PDA

View Full Version : 12 Worse Presidents Inhumane

Armistead
06-30-14, 09:50 AM
See a friend trying to crank a debate up elsewhere on this book.

What are your opinions on the list?

http://hnn.us/article/156038

Admiral Halsey
06-30-14, 10:39 AM
I take a fair bit of issue with the stuff against Truman. Especially the Atomic Bomb stuff. Would they have rather had him invade the Home Islands and killed even more Japanese? As for the testing how is that inhumane? You have a new weapon what do you do with it? Why you test it! Now i'll admit that they could've tried to do more underground testing but unlike today actually blowing the bombs up was the only way to really test if they would work as designed. As for the Cold War would they have rather it gone hot? Once WW2 ended the only time period that we could've had a chance against the Soviet's without destroying the world was from the day WW2 ended to the moment thet got the Bomb.

Armistead
06-30-14, 11:02 AM
The biggest failure I see is blaming or accusing presidents for not involving themselves in civil wars that led to genocide, when had they, then it would be another war of mass killing the enemy in which they would also be blamed inhumane for.

To see FDR on that list for his so called inhumane crimes against Japan are rather appalling.

Dread Knot
06-30-14, 11:13 AM
I take a fair bit of issue with the stuff against Truman. Especially the Atomic Bomb stuff. Would they have rather had him invade the Home Islands and killed even more Japanese? As for the testing how is that inhumane? You have a new weapon what do you do with it? Why you test it! Now i'll admit that they could've tried to do more underground testing but unlike today actually blowing the bombs up was the only way to really test if they would work as designed. As for the Cold War would they have rather it gone hot? Once WW2 ended the only time period that we could've had a chance against the Soviet's without destroying the world was from the day WW2 ended to the moment thet got the Bomb.

I also find it interesting that the author of the list cites the use of napalm in the Korean War as a point against Truman. During FDR's watch napalm wasn't just something "under development". It was used as a tactical weapon against Japanese bunkers, pillboxes and tunnels, and other fortifications, especially on Saipan, Iwo Jima, the Philippines, and Okinawa, where deeply dug-in Japanese troops refused to surrender. It was also used as an incendiary in Europe.

Jimbuna
06-30-14, 12:14 PM
Always thought Reagan helped bring about the demise of the eastern bloc.

Admiral Halsey
06-30-14, 12:18 PM
The biggest failure I see is blaming or accusing presidents for not involving themselves in civil wars that led to genocide, when had they, then it would be another war of mass killing the enemy in which they would also be blamed inhumane for.

This is the major fault of this list. The presidents are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't if you go by the rules of this list.

Wolferz
06-30-14, 12:49 PM
Did the author take into account that all of those presidents had a congress to answer to? A congress that could have taken action to prevent all of the atrocities mentioned. Then you have to take into account the national mood at the time. Such as, just prior to WW II, we were in a stance of isolationism and didn't want to get involved in any foreign wars.

What I find really odd is that the United States has been involved in one war after another ever since the revolutionary war and the founding of the republic.
What up with that BS?:hmmm::stare:

Sailor Steve
06-30-14, 01:11 PM
I will not thank you, Armistead, for posting that link. One particular piece jumped off the page at me, and I had to register and post there. The piece was praise for Jefferson for ending the slave trade. I had to point out that as much as I love and respect Jefferson, his "ending" the importation of slaves was nothing more than luck-of-the-draw. The Constitution stipulated that the slave trade would end in 1808. Jefferson just happened to be president at the time.

Armistead
06-30-14, 02:28 PM
Great point Steve!

You really have to wonder about the sincerity of the author regarding this list, seems more ideals got in the way of facts. We could easily make Lincoln guilty of war crimes against the civilians of the South as he FDR against the civilians of Japan, yet he has Lincoln as one of the best....He also fails to mention had Lincoln had his way he would've shipped free slaves to Central America for colonization.

Wolferz
06-30-14, 04:04 PM
Great point Steve!

You really have to wonder about the sincerity of the author regarding this list, seems more ideals got in the way of facts. We could easily make Lincoln guilty of war crimes against the civilians of the South as he FDR against the civilians of Japan, yet he has Lincoln as one of the best....He also fails to mention had Lincoln had his way he would've shipped free slaves to Central America for colonization.

Lincoln did have a program to repatriate freed slaves back to Africa and pretty much founded Liberia. Until they figured out that it would break the government doing this for all of them. When it was discovered that Liberia had lots of gold, the meddling began with destabilization to ensure maximum exploitation of their resources.:-?

Lincoln wasn't a great president in my eyes. Just the first in a long line of Republican criminals.:down: