PDA

View Full Version : Problem with stadimeter sensitivity

skip
09-26-14, 09:20 AM
Just started playing SH4 again after a long long break.

Anyways simple problem hopefully a simple fix.

When aligning the periscope for a range reading I find that the movement is far too sensitive and getting the line on the ships water line takes forever. Its driving me nuts.

Is there a setting to reduce the sensitivity or a mod which will help.

Threadfin
09-26-14, 12:00 PM
I wanted to know the same thing and asked about the pan speed in this thread http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215708 but no takers. For me, stock SH4 has the mouse pan speed too fast. You can alter your windows settings for the mouse but that's not the best solution.

However, in every mod for SH4 that I play, RFB, TMO and Operation Monsun, the mouse pan speed is just right. So I draw the conclusion there is a file that can be edited to slow it down.

You could install one of those mods and that should fix it for you. But short of that, I am unsure how to go about it aside from holding control while you adjust the stadimeter which may be the fix you need.

Pisces
09-26-14, 12:19 PM
Does holding the ctrl-key work when dragging the stadimeter view? iirc that reduced the periscope movement with the mouse.

skip
09-26-14, 02:43 PM
Lol after a spot of searching on the internet I found out that when using the stadimeter to find out a ships range you don't need to have the horizontal line in the periscope on the targets waterline, I tried this earlier and it works a treat.

So a simple solution indeed, look at your target with the periscope as per normal don't bother with lining up the horizontal line with the targets waterline just identify the target and take your stadimeter reading with the targets mast.

hope this helps out any of you out there that had issues with this.

Apologies to posters seems that I didn't make myself clear it wasn't lining up the actual mirror image on the targets mast that I had problems with, I had always been under the impression that to get a correct range reading the periscopes long horizontal marking had to be on the targets waterline when you attempted to match the mirror image to the targets mast.

Pisces
09-26-14, 02:46 PM
If you use the US stadimeter then yes, the line does not need to be on the waterline. Just make the mast top on one image touch the waterline of the other. But if you use a German sub then you don't have the 2 image stadimeter. So the reference line on the waterline is important again.

CapnScurvy
09-28-14, 10:17 AM
For the stock game, pressing the "Control" keyboard key while using either the keyboard "Arrow" keys, or the mouse "Capture" feature will slow down the movement of the camera view. Using the "Shift" key will speed it up.

Making an accurate stadimeter reading means having a good estimated given height for the particular target you've identified. Unfortunately, this isn't the case. Many targets mast heights are so far off, you'll miss the range estimate by as much as 40%....even within the close range of only 1000 yards. Case in point is the Jap carrier Hiryu. It's stock Mast Height used to be 20 meters tall (before changed by the 1.3 version patch). It's now 31 meters tall, yet to have an accurate range made by the stadimeter, the true mast height should be 37.5 meters tall. A huge difference in stadimeter range readings will result if the given mast height isn't accurate. With the Hiryu, a 6.5 meter height difference is huge. Not all mods are going to correct this either, TMO 2.0 for some reason has the Hiryu mast height back at the original 20 meter height!? Just get close, real close, and fire away....you should hit something with a 3 or 4 torpedo spread!

As you've already learned, the American Stadimeter does not need to have the horizontal scope line placed in a particular spot. Just make sure the vertical center line is placed somewhere on the target (preferably on the center....by using the "L" key, to Lock onto the center of the target) while taking the reading. When taking the Stadimeter reading both height and relative bearing are sent to the TDC. Having the vertical line centered on the target will provide accurate relative bearing when you "Send" the stadimeter height reading to the computer.