PDA

View Full Version : How do I hunt effectively for merchants?

Carda1972
08-29-14, 11:07 AM
Hello Subsim,

Today was my first 'mission' in the campaign so I'm still kinda new to SH5. I went to the patrol area and started hunting for some merchants (On surface -> Speed setting 4 -> Time to 512x). I guess this wasn't the best way, because at 10PM (22:00) I 'ran' into a small convoy of 4 merchants which my crew detected at 1900m distance :o, much too close to my opinion. Before I could turn they closed in to 1650m and I think they detected me, because I noticed they changed to that zig-zag pattern.

Now I was thinking: At the surface with this speed, the hydrophone doesn't help my crew find anything.

What is a good strategy to find merchants in SH5? I heard the hydrophone can hear traffic to 30km in distance but does SH5 render traffic this far from the sub so this feature can be used? Is the hydrophone controller guy really able to hear traffic at this distance AND REPORT THEM to me? Should I submerge to 20m each hour and do a full sweep myself instead?

What works best for you and for SH5?

Thank you so much, I'm really starting to love this game,
Carda

edit:

Upgraded hydrophone guy to level5 in listening and after one hour dived to 20m to do a manual sweep myself. Heard a contact at bearing 30degrees BUT the hydrophonist guy doesnt report the target... Not a single message like 'hydrophone contact at bearing 30 degrees'.... am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks again

adrians69
08-29-14, 12:51 PM
Welcome to Subsim!! :salute:

I usually dive to do a hydro check including baffles every 2 hours on the odd hour e.g. 1pm, 3pm etc. This is due to the navigator taking readings on the even hours (assuming you're using RealNav). You can often hear a contact before the hydro guy, but try turning the boat to put the target abeam of your position and go to all stop. A target on the hydro is best heard at 90 degrees to your boat and the sound will diminish the further from the abeam position the target gets. Don't forget the baffles area, which is around 350-10 degrees forward and 210-150 degrees aft where you will not be able to hear at all.

And yes up to 30km for a single target, or 80-100km for a large convoy.

Adrian

KirinFrost
08-29-14, 02:17 PM
Just wondering - do you have map contact update on?

For me, i just cruise towards certain hotspots that i know are convoy routes. One such route i think will be the one leading to aberdeen directly.

I can't be sure, but it seems like Grimsby is a busy place for convoys as well.

If i chose to use a hydrophone instead, i just dive and silence my sub every 6 hrs or so, travelling at half speed in the meantime to save fuel :P

icthird623
08-29-14, 04:12 PM
You might want to take a look at Trevally Auto Scripts. It will dive your boat, search using the hydrophones, change course 90 degrees, search again, surface and travel 2 hours and repeat the sequence for you. I realize it may be taking a short cut but it sure works well. :03:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=3098

Carda1972
08-30-14, 06:59 AM
Thank you all for the great advice. I'll def. look into the auto-script thing next.

Manual search every two hours (do a check myself on hydrophones) is working great and very rewarding. Seems the hydrophone guy is doing a better job with reporting when I select 'report closest target' instead of do the sweep.

Happy hunting,
Carda

ow by the way, how can I 'unlock' the chronometer and XO window? I wanne move em to some other position but they seem to be stuck (locked) at their position. Thanks again guys.

l2oss
09-02-14, 07:02 PM
As for the chronometer, you can put your mouse cursor a little to the left/right of the stopwatch plunger, and your mouse will turn into a box of expanding arrows which will allow you to move it. The only way I know to move the XO box is to press "L" to disable the message box so he goes into the bottom corner....

Actually, if you look in your TDW UI folder, /data/scripts/menu/TheDarkWraithUserOptions.py file there is an option to have a draggable XO box. Just do a case sensitive search for XO inside notepad or use the OptionsFileEditorViewer in the applications folder of the mod.

Pigboat39
09-02-14, 09:08 PM
It's really a question of patience. One of the things this game has taught me about WWII submarine crews is the fact that they had to deal with long periods of boredom. I make it a rule that I will never exceed about X128 speed in my patrol areas so that I won't be surprised by a contact. Diving and listening at a dead stop every 2-3 hours will eventually gain a contact. Be prepared to spend from 24 to 48 hours in an area. After that BdU will often assign you a new patrol area. Try to stay within about 150 KM from your assigned areas so that you may get credit for your kills. Even then there is no garauntee.

PS: Make sure that you attempt to sink the type of shps that your mission assignment is asking for. Otherwise you will gain tonnage, but no points towards the objectives. Tonnage will still gain you prestige points towards technology improvements and promotions however.