PDA

View Full Version : Mods and sh4 expansion

hightower1
07-18-14, 01:21 PM
just bought this and realized about the u boat expansion. just wondering when it comes to mods does that matter whether i have the expansion or not?

Captain Dave
07-18-14, 03:14 PM
The Stock game is buggy and the Mods made to make it better may be hard to find.(V1.4). The expansion (V1.5) corrects a lot of bugs(some are hard coded and can't be fixed) and the mods produced in the past few years are geared to V1.5.

$10.00 or so for the expansion is worth it.

TorpX
07-19-14, 12:42 AM
Yes, it actually matters a lot.

As Cap'n Dave said, the v1.5 (U-boat missions) is much less buggy, AND most of the mods are made for it. Nobody is going to spend a lot of time making mods for obsolete versions.

I've never played the German side of SH4, but am still glad I got the v1.5 (Gold Edition); the early versions are almost unplayable.

scott613
07-19-14, 05:26 PM
Yeah - I'm just getting my feet wet again - and as an ex US Submariner - I didn't think I'd like the German perspective either - however - loaded up Operation Monsun and it's kind of a hoot as well... LOL - maybe it's my German heritage even though my relatives fought on the US side - I am a big fan of Das Boat...

Regards,
Scott

Armistead
07-19-14, 05:31 PM
I'll disagree a lil...

Yes, 1.5 is better and most mods are based on it, so yes, get it when you can, but 1.4 really isn't bugged like the previous versions and there were any mods made for it, so until you can get 1.5, load up TMO and RSRD for 1.4 and many other mods work with it. I played this way for a year, hardly a noticeable difference.

pabbi
07-19-14, 06:05 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=157853

Here is a link to 1.4 compatible mods.

TorpX
07-19-14, 09:27 PM
I'll disagree a lil...

I'm sure you're right. There was quite a bit made for v1.4.

TBH, I can't remember what version of SH4 I first got, v1.2 maybe?

I'm still glad I got the 'Gold Edition', though.