as reasonable a range estimate as possible.....as would have been expected by any sub Captain leaving port.

As a side note: When taking the reading yourself, the game's sonar is in fact "nuts on" accurate....down to the last yard. That's not realistic, but that's what it does. Be warned, pinging the target will bring attention to yourself, especially if there's a warship around.

The stock games radar was just "eye candy" until the scale was revised/corrected allowing for both range and bearing to be read. OTC does this, but with some estimated range leeway, being realistic as possible.

skip
10-16-14, 11:07 AM
Once again thanks for the advice CpnScurvy its very much appreciated.

I realise that the maxoptics would have increased the view range beyond what a real periscope would have allowed I just thought that it would make up for the lack of resolution that we are faced with playing on a monitor. However in saying that I would rather have the accuracy from your OTC mods than the increased view from the maxoptics.

Lol a few more questions if you have the time.

1. When searching for a contact what kind of range do the sonar and radar have.

2. What range can I roughly expect merchants and warships to see me on the surface.

Cheers m8 many thanks for all your help