PDA

View Full Version : Just got SH5, stock game looks interesting

jscharpf
09-28-14, 08:59 AM
So I figured I can't go wrong with $9.99 for SH5. I bought it from Amazon, installed it, updated to 1.2.
So I'm on the stock game. Having played SH3 and SH4, I understand there will be lots of mods to choose from. I won't ask about that here, because I know I'll need to just search and read others opinions.
However, what I would like to ask is this. Does anyone here play the stock game (upgraded to 1.2). Right now I'm just exploring a new career. It definitely is a different interface from what I'm used to!
Is it possible to play the game like this or do I need to install one or more of the mods to avoid any major bugs?

So far it seems to run fine, but again, I'm just starting out, trying to figure out what I'm doing.. was supposed to sink the first 4 ships, and well, that didn't go too well.

Also what do I get with the gold edition?

Finally, do the mods change the background music or the crew voices? I like everything as it is so I hope not to change those two things when I add a mod.

Jeff

Gunsilnger
09-28-14, 10:21 AM
I played the stock game about halfway through and enjoyed it alot. I went right from SH2 to 5 so I of course thought it was a huge improvement, but as I learned later, there was much disappointment in what was left out after 3 and 4. Not to mention the bugs. I've only experienced the CO2 bug but I've read that there are others. That said, I'm now running mods and they've made it MUCH more enjoyable. I had planned to play it stock all the way through while learning how to use mods. This is the first game I've used mods on and I had lots to learn. Once I had a grasp on how to install and activate the mods I decided to just give it a go. I had a little trouble at first with putting stuff in the right place, but once a few of the members here explained some things I had it working. IMO it's not bad stock but I also didn't have the highest standards I would have had I come straight from SH4.
Hope that helps :D

jscharpf
09-28-14, 01:35 PM
Thanks Gunslinger, yes that helps a lot! I was comfortable adding mods to both SH3 and SH4, but those were typically big packages where I didn't have to think too much :)..
I will do more reading and researching. Perhaps I'll add small mods to fix any bugs, but the game, as it is right now, seems pretty cool!

THEBERBSTER
09-28-14, 01:54 PM
Check out my tutorials and get yourself a decent mod set up as stock is rubbish and full of bugs compared to what you can do and what is available mod wise for SH5.

You also need TDW's Generic File Patcher (tutorial post#2)

You also need TDW's Option File Editor Viewer (tutorial post#6)

Link to my SH5 – SH4 posts:

Step By Step Tutorials & How To Do It

Also Included Are Some Useful Download Links

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804)

You can use TDW’Generic File Patcher with STEAM see my Tutorial Post #125

jscharpf
09-28-14, 09:11 PM
Thanks Berbster! I will take a look at these!