PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Twister

Captain Pippo
07-09-14, 08:41 AM
I'm just being curious here, what is the worst weather you guys had to deal with at sea?
I've only met big-ish waves that made observation a little challenging...
What about you?

Admiral Halsey
07-09-14, 09:51 AM
It depends on which mod you use and how it changes the environment settings really. Some mods don't change the stock environment while others do. However the worst weather you can get in game is a heavy rainstorm with the wind blowing at 15 meters a second.(Which is a fast as the wind can go.)

Captain Pippo
07-09-14, 12:35 PM
interesting facts, but I was more after personal stories...
Is that worst weather you mentioned is part of the stock game?

Admiral Halsey
07-09-14, 01:29 PM
interesting facts, but I was more after personal stories...
Is that worst weather you mentioned is part of the stock game?

Stock and mods. Also if you wanted personal stories you'd have been better off posting this in the general topics thread.

Captain Pippo
07-09-14, 03:02 PM
Thought I as posting under Silent Hunter 4, seemed general enough...
My bad, but thanks anyway.

Armistead
07-09-14, 05:19 PM
I think he misunderstood your question, seems game related to me, not about you weather at home...

Overall, the weather in stock and mods looks about the same, cept mods look much better graphically and change colors. The waves are about the same.

Only issue I don't like in game is you can't match wind to storms, so you can get 15 meter winds on a sunny blue day. Guess it can happen, but I wish we could attached the high wind value to storms only.

I don't play anymore, but for more realistic storms I adjusted the darkness and colors in env, added more intense weather sound files and increased waves. They're numerous ways to increase waves or how they look, from larger swells to more crashing waves. Only problem is, in high winds you're often put submerged and ships can become damaged, more so in port. That's fine in storms, cool to see convoys struggling in the waves, becoming damaged, smaller ships even sinking...

Don't play anymore, but this was about the largest wave, more of a swell that I used and didn't seem to destroy everything.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Armistead1424/SH4Img2004-02-19_231306_390.jpg

Captain Pippo
07-09-14, 08:01 PM
Got what I was talking about Armistead. I'm not a native english speaker so maybe that's why...
Pretty awesome pic!
Any recommendation as for a mod (only running v1.4, though)

Armistead
07-09-14, 09:10 PM
Got what I was talking about Armistead. I'm not a native english speaker so maybe that's why...
Pretty awesome pic!
Any recommendation as for a mod (only running v1.4, though)

Get TMO and RSRD for 1.4.

merc4ulfate
07-09-14, 11:23 PM
When I was at sea in the Navy I saw bright sunny skies with 20 foot swells. Rainging nights black as dark with a totally calm sea and the rain moving horizontal from the speed of the wind.

One night I was removed from my middle rack by a wave that caused me and the mat to come slipping off the rack and down to the deck ... I slept there for the rest of the night.

Storms are lovely at sea. They make all men equal.

One storm had us with 30 degree rolls port and starboard. We broke a lot of dishes that day. Sometimes when the screws would leave the water the entire boat shook from the propellers spinning in air.

We pulled into port one day after a storm and had boards ripped off the hull. Yes, it was a wooden hulled Mine Sweeper.

http://102msos.8m.net/mso443_atpanamacityfla.jpg

scott613
07-10-14, 07:17 AM
Hi Folks,

Hah - real world - we were at periscope depth in a storm - middle of the Pacific - lots of broaching - looking out the scope we had waves towering above the boat and hitting us broadside - each wave was like a freight train slamming into the side of the sail - we couldn't see more than 50 yards in any direction - round hulls aren't meant for waves - the "bug juice" machine in crews mess flipped out of its mounts and slammed into the opposite bulkhead without touching the deck... Luckily we were only there long enough to catch the broadcast... Back down at 150 feet - we were being gently rocked as if in a cradle - makes for some good sleeping... Fortunately - no real damage - HY100 is some really strong steel...

Regards,
Scott

ETR3(SS)
07-10-14, 07:41 AM
If you think round hulls are bad, a nice flat missile deck is worse. Got sucked up from 130 ft to the surface and shattered our radio buoy. It's all about the direction of seas.

scott613
07-10-14, 07:46 AM
"ETR" ? What year was that ? I was in 85-91 ET1/SS - we didn't have "R"... I'm assuming Radar ?

Regards,
Scott

merc4ulfate
07-10-14, 08:47 AM
ETR is Electronics Technician Radio.

scott613
07-10-14, 09:38 AM
Ahh - ok - thanks...
:)

Regards,
Scott

THEBERBSTER
07-10-14, 05:55 PM
A warm welcome ‘Captain Pippo ’ to the Subsim family.:subsim:

You will always find someone here to help you.:)

Link to my SH5 – SH4 posts::salute:

Step By Step Tutorials & How To Do It

Useful Download Links

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804)

Sailor Steve
07-10-14, 09:46 PM
Thought I as posting under Silent Hunter 4, seemed general enough...
My bad, but thanks anyway.
Not your bad at all. If you're asking for stories of things happening in the game, then this is the right place to post it.

TorpX
07-12-14, 02:58 AM
I'm just being curious here, what is the worst weather you guys had to deal with at sea?
I've only met big-ish waves that made observation a little challenging...
What about you?

If you want to experience more weather and waves, try these:

RFB_2.0 ...............................(Real Fleet Boat)
RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010
RSRDC_RFB_V575 .................(Run Silent Run Deep Campaign)
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Improved Ship Physics 1.1

The last one bumps up the waves quite a bit.

Captain Pippo
07-12-14, 05:31 PM
Thanks Berbster,
Will probably take me months to go through all of this, but already spotted useful stuff.
Thanks again buddy