PDA

View Full Version : The price of a degree these days...

Wolferz
06-28-14, 08:49 AM
And what the university does with all the money...
Soliciting donations from the alumni...

One grads response...
http://bluenationreview.com/angry-graduate-sends-letter-when-school-begs-for-money/
:haha::up:

vienna
06-28-14, 12:29 PM
I hope this guy runs for public office; I'd vote for him...

<O>

Catfish
06-28-14, 12:30 PM
This is not brilliant or whatever, but the fn truth.
Well written
:up:

Wolferz
06-28-14, 01:17 PM
This is not brilliant or whatever, but the fn truth.
Well written
:up:

I wonder what Muffy thought when she read that E-mail. :haha:

It's almost as good as a reply from a land owner here, to the Pennsylvania bureau of land management. They accused him of building a dam to divert a creek and demanded that he remove it or face prosecution. He went on and on about a bunch of dam beavers that built the dam and there wasn't a dam thing he could do about it because Beavers are a protected species in Pennsylvania.

Schroeder
06-28-14, 02:43 PM
I'm just glad that education is relatively inexpensive here. I just had to pay some 640€ per semester and I believe that the 500€ fee that was included in the 640 has been dropped now. Charging horrendous amounts of money for education is in my opinion the best way to keep a lot of smart people from getting degrees and by that weakening ones own economy big time.

And yes, my degree didn't pay off at all too. Been unemployed for over a year now.:/\\!!

nikimcbee
06-28-14, 03:54 PM
Around $4
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/94/00/20/0007940020570_500X500.jpg

CaptainMattJ.
06-28-14, 04:17 PM
Every time i come back to the realization that 18 year olds, fresh out of high school, are being charged almost as much money as the national average income just to attend a garbage institution for one year, i die a little inside.

But of course, only crazy people and lefty loons would dare get outraged by the fact that our military literally hemorrhages money on stupid, unnecessary, over-the-top gadgets, waging trillion dollar wars with interest adding up to nearly $6 trillion, all of which is going to end up being payed off by YOUNG PEOPLE. Meanwhile, 80 year old men in washington still love to believe that its 1960 and kids can just walk right into a restaurant with a help wanted sign and get hired making enough money to live on their own AND go to college. I mean, its not like it takes a young person to understand just how grotesque the system is today. But they choose to ignore it. They choose to believe that we spend enough money on education already, that only lazy poor people wouldnt be able to make it through college. When i signed up to go to cal poly pomona, i had to pay about $500 out of pocket for all kinds of stupid, insignificant fees just to sign up for classes and get admitted. It was actually really hard to pay so much money out of pocket because my family already barely made it paycheck to paycheck. My first college of choice, the university of arizona, was literally $41,000 for one year, completely unaffordable. I applied for all the scholarships and grants i could find and i got absolutely nothing. Had i gone, i would have racked up $165,000 easily in student loans by the time i was finished. That is pure, unadulterated extortion in the ugliest sense.

And when i searched for jobs when i was still in high school, i must've applied to 30 different places and didnt even get so much as a phone call back. I went in multiple times to talk to the managers of a couple places and they said theyd review it, but low and behold i got nothing. Unless you knew somebody who worked there, you werent getting the job. They neither want to deal with people under 18, nor did they want inexperienced workers (which ironically is the biggest obstacle to actually getting experience). Turning 18 didnt even really help much at all. They still dont give you the time of day. Even if they hire you, they give you barely any hours, and the hours they do give you is always the absolute most inconvenient times. you're lucky to get 20 hours at minimum wage a week. Thats barely even owning a POS junker car on that salary just to get to and from school and work. AND THEY EXPECT YOU TO PAY 41,000 A YEAR FOR SCHOOL?!?!?!?

These colleges need their staff fired. They need a complete overhaul with crushing, swift, and assertive reform to make PUBLIC colleges ACTUALLY AFFORDABLE for 18 year olds with zero income. Why we continue to let universities price gouge in the most extreme and detrimental sense possible is beyond me. We need these corporatist dinosaurs out of office immediately before they destroy whatever future young americans have. This country is going to go absolutely nowhere if kids come out of college with debt so massive they couldnt dream of paying it off on the salary that their degree would earn them. Sorry to point it out, but baby boomers have effectively ruined their grandchildren's lives. College degrees have become as worthless as the dollar bill.

nikimcbee
06-28-14, 04:27 PM
So what you're saying is my Western lesbian music studies was a waste of time?

Pay me the big bucks man.

Wolferz
06-28-14, 04:34 PM
What a LIE, McBee!

That stick isn't invisible.:O:

But, finding a job that pays enough to live on after college is.
Then there's that crushing student loan to deal with that will really make you sweat.

Why do they call it higher learning?
Because you have to be high to even consider getting a degree that isn't even suitable to use as toilet paper.:-? For the life of me, I can't figure out why it takes four years and $160 g's to learn how to say;
"Would you like fries with that?":nope:
They probably charge ten grand for the jar of Vaseline to boot.

Wolferz
06-28-14, 04:59 PM
So what you're saying is my Western lesbian music studies was a waste of time?

Pay me the big bucks man.

If you're working for Melissa Etheridge, certainly not! I'm sure toting anti-tuna mouthwash would pay very well.:yep: If you happen to have minored in ironing flannel shirts.

nikimcbee
06-28-14, 05:03 PM
If you're working for Melissa Etheridge, certainly not! I'm sure toting anti-tuna mouthwash would pay very well.:yep: If you happen to have minored in ironing flannel shirts.

Just what exactly are you saying?
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7f/0f/59/7f0f5943366f51375a6f0d8c96ff5c2d.jpg

Wolferz
06-28-14, 05:10 PM
Just what exactly are you saying?
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7f/0f/59/7f0f5943366f51375a6f0d8c96ff5c2d.jpg

Please hold your questions until the lecture is concluded.:03:

Tribesman
06-28-14, 05:24 PM
With prices like those it explains why town is so full of American students.

Stealhead
06-28-14, 06:57 PM
All a part of a larger problem at the end of the day.I got my schooling paid for by the military while on active duty of course in my current job my degree means nothing.I suppose you have to deal with the system or find a way to work your way through.And some people do still work several jobs while going to school.If you really want something you will find a way to achieve the end goal.It does not work out for everyone exactly as they planned but nothing in life usually does. Sometimes a person can ride high on the horse and other times they get trampled under the horses hooves.

Some people are lucky and have a silver spoon in their mouth at birth they have it easier.The person that comes up the hard usually fights harder and has a better work ethic.

Platapus
06-28-14, 08:08 PM
I received my Master's degree from a government operated college. All funding is determined by congress.

Even before I graduated, I got hit up for money from the "alumni association"?

Huh? What exactly could the college spend any privately raised money on without breaking federal law??

It turned out that the college was asking me to give them money for a slush fund to pay for the "guest speakers", aka faculty beer buddies, to come to the college and give us motivational talks.

These talks were so popular that the college made attendance mandatory and we had to physically log in and out of the room... and now they expected me to pay for some retired buddy to get extra money under the table????

Uh no. So much no that if you ask me again, I will contact a federal attorney and let them know about this slush fund.

But even in my civilian education, it is more about profit for the school then it is for education. I *thought* that a private school would have higher standards than a public university. Yeah, I was wrong about that too.

My student loans for my doctorate are coming due and I will have to get a part time job teaching, just to pay off the loan. :/\\!!

Jimbuna
06-29-14, 04:12 AM
My daughter passed her degree earlier this week and I footed the entire bill but of course that is in the UK.

Schroeder
06-29-14, 04:52 AM
My daughter passed her degree earlier this week and I footed the entire bill but of course that is in the UK.
And how much would that be in the UK?

Jimbuna
06-29-14, 05:00 AM
And how much would that be in the UK?

Approximately 30K over the three year term and my daughter informs me the tuition fees are treble as of this coming academic year so I suppose I got off lightly :huh:

Tribesman
06-29-14, 07:34 AM
Approximately 30K over the three year term and my daughter informs me the tuition fees are treble as of this coming academic year so I suppose I got off lightly :huh:

Lightly?
The wifes cost just over 10k for the 3 years, then a firm paid for the 4th.
The foreign students however were getting stung for 8-9k a year.

vienna
07-01-14, 12:11 PM
Congrats on your daughter passing her degree, Jim... :up:

We have the same situation here in the US where, from year to year, college and university costs are rising in proportions way above the cost of living increases or any seeming logic. 30,000 pounds is roughly $50,000 US dollars; for an education in one of the fair to better institutions here, that would just about cover a year or a year and half of studies. Even the state and community colleges are hiking up their fees to alarming rates...

<O>

Jimbuna
07-02-14, 04:48 AM
Aye....education certainly comes at a price these days.

Wolferz
07-02-14, 06:28 AM
Aye....education certainly comes at a price these days.

You know what they say...
Knowledge is power.

If you want the power, you're going to pay through the nose for it.:-?

I'll just continue to educate myself for free.:up:

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education"
~Mark Twain