PDA

View Full Version : Great difficulty installing SH4

captmac44
07-27-14, 04:13 AM
Been looking through the forums and I've searched for info on this but the only really pertinent bit I've found says to not install in the default folder but to make your own folder on the C: drive. I did this and then restarted. The disc had patch 1.2 on it so I downloaded 1.3, installed and restarted. Downloaded 1.4, installed and restarted. I made a shortcut for the desktop but when I click it or when I click directly on the application in the downloaded file, absolutely nothing happens. When I plug in the DVD drive and click on the icon, it does go to the SH4 menu. I'm sure I'm missing something easy but I can't seem to figure it out. Suggestions?

in_vino_vomitus
07-27-14, 06:22 AM
I'm sorry i can't offer any advice, but you should give some details of your setup/operating system, which will help the people who do know about these things.

It probably wouldn't hurt to play around with the compatibility modes and enabling it to run as an administrator. [Any tech savvy people who get a laugh from this suggestion are welcome btw :) ]

Since my major failing is a lack of attention to detail, I would recommend going through the install procedure with a fine toothcomb to be sure you haven't missed anything fundamental - I usually do.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll get it up an running shortly and it will be worth the wait. Let me be the first to say Welcome aboard :)

cdrsubron7
07-27-14, 10:18 AM
Been looking through the forums and I've searched for info on this but the only really pertinent bit I've found says to not install in the default folder but to make your own folder on the C: drive. I did this and then restarted. The disc had patch 1.2 on it so I downloaded 1.3, installed and restarted. Downloaded 1.4, installed and restarted. I made a shortcut for the desktop but when I click it or when I click directly on the application in the downloaded file, absolutely nothing happens. When I plug in the DVD drive and click on the icon, it does go to the SH4 menu. I'm sure I'm missing something easy but I can't seem to figure it out. Suggestions?

I would suggest uninstalling the game and then reinstalling the game. The reason being is that you only need to install the 1.4 patch to the original game. The 1.4 patch contains all previous patches.

Another suggestion is to get the U-Boat expansion disk that brings the game up to 1.5. This is the latest version of the game and is what almost all of the mods made SH4 are geared to.

captgeo
07-27-14, 10:20 AM
get the Gold edition of SH4, my advice........wish I could save more players like you the $$$$ spent and give you this advice before purchased any other version

Eichhörnchen
08-18-14, 04:02 PM

You may find some useful info on the current thread "Windows 8.1 problems" c/o Shooter7.

Eichhörnchen
08-18-14, 04:11 PM

You may find some useful info on the current thread "Windows 8.1 problems" c/o Shooter7. He's having the same problems; what is your Operating System?

merc4ulfate
08-19-14, 02:29 PM
Why would you use a disc to run the game?

THEBERBSTER
08-19-14, 06:54 PM
Despite what the instructions say I would install something like C:\SH4 and not in the progam files x86.

This is a very easy installation to do and if you tick the box to run the game after the installation it will automatically do all the updating for you.

A new Gold Edition is no longer available on DVD although second hand DVD’s are extortionately priced if you can find one.

You can still download the Gold Edition.

The expansion pack can often be found on Ebay at a reasonable price.

I recently saw on Amazon the Gold Edition Dvd being advertised by various sellers which did not seem right as there were to many.

On making further enquiries from some sellers I found that they were selling the v1.4 Edition.

Someone from Canada had posted the picture of the Gold Edition which would have been a case of misrepresentation.

I am pleased to say it has since been removed.

Eichhörnchen
08-21-14, 03:31 AM
Not sure I understand the above but I assume you mean people selling DOWNLOADS on Amazon? My Gold Edition disc was sent to me from Canada (unexpectedly) so I presume that as a disc it's going to be version 1.5? 'scuse my ignorance on this...

THEBERBSTER
08-21-14, 11:00 AM
Hi Eichhornchen

Amazon sell the dvd through third parties.

Downloads are from the internet.

The Gold Edition is v1.5

Click the box to run the game at the end of the installation when it is offered to you and it will do all the necessary updating for you.

Peter

Eichhörnchen
08-22-14, 01:59 PM
Of course. Ta very much, my friend