PDA

View Full Version : How a $500 car beat $400k Rally Racers

Red October1984
06-26-14, 11:24 PM
I love this story. :smug: Makes me want to go buy a cheap-o car and enter Rally America or something.

LINK (http://jalopnik.com/5497042/how-a-500-craigslist-car-beat-400k-rally-racers)

Betonov
06-27-14, 12:56 AM
Well, he did buy the one BMW that was (almost) built as a rally car when it drove off the line :)

Red October1984
06-27-14, 01:37 AM
Well, he did buy the one BMW that was (almost) built as a rally car when it drove off the line :)

True....but still. A self-taught sort-of mechanic just buys a car and manages to enter WRC.

I found out that there's a Rally America race not more than 3 hours northwest of me at Salem, MO. I missed the 2014...but hopefully I'll see if I can't go to the 2015 100 Acre Wood Rally.

There's also some sort of Regional Championship Rally about 45 minutes north of me. It's still TBD so I haven't missed it this year. :arrgh!:

None of this is WRC...but it's local...and it's awesome.

Betonov
06-27-14, 01:58 AM
Buy an Audi Quattro, the old one, the kind that raced in B-group rally.
And a good comic, you'll be bored waiting on the finish line :03:

Jimbuna
06-27-14, 05:11 AM
You could always do it 'differently'.

Young driver Jack Cottle drove friends onto race circuit for prank
He got onto Brands Hatch track in Kent while laughing and joking
Cars can clearly be seen in the video racing past the driver's vehicle
Prank meant VW Beetle race, which crowds had flocked to, was stopped

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2658725/Is-Britains-idiotic-driver-Video-posted-YouTube-appears-boy-racer-driving-girlfriends-VW-Polo-Brands-Hatch-circuit-middle-race.html

Wolferz
06-27-14, 07:39 AM
None of that multimillion dollar commercial team crap. Just a man and his car.:up:

Schroeder
06-27-14, 08:18 AM
And a good comic, you'll be bored lying in the coffin. :03:
Fixed that for you.:88)

Betonov
06-27-14, 10:31 AM
Fixed that for you.:88)

Ah, the reason they banned B-group :oops:

Red October1984
06-27-14, 10:33 AM
And a good comic, you'll be bored waiting on the finish line :03:

I actually found a 1987 5000CS Turbo Quattro for sale not too far from here. $4750

Course, I'll need to pay for suspension, tires, skid plate and an FIA roll cage...so it'll come to a little more than $5K.

Wolferz
06-28-14, 05:58 AM
We know that you definitely need a "roll" cage, Red. :03::O::D

Herr-Berbunch
06-28-14, 06:07 AM
I used to love pulling up on my £3k bike next to cars that cost £60k+ and leaving them behind. :D

Jimbuna
06-28-14, 06:19 AM

Naughty...but nice :)

Stealhead
06-28-14, 04:30 PM
I actually found a 1987 5000CS Turbo Quattro for sale not too far from here. $4750

Course, I'll need to pay for suspension, tires, skid plate and an FIA roll cage...so it'll come to a little more than $5K.

More than likely been dogged out and probably needs about 4 grand in work just to get into shape for even amateur rally.

Trust me German cars from the 80's can have nightmare electrical issues especially ones that where sold in the US.I have seen guys get so angry they simply took a sledge hammer and smashed the car up.You have to find someone that really knows Audis look at that car even before you buy it.

Used to own a 86 BMW M3 in Germany great car but it had some pesky electrical bugs I never worked out. The worst are VW Scirocco a 1985 of that particular make was the one that got bashed by the sledge hammer.

Red October1984
06-28-14, 10:23 PM

Maybe then I'll have a car indestructable enough. :)

Naughty...but nice :)

Fair enough. :03:

More than likely been dogged out and probably needs about 4 grand in work just to get into shape for even amateur rally.

Was watching a video that was an hour long interview with a Team O'Neil driver, a Rally Mechanic and another enthusiast about how to get into rallying. The driver and mechanic said that the best way to start out is to enter Rallycross races. You don't need anything special to enter those. They said that if you wanted to try one, a popular thing to do is go to the Enterprise Rent-A-Car place or somewhere similar, rent a car and pull the ABS fuse out. Just replace it when you're done and you don't have to pour thousands of dollars into a fancy car.

Trust me German cars from the 80's can have nightmare electrical issues especially ones that where sold in the US.I have seen guys get so angry they simply took a sledge hammer and smashed the car up.You have to find someone that really knows Audis look at that car even before you buy it.

Used to own a 86 BMW M3 in Germany great car but it had some pesky electrical bugs I never worked out. The worst are VW Scirocco a 1985 of that particular make was the one that got bashed by the sledge hammer.

If I was going to make a buy like that, I'd definitely have a mechanic look at it up, down, left, right and backwards. A Turbo Quattro would be awesome though. If any of you guys have one sitting around, I have been in the market for a new car since January. :O:

Stealhead
06-28-14, 10:48 PM
I'd be very careful doing such things in/to a rental car.If they figure out they have you by the balls.These days they really track that stuff some can tell when you exceed the speed limit and will pop you with an extra charge.Just have to come up with a good story if you crash I guess and also buy the full rental insurance.

Back in the 60's Hertz actually had a special version of the Shelby GT350.People often actually would rent them weld in a roll cage and race them at SCCA events.When they where done they'd remove the roll cage and turn the car back in.

Another popular thing was for a Mustang owner to rent a Hertz GT350 and remove the better parts from and swap them out on their formerly less impressive ride.

Normally after so many miles the Hertz 350s where returned to Ford and sold at dealerships after getting refurbished.

Soon enough cars will be like tractor trailers(or the 96% that have qualcom) and they will know everything you do in the vehicle,speeding,fueling.In fact that is what that thing from Progressive does.

An even better starter car would be a Volvo 240 from the late 70's into the 80's good cars and tough as nails.Possibly one of the best cars of the time period.

Red October1984
06-29-14, 12:21 AM
I'd be very careful doing such things in/to a rental car.If they figure out they have you by the balls.These days they really track that stuff some can tell when you exceed the speed limit and will pop you with an extra charge.Just have to come up with a good story if you crash I guess and also buy the full rental insurance.

They did say to make sure you get the rental insurance. :yep: That'd be something I'd take as a given. If you can, make sure you can cover your hind end.

Back in the 60's Hertz actually had a special version of the Shelby GT350.People often actually would rent them weld in a roll cage and race them at SCCA events.When they where done they'd remove the roll cage and turn the car back in.

Another popular thing was for a Mustang owner to rent a Hertz GT350 and remove the better parts from and swap them out on their formerly less impressive ride.

:rock: Those GT350's though...they were nice. I'd love to drive one of those someday.

Soon enough cars will be like tractor trailers(or the 96% that have qualcom) and they will know everything you do in the vehicle,speeding,fueling.In fact that is what that thing from Progressive does.

There's absolutely nothing about that that's okay. :dead:

An even better starter car would be a Volvo 240 from the late 70's into the 80's good cars and tough as nails.Possibly one of the best cars of the time period.

There's nowhere around here I would find a nice Volvo... Nowhere within 2 hours probably. It's already hard to find VW, Audi, Saab, Infiniti, or any of these other kinds of manufacturers. Around here, if you don't drive a Ford, Chevy (and GMC), Toyota, Jeep, Nissan or Mazda...people are going to wonder what planet you're from.

Stealhead
06-29-14, 02:15 AM
There's absolutely nothing about that that's okay. :dead:

Hmmm 50/50 if you ask me.If someone did in fact drive like a complete dingbat they deserve what they get.I do not think a private vehicle even if it did speed such information should be given to the law.However if they are routinely exceeding the speed limit they do deserve to pay a higher insurance premium as they are in fact a higher risk simple truth is the faster you go the less time you have to react thus the higher the likelihood that an accident will occur.

As to the rental insurance there surely is a clause that says that racing and other types of driving actives are not allowed or covered. You can own a WRX STI but if you drive it like a rally car your warranty and insurance probably will not cover it.

Red October1984
06-29-14, 11:39 AM
Hmmm 50/50 if you ask me.If someone did in fact drive like a complete dingbat they deserve what they get.I do not think a private vehicle even if it did speed such information should be given to the law.However if they are routinely exceeding the speed limit they do deserve to pay a higher insurance premium as they are in fact a higher risk simple truth is the faster you go the less time you have to react thus the higher the likelihood that an accident will occur.

Well, let's say after a DWI or too many tickets we can do something like that...but not in every car for everyday driving.

As to the rental insurance there surely is a clause that says that racing and other types of driving actives are not allowed or covered. You can own a WRX STI but if you drive it like a rally car your warranty and insurance probably will not cover it.

Well, don't tell them then. :O:

em2nought
06-29-14, 05:34 PM
Shared this on my friend's facebook page, his WRX STI engine has been in the process of being repaired at a shop for the last four years. :o

Red October1984
06-30-14, 06:19 PM
Shared this on my friend's facebook page, his WRX STI engine has been in the process of being repaired at a shop for the last four years. :o

Mechanics always look for ways to screw you over... :O:

Stealhead
06-30-14, 11:52 PM
The dishonest ones. Then you have shops where no one knows what they are doing.
em2 buddy sounds like the disorganized subgroup to me suprised the place is making money.

vienna
07-01-14, 12:38 PM
A lot of the time, it's not the quality or cost of the car, it's the quality of the driver. Many, many years ago, I was driving through Hollywood in an old Datsun sedan when I inadvertently did something to apparently offend a guy driving a tricked out Porsche. It was a sort of early form of road rage. He took after me, shaking his fists, and trying to catch up with me. I am a rather good driver, but he was one of those guys who buys an expensive piece of quality machinery and has no clue how to use it. He chased me for several blocks, but I always eluded him. At one point, on a rather wide street, I pulled a 180 and he had the hardest time making a turn around. I turned down a side street and stopped at a stop sign. The street passing in front of me was fairly well travelled and I saw a gap coming up between two large trucks approaching from my left. I waited for the right moment, gunned my engine and slipped between the two trucks. The Porsche was just about close behind me, but could not make the same maneuver. The driver slammed on his brakes, pulled sharply to the right and slammed his right front tire into a high sidewalk curb. The whole tire and wheel assembly folded right under the Porsche like those folding landing gear on WW2 fighters. I had driven a couple of blocks down the street, made a U-turn, and drove past the Porsche; the owner was outside his car surveying the damage caused by his chase, and if he wasn't fully livid before, he was now. I just smiled inwardly and continued on my way...

<O>

Red October1984
07-01-14, 02:30 PM
A lot of the time, it's not the quality or cost of the car, it's the quality of the driver. Many, many years ago, I was driving through Hollywood in an old Datsun sedan when I inadvertently did something to apparently offend a guy driving a tricked out Porsche. It was a sort of early form of road rage. He took after me, shaking his fists, and trying to catch up with me. I am a rather good driver, but he was one of those guys who buys an expensive piece of quality machinery and has no clue how to use it. He chased me for several blocks, but I always eluded him. At one point, on a rather wide street, I pulled a 180 and he had the hardest time making a turn around. I turned down a side street and stopped at a stop sign. The street passing in front of me was fairly well travelled and I saw a gap coming up between two large trucks approaching from my left. I waited for the right moment, gunned my engine and slipped between the two trucks. The Porsche was just about close behind me, but could not make the same maneuver. The driver slammed on his brakes, pulled sharply to the right and slammed his right front tire into a high sidewalk curb. The whole tire and wheel assembly folded right under the Porsche like those folding landing gear on WW2 fighters. I had driven a couple of blocks down the street, made a U-turn, and drove past the Porsche; the owner was outside his car surveying the damage caused by his chase, and if he wasn't fully livid before, he was now. I just smiled inwardly and continued on my way...

<O>

:rock: That's awesome. Haha.

I wonder how he explained that one.

em2nought
07-01-14, 09:59 PM
The dishonest ones. Then you have shops where no one knows what they are doing.
em2 buddy sounds like the disorganized subgroup to me suprised the place is making money.

I think it's his karma for putting a vette that was try to chase him into a wall at a known sharp corner.

Stealhead
07-01-14, 11:41 PM

<O>

Saw something similar once while I was stationed out in Tuscon. Only I think in this case the other driver was trying to show that he was faster than my friend more than anything else. As I recall the guy was driving an early 90's Firebird or Trans Am. Well my buddy took the next left hand turn island and this guy tried to follow.Too fast of course and he nailed the curb pretty hard this was at night as well and it made a pretty good shower of sparks.Guess he was faster at calling a wrecker.

vienna
07-03-14, 12:09 PM
Saw something similar once while I was stationed out in Tuscon. Only I think in this case the other driver was trying to show that he was faster than my friend more than anything else. As I recall the guy was driving an early 90's Firebird or Trans Am. Well my buddy took the next left hand turn island and this guy tried to follow.Too fast of course and he nailed the curb pretty hard this was at night as well and it made a pretty good shower of sparks.Guess he was faster at calling a wrecker.

I am always amused at the idiots who, just because they own a "fast car", seem to believe they have to prove it to the whole world without any thought of the possible consequences. When I lived in San Francisco, I used to regularly travel down 19th Avenue, a street using a synchronized traffic signal system: if you maintained a constant speed (as I recall, it was 34 MPH), you would hit every intersection with a green light in your favor. There were a few times when some fool would try to lure me into an impromptu "drag race" at a red light. I would let them gun away at the green only to see them screech to a halt at the next intersection at the red light. I would just ease on by at my steady 34 mph pace...

I do recall how one carload of guys tried to get myself and another driver to participate in a "drag". I happened to notice a police car just barely visible down the street at about mid block. So did the other driver. Not so the "dragsters". They peeled out at full throttle and zoomed past the cops, who took after them with all lights and sirens, pulled them over and were giving all of the car's occupants the full treatment. Myself and the other driver just eased on by with a disdainful "tsk, tsk" for those darned lawbreakers... :)

This subject has also reminded me of this clip from the TV show "Person of Interest"; you gotta love a woman who loves fast cars (particularly if she's Sarah Shahi):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MFBni6bymU

<O>

Red October1984
07-03-14, 02:15 PM
I am always amused at the idiots who, just because they own a "fast car", seem to believe they have to prove it to the whole world without any thought of the possible consequences. When I lived in San Francisco, I used to regularly travel down 19th Avenue, a street using a synchronized traffic signal system: if you maintained a constant speed (as I recall, it was 34 MPH), you would hit every intersection with a green light in your favor. There were a few times when some fool would try to lure me into an impromptu "drag race" at a red light. I would let them gun away at the green only to see them screech to a halt at the next intersection at the red light. I would just ease on by at my steady 34 mph pace...

Living on the edge I see.....at 34 MPH. :har:

That's a pretty good story.

I once saw a guy in town a couple days before christmas. The speed limit is 45 out on the main road where all the lights are. This main road is one of the busy roads and it's an interstate overpass right in the middle of town. There's a Wal-Mart at one end and the speed limit for the parking lot is like 15. This idiot tears out of his parking spot in Wal-Mart nearly putting his car sideways. Speeds out of the lot at probably 50 MPH. I was about to pull onto the main road and I saw this in my mirror. Just as I'm pulling out, this guy takes the inside of the turn like a racecar driver and starts weaving in and out of traffic at a good 60-75 MPH on the main road. He runs 4 red lights and nearly gets T-Boned 3 or 4 times before I lost sight of him.

I swear....some people... I think he was driving like a Kia Optima or something similar to that.

vienna
07-03-14, 02:47 PM
Living on the edge I see.....at 34 MPH. :har:

I learned long ago you get better results on synchronized streets if you stick to the limits or thereabouts set by the system. On 19th avenue, which is a rather long stretch of street in San Francisco, if you follow the 34 MPH rule, you will never hit a red light the whole trip. I used to amaze people who rode with me as we passed by the other cars, who, having jack rabbited from light to light, were just starting to get in gear while I cruised past...

Driving in San Francisco is a good training ground for defensive driving. There are a lot of blind corners since almost every building is constructed right up to the property line and obscures the cross traffic. Then there are the hills, which aside from being very, very steep, hide what is coming over the crest as you reach the top of the hill. Speeding in the City is a fool's game; if you don't think and look carefully, you'll find yourself in a big predicament. Brakes and transmissions are the most replaced parts on cars driven regularly in SF. One of the amusements we had growing up there was watching tourists, who were used to getting right up close to the fender of the vehicle in front of them in whatever city they came from, pull right up to within an inch or two of a large vehicle like a truck or bus on steep hills at a stop light or sign. The look of horror on their faces as the vehicle in front would slip back as the truck/bus driver would try to get the vehicle into forward gear was priceless. Old City hands always knew to leave a good sized gap between themselves and any large vehicle ahead of them on a steep hill. I've seen a lot of dented or crushed grills and car hoods in the time I lived in SF...

Oh, by the way, don't be fooled by the "34 mph" thing; a lot of us young guys were doing "Bullitt" like maneuvers long before Steve McQueen; it is almost like a rite of passage for teenagers in San Francisco...

<O>

Red October1984
07-03-14, 05:59 PM
I learned long ago you get better results on synchronized streets if you stick to the limits or thereabouts set by the system. On 19th avenue, which is a rather long stretch of street in San Francisco, if you follow the 34 MPH rule, you will never hit a red light the whole trip. I used to amaze people who rode with me as we passed by the other cars, who, having jack rabbited from light to light, were just starting to get in gear while I cruised past...

I'll keep that in mind if I ever find myself down there. :haha:

Driving in San Francisco is a good training ground for defensive driving. There are a lot of blind corners since almost every building is constructed right up to the property line and obscures the cross traffic. Then there are the hills, which aside from being very, very steep, hide what is coming over the crest as you reach the top of the hill. Speeding in the City is a fool's game; if you don't think and look carefully, you'll find yourself in a big predicament. Brakes and transmissions are the most replaced parts on cars driven regularly in SF. One of the amusements we had growing up there was watching tourists, who were used to getting right up close to the fender of the vehicle in front of them in whatever city they came from, pull right up to within an inch or two of a large vehicle like a truck or bus on steep hills at a stop light or sign. The look of horror on their faces as the vehicle in front would slip back as the truck/bus driver would try to get the vehicle into forward gear was priceless. Old City hands always knew to leave a good sized gap between themselves and any large vehicle ahead of them on a steep hill. I've seen a lot of dented or crushed grills and car hoods in the time I lived in SF...

Sounds like a more concentrated version of driving out here. So many hills and blind corners...

Oh, by the way, don't be fooled by the "34 mph" thing; a lot of us young guys were doing "Bullitt" like maneuvers long before Steve McQueen; it is almost like a rite of passage for teenagers in San Francisco...

I guess that was back when California was cool. :D

Stealhead
07-04-14, 01:21 AM
The "synched" speed works in many urban areas. Usually if the road speed is 45 MPH if you go between 33~36MPH odds are pretty good you'll catch most intersections with a green light. I do this all the time especially when driving my truck it gets annoying shifting through a 10 speed pattern over and over much easier to stay in one gear and ease through.

By the way a semi's 10 speed is in fact a five position pattern with 1/6, 2/7, 3/8, 4/9, 5/10. Usually you start in 3rd or 4th then from 6th up you have the range selector set to high.

Of course synching does not work every time and sometimes the light pattern in an area can just be off.