PDA

View Full Version : Those career make (or break) choices :-)

vanjast
07-07-14, 03:05 PM
New Mods (widescreen and wheel) installed, New career and orf I go, NNW from Wilhelmshaven in U47 'nog al' - 2Sept1939.

War starts the next day - wasn't expecting that :D

Storm brewing at 60N (just west of Norway, western side of the deep trench) and a ship spotted.. change course and give chase.
Taking readings all the way - It has a red flag (British ??).. eventually get ahead and dive.
More readings - wheel/Parallel course all give me 4 knots - move in for the kill.
Ship course is direct south and still cannot make out the red flag... it's bugging me !!

Final approach - "Full speed Chief - I want to make sure".
Sometime later - "Slow speed.. Open tube 1, up Periscope".. and there she is...
That was close.. I was so ready to pop off a torpedo (nearly let one go outside visual range) ??
Surfaced.. waved at the ship and turned north again.. "A good exercise Number 1 ?"

http://www.ephotobay.com/image/germantramp.jpg (http://www.ephotobay.com/share/germantramp.html)

P_Funk
07-07-14, 05:57 PM
Ship identification is pretty important in the early years of the war, particularly in the first few days when not all of the commonwealth had DOW'd Germany. In particularly anywhere near Norway is liable to trip you up as Axis ships sail there frequently.

Its a shame the game isn't more forgiving though. Historical orders changed in time to things which cannot be represented. Things like at one point BDU gives a general order that all blackened ships sailing the British coast line are to be considered hostile. Now if you were to meet a ship that wasn't illuminated and was neutral, the game would punish you.

That said, there were times up til late 41 when general orders stated you were not to sink anything American in convoy, even if it was blackened at night and amongst enemy ships. A hard order to satisfy, but at least fitting with how the game measures neutrality kills.

I do enjoy the mystery though. Early war I've stalked and set up plenty of attacks only to find at the last moment that the target is neutral, or possibly neutral. With the MFM mod you also get ships sailing under false flags to confuse you. Makes for an even tougher choice knowing this is true.

Pistoliero
07-08-14, 12:57 AM
Maybe it is optical illusion, but flag looks like German merchant from here.
Deffinetely worth coming closer for inspection.

vanjast
07-08-14, 02:30 AM
Maybe it is optical illusion, but flag looks like German merchant from here....
It is...
Imagine what the BDU would think of me if I sank it - They probably give my boat to Prien ?? :D

banryu79
07-08-14, 03:44 AM
With the MFM mod you also get ships sailing under false flags to confuse you. Makes for an even tougher choice knowing this is true.
Sorry to bother you with my question but then... how could you discriminate if such a ship is a legit target? What do you have to check?

vanjast
07-08-14, 06:32 AM
I suppose you should have a prize crew to jump on board the ship and ruffle through the papers to determine it's true nationality.

But seeing SH3 cannot do that.. it cannot be a reality for this game...
Maybe there should an ID mark (small flag) that can only be seen closeup... but hey!
If ze ships don't vont to obey ze Kriegs Rulez .. Zey vil be zunk, Ja
:hmmm: