PDA

View Full Version : Target Damage Behavior

Wijbrandus
09-17-14, 02:18 PM
Ok, as best I can tell this is an undocumented feature of SH5. I'm looking for enlightenment.

When a merchant has received damage, there is a grey bar and a blue bar above the ship. I'm assuming these are some sort of hit points, and that the grey bar represents structural integrity, and the blue bar represents flotation (how much flooding has occurred).

If that is true, then when I torpedo a ship, why won't it sink by flooding? Why do I have to use more torpedoes to take away all of it's structure, and only then does it start to flood?

It's bad enough that the TDC is only semi-auto, and I am still learning how to score hits with my eels, but then putting three into a merchant and it sails onward is just demoralizing. And that's when I can even find a target to hit with a torpedo.

Also, is there any true advantage to getting under the keel shots, or should I just keep using impact hits at 3m below the surface?

Sigh. This is going to be a long war. I can tell already.

silverdragon41
09-18-14, 04:54 PM
The reason why it doesn't sink by flooding is because it not program that way by the developer. It only sinks once its hp is depleted. Which is only depleted by shots at it. There is a mod that fixes said issue and makes it where it can sink by flooding.

Wijbrandus
09-19-14, 07:49 AM
Do you recall what mod that might be?

silverdragon41
09-19-14, 12:44 PM
Yes its called the better and realistic floation 1.3: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1607

Wijbrandus
09-19-14, 01:31 PM
Ok, THANKS. That's going to be a big help. :up:

silverdragon41
09-19-14, 02:53 PM
You welcome. Its much better to be able to use just one torpedo to sink a merchant ship then waste three to do it. Thou that mod only effects ai ships. Your sub remains the same of hit points depleted. There is a mod for that to make your sub work the same as that mod does for ai ships. But that be up to you to decide if you wish for that. ;)