PDA

View Full Version : Family-run Restaurant is the opposite of gun-free

Feuer Frei!
07-01-14, 08:52 PM
Shooters Grill, Rifle, Colorado (irony much?), where 'packing heat' is quite ok:

The family-run, American-style diner features wait staff who exercise their open-carry rights and invites customers to do the same

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/10177930_678239782224455_4623201206060666123_n.jpg

SOURCE (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/06/30/god-guns-and-good-eats-shooters-grill-in-rifle-colorado-is-a-second-amendment-success-story/)

Oh and Jayson: you're a lucky bugger :D

Stealhead
07-01-14, 09:18 PM
Too bad it is not Mexican food I would name it Mexican Standoff.

Armistead
07-01-14, 09:39 PM
You should see our Waffle House in the morning..

Oberon
07-01-14, 10:08 PM
"When the chimes end, pick up your burger...try and eat it, Colonel....just try...."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mvLg6MQ39I

Stealhead
07-01-14, 11:33 PM
You see, in this world, there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who cook.You cook.

CaptainMattJ.
07-01-14, 11:44 PM
My only concern is if all that heat in one area is actually needed. Let's hope all those patrons know what they're doing should an emergency arise. Based on the average I.Q. of people i pass by everyday, i wouldn't count on all those strangers to handle crisis situations with a calm demeanor. Who knows how collected and how accurate these people would be should there be a shootout. God forbid innocent people die because a whole restaurant tries to be a hero at the same time and ends up missing or shooting the wrong people.

vanjast
07-02-14, 12:41 AM
Guns, like everything else, have their place... This sheer 'lunacy' on a 'restaurant scale' would keep me away from that restaurant.
:D

Feuer Frei!
07-02-14, 02:39 AM
and how accurate these people would be should there be a shootout.

http://matthershberger.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/pew-pew-pew.jpg

Jimbuna
07-02-14, 04:25 AM
Guns, like everything else, have their place... This sheer 'lunacy' on a 'restaurant scale' would keep me away from that restaurant.

You and me both.

MH
07-02-14, 04:49 AM
Seem like place to show off your gun.

Wolferz
07-02-14, 05:33 AM
There's a town in Tennessee where everybody packs heat.
Crime rate: ZERO.:D

NeonSamurai
07-02-14, 07:13 AM
I can think of countless small towns where nobody is packing heat and the crime rate is also zero.

Also do I really need to point out the irony of their "guns and Jesus" theme? But then this is hardly a new phenomenon.

Wolferz
07-02-14, 07:37 AM
I can think of countless small towns where nobody is packing heat and the crime rate is also zero.

Also do I really need to point out the irony of their "guns and Jesus" theme? But then this is hardly a new phenomenon.

Population: 3?:03::O:

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition

Betonov
07-02-14, 08:27 AM
I'd feel safe in such a restaurant
I'm white

Oberon
07-02-14, 09:55 AM
You can imagine what it'd be like in that restaurant if someone dropped a plate:

http://s1.postimg.org/ymru34wul/3039y4l.gif

Wolferz
07-02-14, 10:21 AM
You can imagine what it'd be like in that restaurant if someone dropped a plate:

http://s1.postimg.org/ymru34wul/3039y4l.gif

You might see a lot of hands slapping leather but, that would be about all.:D

Imagine the look on a robbers face if he walked in and demanded money.:huh::haha:

Tango589
07-02-14, 11:04 AM
Here's how I imagine it:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm260/tango589/welcome-to-texas.gif?t=1391884739

Sailor Steve
07-02-14, 11:08 AM
The state of Utah allows open carry. I see people wearing guns on their hips fairly regularly, and have no trouble with it at all. You call it 'lunacy'. I don't see it that way at all. I'd feel perfectly comfortable eating there.

Oberon
07-02-14, 02:36 PM
I guess it depends on how good a shot the people around you are, and if there's another around that the bullet is going to ricochet off.

August
07-02-14, 04:16 PM

Name some.

NeonSamurai
07-02-14, 08:40 PM
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2005-02-25/news/0502250235_1_towns-police-officer-major-crime
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Police-chief-of-a-town-with-no-violent-crime-3196038.php

and that was from a quick search of the internet.

None of those states have open carry laws

Most small towns in Canada have virtually no crime either, and their homicide rates per capita with firearms is over 7 times lower than here in the US. Canada has very strict gun control laws, where civilians are not permitted either concealed or open carry of any firearms.

Betonov
07-03-14, 01:14 AM
And there are also strict gun controls here and most of the country is also crime free. An odd domestic murder every 2 years and some burglaries (which never happen when owners are at home).

More guns never equall less crime.
Oposite is also true.

Gargamel
07-03-14, 01:54 AM
Thing is, a crime would never occur there. Nobody who is going to try to rob a place would ever go there. The point of a robbery is to get away with the loot. The need would never arise for anybody to use those guns.

Of course, you can't account for lunacy, and then open carry or no guns at all, there'd still be a madman running around.

Tribesman
07-03-14, 02:43 AM
Thing is, a crime would never occur there. Nobody who is going to try to rob a place would ever go there. The point of a robbery is to get away with the loot. The need would never arise for anybody to use those guns.

If that were true then no bank which had armed guards would ever be robbed.

Jimbuna
07-03-14, 05:25 AM
I'll stick with the gun laws here in the UK thanks.

August
07-03-14, 09:52 AM
None of those states have open carry laws.
That wasn't what you said orignally. Just because someone isn't carrying openly doesn't mean they ain't packing.

Admiral Halsey
07-03-14, 10:22 AM
If that were true then no bank which had armed guards would ever be robbed.

Has a bank with armed guards ever been robbed before though? If so were the guards incapacitated somehow or did they just not do their job?(Which if they're the mall cop type of armed guards I could see them panicking)

Platapus
07-03-14, 11:52 AM
My only concern is if all that heat in one area is actually needed. Let's hope all those patrons know what they're doing should an emergency arise. Based on the average I.Q. of people i pass by everyday, i wouldn't count on all those strangers to handle crisis situations with a calm demeanor. Who knows how collected and how accurate these people would be should there be a shootout. God forbid innocent people die because a whole restaurant tries to be a hero at the same time and ends up missing or shooting the wrong people.

That, to me, is the myth of the advantage of armed citizens. It works out if there is only one "good guy" and everyone else with a gun is a "bad guy". Makes target selection easy. Unfortunately, if more people are armed, it becomes harder to determine who the good and bad guy are.

Imagine that if some unknown number of baddies try to rob this place. A law-abiding armed citizen looks around and sees a human with a gun. This citizen has about 1/2 second to make, what is probably, the most important decision in their lives. Shoot or not shoot. Good guy with a gun or bad guy with a gun.

There are no save files to reload if I choose wrong. :nope:

No amount of time spend on a firing range can prepare a citizen for this type of decision. Police and military, even with training and practice, have difficulty making these decisions. Can we really expect Joe six-pack to be able to make these decisions?

I have spent far too much time at the firing range looking at bullet holes in overhead baffles or through the firing table to feel confident that the average armed citizen can be expected to be able to handle themselves in an actual firefight.

It is not like all the baddies will look a like (although I think some in this country may think so) nor do all the baddies stand at one end of the room and the good guys at the other.

Equally scary, there is a subset of gun owners, as demonstrated in some past legal cases, who seem to think that shooting is not a last resort, but much further up the decision chain. :nope:

I would not feel especially safe if I were in a place where the majority of citizens are armed. I simply do not have much confidence on the judgement of the average person.

My guns are to be used as the absolute last resort only to protect me and my family. I am not LE and it is not my job to take down baddies.

Tribesman
07-03-14, 01:49 PM
Has a bank with armed guards ever been robbed before though?
Are you serious?

Wolferz
07-03-14, 03:33 PM
I saw a cool door mat today that I might go buy...
It said; "Locked for your protection, not mine":yep:

CaptainMattJ.
07-03-14, 11:42 PM
That, to me, is the myth of the advantage of armed citizens. It works out if there is only one "good guy" and everyone else with a gun is a "bad guy". Makes target selection easy. Unfortunately, if more people are armed, it becomes harder to determine who the good and bad guy are.

Imagine that if some unknown number of baddies try to rob this place. A law-abiding armed citizen looks around and sees a human with a gun. This citizen has about 1/2 second to make, what is probably, the most important decision in their lives. Shoot or not shoot. Good guy with a gun or bad guy with a gun.

There are no save files to reload if I choose wrong. :nope:

No amount of time spend on a firing range can prepare a citizen for this type of decision. Police and military, even with training and practice, have difficulty making these decisions. Can we really expect Joe six-pack to be able to make these decisions?

I have spent far too much time at the firing range looking at bullet holes in overhead baffles or through the firing table to feel confident that the average armed citizen can be expected to be able to handle themselves in an actual firefight.

It is not like all the baddies will look a like (although I think some in this country may think so) nor do all the baddies stand at one end of the room and the good guys at the other.

Equally scary, there is a subset of gun owners, as demonstrated in some past legal cases, who seem to think that shooting is not a last resort, but much further up the decision chain. :nope:

I would not feel especially safe if I were in a place where the majority of citizens are armed. I simply do not have much confidence on the judgement of the average person.

My guns are to be used as the absolute last resort only to protect me and my family. I am not LE and it is not my job to take down baddies.
Precisely my point. And yes, that subset of gun owners are deeply troubling. They dont treat their guns with a fraction of the respect they deserve. It seems as though there are some "law abiding citizens" who are just itching to use their gun. But for me, there are few things scarier than the day anyone is ever forced to use a gun. Because by god, there better be absolutely no doubt in your mind that there is NO other alternative before you pull that trigger. There's a very real chance the person on the other end may never see another minute.

Reminds me of the movie Unforgiven. "It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. You take away all hes got, and all hes ever gonna have". Seems like that subset of gun owners (even some in police and military) dont fully appreciate just how incomprehensibly serious it is to shoot a man, and that is truly frightening.

Admiral Halsey
07-04-14, 12:02 AM
Are you serious?

A bit. I'm more or less talking about modern banks though and not ones from the old west.(Which I know got robbed even when they had armed guards.) Pretty much every bank where I live doesn't have any guards and as far as I know the ones that do make sure the guards know how to do their job.

Stealhead
07-04-14, 12:58 AM
Plenty of banks that had armed guards present in recent history have been robbed in the US and throughout the world.Robberies of armored cars is not uncommon either.

Here is a recent armored car robbery that occurred in Texas
http://www.khou.com/news/crime/Shots-fired-in-armored-car-heist-on-UH-campus--234755771.html

All one must do when facing an armed opponent is use violence of action. violence of action is the unrestricted use of speed, strength, surprise, and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy. It is the bread and butter of any successful combat unit.

As the SAS likes to say... who dares, wins.

CaptainMattJ.
07-04-14, 01:07 AM
A bit. I'm more or less talking about modern banks though and not ones from the old west.(Which I know got robbed even when they had armed guards.) Pretty much every bank where I live doesn't have any guards and as far as I know the ones that do make sure the guards know how to do their job.
After a 2 second search:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1262293/The-Termites-tunnel-Paris-bank-steal-millions-cash-jewellery-ingenious-heist.html

Admiral Halsey
07-04-14, 01:52 AM
Ok so they do rob armored cars(Which aren't banks.) As for the one you gave CaptainMattJ a few things jumped out. One is that they tunneled into the bank so as to try and avoid actually confronting the guards. Another is that there was only one guard on duty and once he was incapacitated then they were home free. One can assume that if there were more guards on duty that at least one of them could've called the cops.(Which honestly that's all they're really qualified to do anyways.) And yet another is they don't state whether the guard was armed or not.

Gargamel
07-05-14, 05:04 PM
Bank/armored car vs restaurant:

In a bank or armored car, there is a limited set of armed people. Those can be controlled with swift action to neutralize them. Any bystanders that may be a problem can also be dealt with promptly. The rest are just cattle to be keep calm. Which is usually a good idea for the bystanders.

In this diner, everybody in there carries. There is no way you could control the entire crowd quick enough without it spiraling out of control. Even if you brought a big enough crew to make suppression a successful possibility, the take from a diner is not big enough to make it worth splitting that many ways.

The intelligent criminal would avoid this diner.

The stupid ones though..... Well, even with my experience with junkies and meth addicts, even I doubt they would rob that place if they know what they are walking into. There are easier targets around the corner. Any junkie dumb enough to try to rob this place would not be a crack shot, so I doubt they would even hit anybody, and everybody that I know that open or conceal carries is a fairly good shot, they train often enough.

Its the crazy ones that would bother me. The ones who think they can gear up on stuff bought online (I can get a kevlar vest by friday if I wanted too, probably sooner with extra shipping. Hell I can get a full kevlar riot suit), and take the place down. The Hollywood shootout and the Batman Theater shootings come to mind.

Planning is what makes the difference between robbing a bank and this diner. Nobody would plan to rob this place and expect to get away without casualties, and a lot of them on both sides. The take from this robbery wouldn't even cover the costs of arming/armoring yourself enough to make it survivable. You don't plan to 'rob' this place, you plan to cause a huge shootout.

It's just a smaller version of MAD, the reason the US and USSR never went nuclear.