PDA

View Full Version : having problems with merchant fleet mod 3.2

avers
10-04-14, 09:27 PM
hey guys, I installed merchant fleet mod 3.2, but whenever I start a career the game CTD's. I don't know why this is happening! There's no conflicts with other mods. PLEASE HELP!!!

specs: cpu: intel core i5 4670k graphics card: asus HD7770 ram: 1 hyperpower 8gb power supply: corsair cx 500

JSGME

Thompson's sound pack
GWX type viiic player sub
GWX merged campaign
Merchant fleet mod 3.2

ReallyDedPoet
10-04-14, 09:45 PM
What OS do you have, and is it 64bit? MFM is taxing on memory, sounds like you don't have the 4gig patch installed.

avers
10-04-14, 09:47 PM
Windows 7 64bit and I don't have the 4 gig patch installed I'll try that in the morning (it's 11 pm here and I'm tired).

ReallyDedPoet
10-05-14, 11:00 AM
That should do the trick :yep:

Gunnulf229
11-10-14, 03:19 AM
I'm having the same issue, but my machine is a x32 system. Am I just plain out of luck for trying to run the MFM? I feel pretty silly having 16GB of RAM and not being able to run MFM due to this.

Any insight would be much appreciated. The 4GB patch seems to be geared specifically for x64 systems. I'd love to be able to run this mod, but I'm not going to buy a new computer to do so (this machine I'm on now is pretty new).

ReallyDedPoet
11-10-14, 07:50 AM
Any insight would be much appreciated. The 4GB patch seems to be geared specifically for x64 systems. I'd love to be able to run this mod, but I'm not going to buy a new computer to do so (this machine I'm on now is pretty new).

Saw something regarding 32bit systems and the patch, I'll have a look :yep:

Have a look here: Here (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2253772&postcount=3817)

From that thread ^^^^

the 4-GB-Patch will run with 32 bit OS too (if you have 4 GB RAM)!. You just have to do a little additional work: you must increase your userva via bcdedit order.

avers
11-11-14, 07:00 PM
hey guys, seeing this thread appears to still be alive, I have another question. I don't entirely know how the MFM skin packs work. Could one of u tell me what they do? also is it ok for me to activate all of them at ounce?

ReallyDedPoet
11-11-14, 07:35 PM
hey guys, seeing this thread appears to still be alive, I have another question. I don't entirely know how the MFM skin packs work. Could one of u tell me what they do? also is it ok for me to activate all of them at ounce?

From the MFM Read-me:

Use the various skin packs to simulate changes in ships' appearance depending on what year you are playing. Ignore any messages about file conflicts. As time goes on, more ships will be camoflaged, and fewer will have civilian funnel markings, company names, etc.

Gunnulf229
11-19-14, 11:12 PM
Once I figured it all out I felt pretty silly. I was just not understanding that the patch was prompting me to choose which .exe file to run it on. Once IO realized I needed to run it on the SH3 exe file, it fixed it just as advertised and I am able to run the mod on my 32 bit OS. Very nice mod.

danasan
11-20-14, 03:57 AM
@ Gunnulf229: Please keep in mind that your 32 bit OS does not take much advantage of your 16 GB of RAM. Take a look at your task manager and see what is available / useable...

http://blogs.technet.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles/00-00-00-54-33-metablogapi/2577.clip_5F00_image002_5F00_thumb_5F00_5DAEBE92.j pg

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2013/05/03/finally-a-windows-task-manager-performance-tab-blog.aspx

Gunnulf229
11-20-14, 09:21 PM
Already looking into upgrading to 62bit shortly.

avers
11-29-14, 04:44 PM
Would there be any difference if I didn't activate any skin packs?

BigWalleye
11-29-14, 07:50 PM
Would there be any difference if I didn't activate any skin packs?

It can't hurt to try. If you do, please share your results.

avers
12-03-14, 06:08 PM
ok, if I were to start a career in 1939 what skin packs would I activate? and what skin packs do I activate as the war goes on?

BigWalleye
12-04-14, 03:27 PM
ok, if I were to start a career in 1939 what skin packs would I activate? and what skin packs do I activate as the war goes on?

MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19390901

Unless you were planning to start after October 31, 1939. Then you would also use MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19391101.

Activate all packs with an effective date before the date you start your patrol, none with a date later than your start date. Activate them in chronological order and let them all overwrite.

avers
12-05-14, 06:49 PM
Can I activate the skin packs during a patrol? Another question, when the year changes to 1940 do I need to deactivate the 1939 skin packs or do I activate the 1940 skin packs over the 1939 packs?

BigWalleye
12-06-14, 11:07 AM
Can I activate the skin packs during a patrol. Another question, when the year changes to 1940 do I need to deactivate the 1939 skin packs or do I activate the 1940 skin packs over the 1939 packs?

See my last post:

Activate all packs with an effective date before the date you start your patrol, none with a date later than your start date. Activate them in chronological order and let them all overwrite.

avers
12-06-14, 02:27 PM
Ok I think I'm starting to understand. One last question. Let's say I'm in port and it's October 19th, 1939 and my patrol starts on October 29th or 30th, should I avtivate the skin pack for November 1939 or not?

BigWalleye
12-06-14, 03:00 PM
Ok I think I'm starting to understand. One last question. Let's say I'm in port and it's October 19th, 1939 and my patrol starts on October 29th or 30th, should I avtivate the skin pack for November 1939 or not?

Should you activate the skin pack for November 1939 or not? Yes.:)

It's your call. The dates are all rough approximations. The skin packs are eye candy. (Delicious eye candy! Much love to IABL!)

avers
12-06-14, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the help, Bigwalleye:up:

Riccardo1975
12-10-14, 04:58 AM
It is a great mod but does anyone know to get the ship names in your patrol logs. Mine says MV Justine for say one vessel then just Medium Merchant for the next?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Riccardo U-111 4/2/1940 CG9591

Sailor Steve
12-10-14, 01:20 PM
You might try here (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=4022).
I can't play the MFM myself so I have to rely on the reports of others as to whether all the categories work, but most of the names are specifically for the MFM.

Riccardo1975
12-10-14, 02:49 PM
Thanks Steve! I read 19 pages on the MFM thread and got to the bit about ship names in sh3 commander or something. Its a trial but worth it! Great mod but I get 5 "medium merchant" to one "something else" now. Thought it would be a nightmare on a 4gb xp system but it works perfect.

Shipnames and radio messages left to fix.... :p

Rich

WOW!!? 12000 ship names? Download tomorrow. With torpedo damage fix and hopefully a mod that gives me bigger dials.

AND can you tell me how to activate your loading screens please? I followed your instructions(put them in random in sh3cmdr)but no dice? :confused:

avers
12-11-14, 04:32 PM
Thanks Steve! I read 19 pages on the MFM thread and got to the bit about ship names in sh3 commander or something. Its a trial but worth it! Great mod but I get 5 "medium merchant" to one "something else" now. Thought it would be a nightmare on a 4gb xp system but it works perfect.

Shipnames and radio messages left to fix.... :p

Rich

WOW!!? 12000 ship names? Download tomorrow. With torpedo damage fix and hopefully a mod that gives me bigger dials.

AND can you tell me how to activate your loading screens please? I followed your instructions(put them in random in sh3cmdr)but no dice? :confused:

I never did what u did, could u link me or tell me the post number where u found this solution?

Sailor Steve
12-11-14, 05:48 PM
Did you put the Random folder from the mod into the Random folder in Commander? You should put the Random folder from the mod directly into Commander and overwrite the other Random folder.

Is Commander properly installed? Is it properly linked to the SH3 install?

Did you start the game through Commander? It doesn't work if you start it with the SH3 icon.

Beyond that I'm not sure what the problem could be. :-?

Riccardo1975
12-12-14, 03:41 AM
Pants...

I didn't overwrite the old random folder...:wah:

Thanks Steve. Try again.

Worked out the ship names thing as well thanks to you and a load of posts by Frau Kaleun. The work you've done on that is brilliant. When I read that a ship I sank in a Biscay gale has a name, was carrying explosives and was lost with most or all hands I get a bit emotional.

Even when they're French. :haha:

Any way to make coal tenders say coal rather than wine or whatever it was last time. I havent sank an Ore Carrier yet to see. Sounds picky but making the immersion 100% is everything!

Rich

BigWalleye
12-12-14, 08:34 AM
Pants...

I didn't overwrite the old random folder...:wah:

Thanks Steve. Try again.

Worked out the ship names thing as well thanks to you and a load of posts by Frau Kaleun. The work you've done on that is brilliant. When I read that a ship I sank in a Biscay gale has a name, was carrying explosives and was lost with most or all hands I get a bit emotional.

Even when they're French. :haha:

Any way to make coal tenders say coal rather than wine or whatever it was last time. I havent sank an Ore Carrier yet to see. Sounds picky but making the immersion 100% is everything!

Rich

IMO, best is to take out the cargo and casualty information, which you would probably not know until nach dem Kreig anyway. The cargoes don't make sense and the casualties are TMI.

I use SH3Log, which hides the sinking data. I don't know for sure that the target sank unless I see or hear it go down. No cute little icon appears on the map 50 km from my current position. And I have to guess the tonnage and report it to BdU post-patrol to get the credit. And my report is compared to the actual (now hidden) log. If I sink an tramp steamer and claim 10,000, BdU says: "I don't think so, Herr Kaleun!" and I get no credit. The patrol report does tell me the ship's name, but not her cargo or how many virtual sailors got deleted. Very immersive.

Riccardo1975
12-12-14, 10:35 AM
SH3 Log sounds cool. If I ever figure out MFM ship names. I'll have a look!
Deleted Random in Sh3cmdr and replaced it with random from the loading screens unzip exactly as instructed. Just installed contact tails, das boot icons, an exhaust combi mod then reinstalled hsie and stieblers patches. Loadgame works perfect. The loading screen was the same.... Bummer.

Keep going Riccardo. :banghead: