PDA

View Full Version : I want to play a heavly modded SUBSIM campaign. Help me choose it.

Icewarp
09-30-14, 05:20 PM
Hi,

I am looking forward to play a heavily modded subsim campaign and currently I have many doubts as a seawolf "starter". I know there has been a lot of boring threads questioning if SH3, SH4 or SH5 is better or not and this is not what I am looking for.

I will spend a lot of my free time playing a campaign and why not use help from you guys to better understand under which game and mods I will be more happy considering what I am looking for?

So here it is:

-Play campaign from 1939 to 1945 as a german uboat
-I like to evolve subs and equipment
-I like to put lots of mods that are coherent, like new graphics, sound, historic flags and symbols, better campaign, AI, etc.
-Historically accurate information and situations
-I don't like a pure realism because I actually have to have time to work and do other stuff althought I appreciate adjustments from the community.

So basically, my doubts are:

-Which SH game should I choose under these conditions? 3,4 or 5?
-Which mods should I take?

I know there are a lot of sticker threads and so on but honestly I am not confortable with it. New gamers doesn't even have a clue on what exactly to apply to get a consistent experience, I must say I panicked when I downloaded the donators mod package for SH5, had lots of stuff without description and in JGSM I got the message like "be careful when mixing mods". How can I be careful if I don't have a clue on what files overwrite the other files and what happens? (did it break previous mods? which ones?)

I am thinking of going to the old SH3, but I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you.

WilhelmSchulz.
09-30-14, 08:58 PM
Hi,

So here it is:
-I like to put lots of mods that are coherent, like new graphics, sound, historic flags and symbols, better campaign, AI, etc.
-I don't like a pure realism because I actually have to have time to work and do other stuff althought I appreciate adjustments from the community. So basically, my doubts are:

Well if you want to play a U-Boat from 1939 all the way to 1945 that eliminates SHV. They end the game in 43. (one of 2 reasons I havent bought it)

Now SHIII and IV are highly moddable. Theres around 4 "supper mods" out for SHIII and 3 for IV and countless little mods for each game.

III is your primary U-Boat sim but I do belive there might be a mod somewhere that takes the Monsoon update in SHIV and transplants it into the Atlantic.

Now mod wise for SHIII I recomend GWX. Its an older one but is still running strong. NYGM (Not Your Grandmothers Mod) is also a good one. Both strive for historical accurecy and imersion.

Now if you decide on US fleet boats use RFB (Real Fleet Boat). Its prety much the SHIV equivulent of GWX.

I Hope this answered at least one of your questions. :up:

silverdragon41
10-01-14, 12:29 AM
Hi,

I am looking forward to play a heavily modded subsim campaign and currently I have many doubts as a seawolf "starter". I know there has been a lot of boring threads questioning if SH3, SH4 or SH5 is better or not and this is not what I am looking for.

I will spend a lot of my free time playing a campaign and why not use help from you guys to better understand under which game and mods I will be more happy considering what I am looking for?

So here it is:
-I don't like a pure realism because I actually have to have time to work and do other stuff althought I appreciate adjustments from the community.So basically, my doubts are:

I know there are a lot of sticker threads and so on but honestly I am not confortable with it. New gamers doesn't even have a clue on what exactly to apply to get a consistent experience, I must say I panicked when I downloaded the donators mod package for SH5, had lots of stuff without description and in JGSM I got the message like "be careful when mixing mods". How can I be careful if I don't have a clue on what files overwrite the other files and what happens? (did it break previous mods? which ones?)

I am thinking of going to the old SH3, but I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you.

SH5 is a good game once you get some mods in it. The open horizon mod extends the war to where you looking at and the mod called equipment upgrades moves the upgrades to the correct year. Have a look at this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804 He has a list of mods that are tested and run well and might do as you want.

Icewarp
10-04-14, 02:55 PM
Hi. Thanks for the replies!

I saw that SH5 also has a mod to extend the campaign, I will take a look on these links. Cheers.

Threadfin
10-11-14, 09:01 AM
My recommendation is Lurker's Operation Monsun mod for SH4. I am detailing some of the patrols in a OM career I am doing, and you can read that thread here to give you some insight in to how it plays.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215991

crazyfox
10-26-14, 08:11 AM
Ive played all 3, with megamods. All are good but SH5 i beyond the others in all aspects imo. Just get the wolves of steel mod.
If you want to play other sub models then those in 5 you need to go to the other two.